Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risho
    • May 2010

guys it was a joke. lighten up.

edit: its funny; the negative reaction pissed me off, so I responded with a negative response. then I realized that must be how it felt to read my joke.

so I want to apologize for that joke. it came from a place of humor but i didnt realize it could also come off offensively. so the cycle of pissed off ends now

gassho

risho
    -sattoday
    Last edited by Risho; 06-23-2017, 02:14 AM.
    Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Risho

edit: its funny; the negative reaction pissed me off, so I responded with a negative response. then I realized that must be how it felt to read my joke.

so I want to apologize for that joke. it came from a place of humor but i didnt realize it could also come off offensively. so the cycle of pissed off ends now

gassho

risho
      -sattoday
      It was a joke! It was also funny ... because it is kinda true about all of us about something!

And Jisho had the kindness to scramble his F#%$@#*^ words. (I assume that F#%$@#*^ = Fudgin')

By the way, no place to put this ... I came across this "Ceremonia de Zen Clown" this morning, from a group in Columbia. We have to do this one day.

(Actually, this is kinda how we look on our best days!)

Como encerramento do Sesshin (dias 10 a 13) do 3o Encontro Zen del América del Sur, realizado de 7 a 13 de março de 2016 em Bogotá, Columbia, foi realizado u...

Gassho, J

SatToday
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Risho

gassho

risho
        -sattoday
        No apology needed Risho, just sharing my view, all is good.

Gassho
        Shingen

SatToday/LAH

Comment

• Kyonin
          Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
          • Oct 2010

Clown Zen ceremony. I love it. We should do it

It reminds me of our own Harlem Zen Shake!

Gassho,

Kyonin
          Hondō Kyōnin
          奔道 協忍

Comment

• Risho
            • May 2010

hahahahah

Gassho,

Risho
            -sattoday
            Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• hamlin81
              • Jan 2017

I've been vegetarian for about 16 years.

I think people should be mindful of where their food comes from. I think meat-eating is extremely violent. If you buy meat from a grocery store, you are creating a demand that requires another animal to be killed to replace it. It's promoting death and suffering.

I've often struggled with any spiritual path that doesn't promote vegetarianism as it's ideal. And I also get very exasperated that most people in our culture don't seem to think twice about killing for food.

That being said, I think MINDFULNESS is the key. Even if someone doesn't completely give up meat, I think reducing meat consumption is a big start. Even having a "vegetarian day" once every week. Or choosing a vegetarian option when it is available. Little steps...

If everyone just reduced, it would still have a big impact on the amount of animals that have to die for our food. Sometimes being compassionate also requires some inconvenience in what we are accustomed to.
              Gassho,
              Michael

#SatToday / LAH

Comment

• Jishin
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by hamlin81
                I've been vegetarian for about 16 years.

I think people should be mindful of where their food comes from. I think meat-eating is extremely violent. If you buy meat from a grocery store, you are creating a demand that requires another animal to be killed to replace it. It's promoting death and suffering.

I've often struggled with any spiritual path that doesn't promote vegetarianism as it's ideal. And I also get very exasperated that most people in our culture don't seem to think twice about killing for food.

That being said, I think MINDFULNESS is the key. Even if someone doesn't completely give up meat, I think reducing meat consumption is a big start. Even having a "vegetarian day" once every week. Or choosing a vegetarian option when it is available. Little steps...

If everyone just reduced, it would still have a big impact on the amount of animals that have to die for our food. Sometimes being compassionate also requires some inconvenience in what we are accustomed to.
                Hi,

I love a delicious medium rare steak when there is nothing else to eat. I bet you do too. [emoji4]

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jishin
                  Hi,

I love a delicious medium rare steak when there is nothing else to eat. I bet you do too. [emoji4]

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
                  Jishin,

I think it wrong to say that he would love to eat steak when he has strong feelings otherwise. Some people might, for example, even prefer to not eat to the extent possible rather than eat meat. Thank you.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

By the way, no better place to post this. Here is a rather well known 18th Century Japanese satire on Buddha's Nehan (Parinirvance Death Scene) called "Vegetable Nirvana" ...

Here is the original ...

Yasai Nehan (Vegetable Nirvana)

By Ito Jakuchu (March 2, 1716 - October 27, 1800)
                    Yasai Nehan painted around 1792

For an explanation of the significance of this painting of vegetables by Ito Jakuchu,
                    Parinirvana (Death scene - Liberation) paintings, the views of Tendai Buddhists
                    about the Buddha-nature of plants, and the cultural significance of radishes and
                    turnips in Japan, please refer to the essay by Yoshiaki Shimizu "Multiple
                    Commemorations: The Vegetable Nehan of Ito Jakuchu," found in
                    Flowing Traces: Buddhism in the Literary and Visual Arts of Japan,
                    edited by James H. Sanford (Princeton University, 1992).

-------------

The implication of the content of the Yasai Hehan is that the issue of life
                    and death for all beings, sentient or insentient, always returns to the essential
                    teaching of the Buddha. Blurring the conventional distinction of things,
                    this message applies as much to vegetables as to humans.
                    - Yoshiaki Shimizu, Multiple Commemorations

Comment

• Jishin
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jundo
                      Jishin,

I think it wrong to say that he would love to eat steak when he has strong feelings otherwise. Some people might, for example, even prefer to not eat to the extent possible rather than eat meat. Thank you.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
                      I have been a vegetarian for close to 2 years but unfortunately do not have the choice of always not eating meat. For example, when I am traveling or when my kids bring home leftovers that will be thrown away. You are right. I should not apply my ethical standards to other people. Just being my goofy �� self.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• hamlin81
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Jundo
                        Jishin,

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
                        Thanks Jundo. It's definitely something I feel extremely strongly about.
                        Last edited by hamlin81; 07-03-2017, 06:48 PM.
                        Gassho,
                        Michael

#SatToday / LAH

Comment

• Kaishin
                          • Dec 2010

Hi,

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
                          If there is nothing else to eat, just let me know and I will slaughter a deer and send you several months worth of food!

Or if you prefer, I can send you a pallet of tofu, but that will sadly have a much greater negative impact on the environment, and significantly more suffering involved in its creation But you'll feel better about it, right?
                          Thanks,
                          Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
                          Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Jishin
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Kaishin
                            If there is nothing else to eat, just let me know and I will slaughter a deer and send you several months worth of food!

Or if you prefer, I can send you a pallet of tofu, but that will sadly have a much greater negative impact on the environment, and significantly more suffering involved in its creation But you'll feel better about it, right?
                            I am a vegetarian and am not soliciting, but if you send me some deer meat I can not let it go to waste.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

I am a vegetarian and am not soliciting, but if you send me some deer meat I can not let it go to waste.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Http://www.treeleaf.org/now/
                              From the evidence, this appears to have been the historical Buddha's attitude on such things.

However, that was in the days before industrial farming, Costco and massive pollution from pig farms etc.

Lagoons of animal waste flooded by Hurricane Matthew are a public health danger that may be repeated over and over again.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• hamlin81
                                • Jan 2017

I think if I've read correctly, Buddha and his disciples only ate meat if it wasn't killed specifically for them.
                                Gassho,
                                Michael

#SatToday / LAH

Comment

Working...