X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tairin
    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Kotei
    I have no idea what is happening there.
    As you can see in the little video, I recorded with our "Gojo" test user logged in, the first thread I clicked on the arrows had 4 post, but it showed the beginning of it, not the last post.
    Hmmm. The User settings-> account -> Display mode is set to "posts", not to "latest" as I was testing. But I don't know if that has something to do with it.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Hi Kotei

I just wanted to follow up and say that mysteriously the down arrows have started working for me. Not sure what changed …. And of course I can’t completely discount the chance of user error on my side

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Just a note ...

I notice that, in addition to "private messages," we now have something called "visitor messages." I meant to PM someone and used the latter. Note that the latter IS NOT PRIVATE! I found this online ...

This is just a heads up for those unaware. When you click on a user, you go to their profile. There is a text box open there for you to write a message. That is not a Private message, it is a Visitor message that can be seen by any member who views the profile.
      If you want to send a private message, when you get in the persons profile, you must click on the 'Private Message' button.

I really dislike this. It was better before when you clicked on a user name, you were given options, one of which was 'send Private Message'. It was very clear.
      When you were in a profile, there was an option to leave a 'visitor message' which was also clear.
      This new way creates a visitor message without ever telling you that is what you are doing. The 'private message' button hovering over the text box just adds to the confusion.
      tboy , is there any way to get around this issue?

edit: also, if you are in a thread, next to the user name is a 'bubble', which if you hover over, says 'start a conversation'. This will be a PM, but the 'subject' will automatically be entered as the thread title. You can backspace that title away, and enter a subject of your choosing.
      I guess that there is no way to switch off "visitor message," yes?

Gassho, Jundo
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kotei
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Jundo
        I guess that there is no way to switch off "visitor message," yes?
        I believe there is no way to disable it globally, but a more granular way of handling it.

Everyone can choose in the User Settings->Account if the visitor messages are enabled or disabled on their profile.

There are also options that can be set on a per Usergroup base:
        Can Post Visitor Messages to Own Profile yes/no
        Can Post Visitor Messages to Others' Profile yes/no

So we could deny posting messages on Others' profiles, which would save us from accidentally mistaking it for PMs, but allow doing it on the own profile.
        That would imho change the nature of this feature from "I can leave a public message on the profile of someone else" to "I can post some text on my own profile for others to read".
        Setting both for all groups to "no" should in effect disable the feature completely.

Gassho,
        Kotei sat/lah today.,

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
        Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Comment

• Kotei
          Treeleaf Unsui
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Tairin
          I just wanted to follow up and say that mysteriously the down arrows have started working for me. Not sure what changed …. And of course I can’t completely discount the chance of user error on my side
          Thank you Tairin,
          I have still no idea what happened there. The only time they didn't work for me was as I tested with different browsers and forgot to check the "Remember me" checkbox during login. It logged me off after some time and I accidentally viewed an open channel (sub-forum) as unregistered visitor.
          Glad it is working for now
          Gassho,
          Kotei sat/lah today.
          Last edited by Kotei; 06-15-2024, 06:39 AM.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
          Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Comment

Working...