Return to Sender....maybe! (Jundo: Maybe Not!)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sekishi
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by dharmasponge
    I'll read and re read.....
    Then just sit. ^_^

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sattoday #readtoday
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Comment

• Jamen
      • May 2014

Intellectual banter can be just another toy we use to satisfy the monkey mind. We honestly don't ever expect, or even want, to capture any real answers. Because it feels too good attaching to these endlessly entertaining discussions in our own heads.
      Last edited by Jamen; 02-01-2015, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Sekishi
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Apr 2013

Asking questions is such a basic human activity. It is central to the scientific method, how children learn about their world, etc. However it can also impede our practice sometimes. There is a wonderful sutra in which the wanderer Vacchagotta comes to the Buddha with some pretty core metaphysical questions and the Buddha simply observes noble silence...

I love this sutra and try to remember its teaching when I find myself overly attached to answers...

Vacchagotta comes to the Buddha and asks:

'Venerable Gotama, is there an Atman?

The Buddha is silent.

'Then Venerable Gotama, is there no Atman?

Again the Buddha is silent.

Vacchagotta gets up and goes away.

After the ascetic has left, Ananda asks the Buddha why He did not answer Vacchagotta's question. The Buddha explains His position:

'Ananda, when asked by Vacchagotta, the Wanderer: 'Is there a Self?, if I had answered: 'There is a Self'. Then, Ananda, that would be siding with those recluses and brahmanas who hold the eternalist theory (sassata-vada).'

'And Ananda, when asked by the Wanderer: 'Is there no Self?, if I had answered: 'There is no Self', then that would be siding with those recluses and brahmanas who hold the annihilationist theory (uccedavada)'.

'Again, Ananda, when asked by Vacchagotta: 'Is there a Self? If I had answered: 'There is a Self', would that be in accordance with my knowledge that all dhammas are without Self?

'Surely not, Sir.'

'And again, Ananda, when asked by the Wanderer: 'Is there no Self?', if I had answered: 'There is no Self', then that would have created a greater confusion in the already confused Vacchagotta. For he would have thought: Formerly indeed I had an Atman (Self), but now I haven't got one.' (Samyutta Nikaya).
        Gassho,
        Sekishi #sattoday
        Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Hi Guys,

I came across a lovely short talk by Zen Teacher Steve Hagen that I would like to drop in here and another thread. It is right to the point, bare bones, and the title says it all ... well worth a listen on what the "non-purpose" and "nothing to get" of Zazen is all about ...

Useless Zazen and Other Imponderables

Gassho, Jundo
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

I would like to recommend yet ANOTHER recent Steve Hagen talk on Just Sitting and Just This ... unadorned, unpretentious, straight and clear as it gets in explaining the crazy-sane whys of Shikantaza.

(If you haven't guessed, I am catching up on some Steve Hagen talks recently. Although he is semi-retired, I am going to approach him as a possible Guest Teacher for a Zazenkai her).

Recommended talk for all, I am going to post it a couple of places around the forum today ...

Practice-Enlightenment

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Ugrok
              • Sep 2014

Thank you Jundo !

Gassho,

Ugrok, sat today

Comment

• dharmasponge
                • Oct 2013

Sorry Jundo,

Only just seen this - got a new phone and forgot to set up Tapatalk so missed loads of stuff.....doh!

I am sure it was nothing of any important...probably the same inane drivel I usually spout about not getting it
                Sat today

Comment

Working...