X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adahee
    • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Jundo
    So, for example, the mirror holds all within without judgement, in total non-resistance and equanimity, without separation or distinction of one thing from another ("this" and "that," me and you, friend and enemy, beautiful vs. ugly, etc.) In Zazen, one can sit within this mirror mind of equanimity and non-distinction, with all things both wholly one thing (the boundless mirror), and all things also wholly their own individual thing too shining brightly (each thing in the mirror might be said to also shine as the entire boundless mirror).

That said, our daily life must function as countless bits of shattered mirror broken into this and that, me and you, friend and enemy, beautiful and ugly together. Master Dogen observed that, even so, it is still the same mirror, with each individual shattered thing still wholly one thing (still wholly the boundless mirror) and shining as its own individual thing too (each is still fully holding the entire boundless and unbroken mirror).

For Dogen, it is not simply that we should call the former view of an unbroken mirror "wisdom," and the latter broken world as "ignorance," but we can come to see the wisdom that is always shining as and perfuming the ignorance. To see ignorance and division alone is ignorance, but to see through ignorance and division is wisdom in the guise of ignorance and division, i.e., the ignorance and division is just another face of wisdom and wholeness.
    Yes that helps immensely. Thank you. So the model isn't concerned with the reflection. Rather the model considers the mirror as a perfect and infinite container that holds things perfectly without bias. I think I'm starting to "grok in full" (if anyone is a Heinlein fan). I think I see the wisdom of the broken mirror concept too.

I love, "The depth of the drop is the height of the moon". That one line spoke a great deal to me.

Again, I thank you for your teachings. I have so much to learn.

Gassho,
    steve
    ST/LaH

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by adahee
      Yes that helps immensely. Thank you. So the model isn't concerned with the reflection. Rather the model considers the mirror as a perfect and infinite container that holds things perfectly without bias. I think I'm starting to "grok in full" (if anyone is a Heinlein fan). I think I see the wisdom of the broken mirror concept too.

I love, "The depth of the drop is the height of the moon". That one line spoke a great deal to me.

Again, I thank you for your teachings. I have so much to learn.

Gassho,
      steve
      ST/LaH
      Hi Steve,

The equanimity and "holding all within" of the mirror is something to feel in the bones, when sitting Zazen and when out in living the rest of life encountering all the sharp and round shards of the mirror.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• simone
        • Jun 2020

Video #1 evoked a strong visceral reaction to the contrast between blender and calm. I “felt” how violent my constant mental chatter can become and had to watch it several times before I could allow myself to move on. Video #2 raised self-doubt and the question in me, “can I actually put down the hammer?”

Gassho
        Simone
        ~sat today~

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by simone
          Video #1 evoked a strong visceral reaction to the contrast between blender and calm. I “felt” how violent my constant mental chatter can become and had to watch it several times before I could allow myself to move on. Video #2 raised self-doubt and the question in me, “can I actually put down the hammer?”

Gassho
          Simone
          ~sat today~
          Hi Simone,

Welcome again.

You will find that many acts in Zen practice happen by -not- trying too much. I sometimes compare letting thoughts go to the child's game of "Chinese finger cuffs." Remember those?

The more one pulls and pulls, the tighter they become, and the more difficult to escape. But simply relax, stop pulling, and they drop right off.

Remember that our way is not to stop all thoughts and emotions in Zazen. Thoughts still come and go. It is just that we don't engage with them, let them lead us one after the other, or buy into what the emotions are selling. We just disentangle from thoughts.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

Comment

• Tosei
            • Jul 2020

Number 7. Masterful metaphors. Dawn after a cloudy night.

Gassho,

Peter, who sat.
            東西 - Tōsei - East West
            there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Comment

• Koutoku
              • Mar 2020

I am not able to relocate the thread for Zendo do and don't during Zazenkai. Please advise. Thanks.

Gassho,
              Judy
              sat
              Koutoku

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by MJG27
                I am not able to relocate the thread for Zendo do and don't during Zazenkai. Please advise. Thanks.

Gassho,
                Judy
                sat
                Here they are Judy, both videos ... (Oh, and not a "wrong," but would you mind to put a human face photo to accompany your posts? It helps us look each other in the eye a bit here. Thank you. Here is how: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...n-Avatar-Photo )

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
                https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

Comment

• Bokugan
                  • Dec 2019

I just wanted to share that two of the books recommended by Jundo really helped me shape a comfortable way to sit. Over three sentences here, but feel it is okay in this case

The Posture of Meditation by Will Johnson

This helped me understand the importance of alignment/relaxation/resilience (as the author breaks it down in the book). Specifically, feeling the pull of gravity on my posture and working with that to benefit my comfort so that I am not distracted by discomfort as much. Here, I feel that posture is absolutely what ever works best for an individual, so no matter if one has to recline, use a chair, is lucky enough to sit in a lotus variation, etc. --- I feel like this is a great book for all.

Opening the Hand of Thought by Kōshō Uchiyama

Among so many other things, this text helped me to learn how to handle a wandering mind. In it, he mentions returning to the posture/entrusting everything to the posture, which is how I think these two books work so well together. I take this to be: take a moment and reflect on what I learned from The Posture of Meditation at the beginning and during when I catch myself drifting. When my mind is wandering, I notice that my posture has often shifted, tensed up, or I'm leaning out of my center. I adjust ever so slightly, let go of the hand of thought, the rinse and repeat.

Anyway, I know these are already recommended highly in the Sangha, but I wanted to share from one who is a beginner (always a beginner) to others finding their way to shikantaza that these two books work very well together.

Gassho,

Ryan s
                  Sat Today
                  Last edited by Bokugan; 08-20-2020, 12:30 PM.
                  墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
                  Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Comment

• Tomás ESP
                    • Aug 2020

Just finished this series. What a wonderful gift: Simplicity, wisdom and comedy, all in one. Very helfpul, thank you Jundo. I will continue with the Bodhisattva basics.

Gassho, Tomás
                    Sat&LaH

Comment

• John.3
                      • Jan 2021

I just finished this series, thank you Jundo for the incredibly helpful, accessible and practical content! I was particularly struck by the Mirror mind talk, video number 10. I am very interested in practicing cultivating this type of mind.

Gassho,
                      John
                      Sat today

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Meishin
                        • May 2014

Thank you, Jundo. This is the third time I've done this series since coming to Treeleaf in 2014. Each time is deeper. Please allow me to encourage other perpetual beginners to drop by.

Gassho
                        Meishin
                        stlah

Comment

• Kaisui
                          • Sep 2015

I too am enjoying these sit-a-long videos, I'm up to about video 12 at the moment. I keep coming back to video 5, 'the goal is in each step' - I love that. I've reminded myself of it a few times while sitting and found it helpful... although, I find it tricky to balance the idea of a reminder thought being helpful while I am shifting my focus away from thoughts.

Gassho, Charity
                          sat today

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by coriander
                            I too am enjoying these sit-a-long videos, I'm up to about video 12 at the moment. I keep coming back to video 5, 'the goal is in each step' - I love that. I've reminded myself of it a few times while sitting and found it helpful... although, I find it tricky to balance the idea of a reminder thought being helpful while I am shifting my focus away from thoughts.

Gassho, Charity
                            sat today
                            Don't try to shift from thoughts, nor run toward thoughts and grab on while getting tangled in them. Just leave them be without wallowing in them.

It is fine to remind yourself of "just this place" from time to time too, then let that thought go as well.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Comment

• Kaisui
                              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Jundo
                              Don't try to shift from thoughts, nor run toward thoughts and grab on while getting tangled in them. Just leave them be without wallowing in them.
                              Thank you, that was very helpful for me when sitting this morning. The thoughts are part of what is, so I leave them be, like with the mirror.

Gassho,
                              Charity
                              sat today

Comment

• Jundo
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by coriander
                                ... The thoughts are part of what is, so I leave them be, like with the mirror.

Comment

Working...