X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Re: Run Away = Bodhisattva?

Thank you, Alan, for posting that talk by the Theravadan teacher ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDbMJNhLhYE&list=UUQJ6ESCWQotBwtJm0Ff_gyQ& index=31&feature=plpp_video[/video]] ... plpp_video

I agree with him that there is only "one way", one medicine to cure Dukkha, and the Buddha showed that one way. I also feel, though, that the "one medicine" may be different for different people, and at different times in various circumstances of life.

Nate, every person is different. The Buddha taught moderation, and that we should not be attached to pleasure nor run toward it. For some, that may involve living a very simple, frugal life of renunciation much as a celibate monk with clothes of rags and a begging bowl. For others, one may live a life of balance and moderation out in the world ... not attached or running toward pleasure, but neither running away ... just as we do not run away from the tears and sad days even as we see right through them to that Peace & Happiness holding all happiness and tears. All in balance, avoiding excess and clinging.

In all cases, each person must find freedom from attachments and excess, and a path of balance and simplicity. However, each person may be different in how they live in the world. The "Middle Path" for you is not necessarily the "Middle Path" for me. What seems "austere" to you may not be for her. For some ... like a single drink to an alcoholic ... many pleasures can become traps to over indulgence. Neither path is wrong if right for that person's true needs.

So, I very much disagree with some of the views expressed in this thread by a few folks (although what they say may be perfectly sound for their own lives). Some people are "attached to their non-attachment" and austerity, which can all be imprisoning. However, some people may find freedom, clarity and balance in the same. To you, it may look that your friend is "running from" ... but perhaps she is also finding. Only she can know for sure. Let us simply hope that your friend finds the right path for her. As you said, Nate ...

To make a quick judgement does not make one right. The wise person looks at both sides of the matter, with fairness, impartiality, watchful of the truth, wisely and without haste. ~ Dhammatthavagga

I very concur with Alan here ...

Originally posted by alan.r

A friend who is drunk too often. A friend on drugs. A friend losing money to gambling. A friend messing up all their relationships, being mean, being violent, hurting others. Step in and say something and help out if you feel you can handle the obligation.

But someone who practices differently from you? I don't know. Even the nudge, I'm not feeling it unless they ask you about what you think of their practice. If the topic about right practice naturally arises, comes up in flowing conversation, maybe you can discuss it with her. Otherwise, it's just another aspect of reality one is trying to control.
    Gassho, J

PS - Same with eating meat and bacon ... whereby some Buddhist Suttas/Sutras strictly forbid it, some are more flexible on the situation.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

Working...