Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jundo
    replied
    Re: Run Away = Bodhisattva?

Thank you, Alan, for posting that talk by the Theravadan teacher ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDbMJNhLhYE&list=UUQJ6ESCWQotBwtJm0Ff_gyQ& index=31&feature=plpp_video[/video]] ... plpp_video

I agree with him that there is only "one way", one medicine to cure Dukkha, and the Buddha showed that one way. I also feel, though, that the "one medicine" may be different for different people, and at different times in various circumstances of life.

Nate, every person is different. The Buddha taught moderation, and that we should not be attached to pleasure nor run toward it. For some, that may involve living a very simple, frugal life of renunciation much as a celibate monk with clothes of rags and a begging bowl. For others, one may live a life of balance and moderation out in the world ... not attached or running toward pleasure, but neither running away ... just as we do not run away from the tears and sad days even as we see right through them to that Peace & Happiness holding all happiness and tears. All in balance, avoiding excess and clinging.

In all cases, each person must find freedom from attachments and excess, and a path of balance and simplicity. However, each person may be different in how they live in the world. The "Middle Path" for you is not necessarily the "Middle Path" for me. What seems "austere" to you may not be for her. For some ... like a single drink to an alcoholic ... many pleasures can become traps to over indulgence. Neither path is wrong if right for that person's true needs.

So, I very much disagree with some of the views expressed in this thread by a few folks (although what they say may be perfectly sound for their own lives). Some people are "attached to their non-attachment" and austerity, which can all be imprisoning. However, some people may find freedom, clarity and balance in the same. To you, it may look that your friend is "running from" ... but perhaps she is also finding. Only she can know for sure. Let us simply hope that your friend finds the right path for her. As you said, Nate ...

To make a quick judgement does not make one right. The wise person looks at both sides of the matter, with fairness, impartiality, watchful of the truth, wisely and without haste. ~ Dhammatthavagga

I very concur with Alan here ...

Originally posted by alan.r

A friend who is drunk too often. A friend on drugs. A friend losing money to gambling. A friend messing up all their relationships, being mean, being violent, hurting others. Step in and say something and help out if you feel you can handle the obligation.

But someone who practices differently from you? I don't know. Even the nudge, I'm not feeling it unless they ask you about what you think of their practice. If the topic about right practice naturally arises, comes up in flowing conversation, maybe you can discuss it with her. Otherwise, it's just another aspect of reality one is trying to control.
    Gassho, J

PS - Same with eating meat and bacon ... whereby some Buddhist Suttas/Sutras strictly forbid it, some are more flexible on the situation.

Leave a comment:

• alan.r
    replied

Hi Jundo, will do. Am doing.

Leave a comment:

• Jundo
    replied

Originally posted by alan.r
    Hey Risho, I just sent you a pm. It contains a link to the video, but not the video I was thinking of. Still, it is a discussion of objective/subjective reality/truth, so it applies here. In any case, I didn't post the video here because the monk is not from the Soto Zen tradition, and I didn't want to create any confusion or unnecessary argument about ways of practicing or anything.
    Hi Alan,

Please send me the link too so I can take a look. Buddhism is just Buddhism, always the same ... although sometimes very different.

Gassho, Jundo

Leave a comment:

• alan.r
    replied

Hey Risho, I just sent you a pm. It contains a link to the video, but not the video I was thinking of. Still, it is a discussion of objective/subjective reality/truth, so it applies here. In any case, I didn't post the video here because the monk is not from the Soto Zen tradition, and I didn't want to create any confusion or unnecessary argument about ways of practicing or anything.

Leave a comment:

• Risho
    replied

Hey, no worries. Thank you for looking

Leave a comment:

• alan.r
    replied

Risho, just wanted to let you know I'm still trying to find the video. The monk has hundreds of them and I can't remember which one it was. AHHHHHHHH! Eventually.

Leave a comment:

• Risho
    replied

that would be great. thank you

Leave a comment:

• alan.r
    replied

Risho, no problem at all. I know of a talk by a monk from a Theravadin tradition which speaks of objective truth. It's short, about ten minutes. If I can find it, would you like the link? Also, his perspective isn't Zen, but I think, while Zen would probably, I don't know, scoff at talking about such things (can't be talked about!), is in agreement.

Leave a comment:

• Risho
    replied

Thanks Nate and Alan.

Alan,

I wasn't trying to be that provocative with the objectivity/subjectivity. I legitimately was wondering if objective reality was "believed" in in Buddhism just because I've heard about teachings where our consciousness creates our experience. Jundo sensei refers to this as the holodeck. . However I would assume there must be something that is stimulating our sense consciousness for us to create that world. Anyway... I'm getting more and more confused. hahahahaha

Thanks for your patience,

Risho

Leave a comment:

• alan.r
    replied

Hi again Risho. As I see it, while we are subjective beings, in this separate body and this separate ego and with our self-centered desires and aversions (ie, a small or subjective reality), we are also part of (not separate from) a universal or ultimate (ie, large, objective) reality as well, and it is our Shikantaza which is the realization or the embodiment of this Universal-ness. Thus, we are always working with the two which are not two. Also, I'm not certain about Soto Zen (I'm fairly new to it), but I know that other forms of Buddhism do believe that objective truth exists.

And hi Nate again. Yeah, that makes sense, the nudge based on your experience and understanding. Look forward to talking again.

Leave a comment:

• natezenmaster
    replied

Alan,

I know exactly what you mean.. though as I see it, the Buddha tested out depravity and excess and found it lacking, provided us teaching, etc.. so even in spiritual matters there is a 'better' or preferred path. My 'nudge' is then based on teaching as i know it, my experience and best understanding .. like bacon, I have no evidence first hand to build an insurmountable case on whether it'll kill ya but to lean on bodies of evidence and teaching.. perhaps it is clearer and more falsifiable in the case of bacon than spiritual practice but maybe its still able to express my view.. I don't claim a concrete truth or to be right but to open ones view or perhaps my own in seeking to assist. best wishes, nate

Leave a comment:

• Risho
    replied

The reason I thought subjective is that objective intimates a separation where Buddhism hinges on connection and interdependence.

Leave a comment:

• Risho
    replied

That is a good question. I always assumed Buddhism was an experiential, or mystical, tradition, i.e. A subjective practice. But I will leave that to Jundo and Taigu. . Anything that promotes discourse on bacon is good in my book. Lol

Leave a comment:

• alan.r
    replied

Oh, and I meant to add, but forgot: I shouldn't have said "Essentially, this is an objective truth" about bacon. I should have said something like, "This is generally true or essentially the case" about bacon.

Anyway, the rest about objectivity and subjectivity and spiritual practice is where the heart of the thing beats.

Leave a comment:

• alan.r
    replied

Hi Risho. I said "Essentially, this is an objective truth" about bacon. Essentially. I said it's not the healthiest food choice. I can see, in certain instances, when bacon, as a foodstuff, might be a good choice, like, on occasion, or if you're really really hungry, or if someone, like, was having some diabetic thing and needed something.

Also, I'm not saying bacon is bad. I'm saying it's unhealthy, generally. I think we can all agree that bacon everyday (everyday!) for breakfast is not the best idea compared to, say, an orange and yogurt (greek, of course, without all the sugar). You think the statement: "bacon is not the healthiest food choice" is too broad a brush? Oh, I mean, really? It's probably more healthy than eating crisco, I'll give you that.

My entire point is that we can't do this same thing with spiritual practice. I mean, we can test bacon, tests probably have been done, studies about bacon, bacon studies, and while these aren't the be all end all truth about bacon, they're probably pretty reliable. Not so with spiritual practices.

I may be wrong, but as far as I can tell, Buddhism itself is concerned with objective truth, objective reality. We sometimes call this universal reality, or ultimate reality. Almost always this objective or ultimate reality is ungraspable and unattainable (because we are it) but just because you can't prove it (prove to me your correct Shikantaza) doesn't make it any less real. The subjective truth you're talking about, as far as I can tell, is a post-modernist view of reality, the little view, the personal, the ego. Although, Jundo or Taigu or anyone else, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Anyway, bacon has brought us a long way in this little discussion.

May we all be well and healthful and unattached except when we eat delicious bacon.

Leave a comment:

Working...