X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • humblepie
    • Jan 2009

Re: Why so much anger?

Originally posted by Jundo
    I just hope people who have only been around Treeleaf Sangha a few weeks won't think this is the way things always are. It was just a very sad family event, or series of events, that I thought to be very honest about. Most of the time, things are downright dull around here.
    Hi Jundo. Even if this would be the way things always are, your honesty would help new members make the choice that's right for them. Regardless of what direction this feud takes, I'm grateful to be here.

I also had some time to quiet my mind and feel more compassion about this situation. I don't take back anything I said in my post, even though certain issues can make me "shoot first and ask questions later."
    It's become clear to me that within any teacher-student relationship that involves more than one student, there's always the possibility of diverging paths.

In this case, it appears one path is more concerned about maintaining the integrity of Nishijima Roshi's teachings, while the other is caught up in hype and cashing in on popularity. I've been through hype and popularity. It's a downward-spiraling delusion. Brad is suffering, though he may not realize it, and his influence over Nishijima is causing others to suffer.

Sounds like metta practice is needed.

Peace and blessings,
    Dave
    1 in 4 girls will be sexually abused before the age of 18, and 1 in 6 boys.
    These figures only represent reported cases.

Comment

• Jikyo
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Jundo
      I just hope people who have only been around Treeleaf Sangha a few weeks won't think this is the way things always are. It was just a very sad family event, or series of events, that I thought to be very honest about. Most of the time, things are downright dull around here.
      Hi Jundo,

Speaking as someone who’s only been around Treeleaf for a few weeks, I really appreciate your openness and honesty around this situation. Your obvious (and understandable) distress about this family event has given your students a glimpse at your humanity. A human teacher - who knew? I am glad to be here practicing with you all, be it dramatic or boring.

Gassho,
      Jean

Comment

• Tobiishi
        • Jan 2009

yeah, what jean said. thanks jean
        It occurs to me that my attachment to this body is entirely arbitrary. All the evidence is subjective.

Comment

• Tb
          • Jan 2008

Hi.

Doctor Glas, Hjalmar söderberg

We want to be loved; failing that, admired; failing that, feared; failing that, hated and despised.

At all costs we want to stir up some sort of feeling in others.

Our soul abhors a vacuum.

At all costs it longs for contact.

It’ s hard sometimes.

I’m not saying it isn’t but I’m also not saying it shouldn’t be.

It’s all in the practice.

Steve Hage puts it this way in "Buddhism is not what you think":
          "According to the Buddhadharma (the teaching of the awakened), our effort is to live fully and compassionately in this world of muddy water without churning it up all the more.

To do this , we only need to realize that whatever comes our way is already of the whole and cannot be done away with.
          "

Dogen puts it like this in Shobogenzo Genjokoan:

And though it is like this, it is simply that flowers, while loved, fall; and weeds, while hated, flourish.

Try not to cling to the feeling, even though it’s hard, just live with it.

It is what it is, and maybe not what you think it is
          Full text from the quote can be found here:
          http://fugen.blogg.se/2009/february/bum ... -road.html

In the meanwhile it is as he says, it's "hard" if you make it "hard", and our practice may be that of not making it "hard".

Mtfbwy
          Tb
          Life is our temple and its all good practice
          Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...