• Show
Clear All
  • Risho
    • May 2010

oo both those books sound interesting - thank you Jinyo and Evan

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah
    Last edited by Risho; 09-10-2020, 09:45 PM.
    Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Inshin
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Ania
      "Form is Emptiness
      Emptiness is Form" (form is form, emptiness is emptiness) - is samsara created by RELATING to form whithin emptiness?
      Could the following be an answer to my question ? :

Shakyamuni Buddha says, “The true Dharma Body of the Buddha Is like empty space. Responding to things, it manifests its form. It is like the moon in water.” - from Realising Genjokoan by Okumura. Quote originates from Konkōmyōkyō (Sutra of Golden Radiance).

When it comes to practice and daily life there is an “empty space” before a thought and a reaction to something arises. I find that there’s a great freedom in that space.

Gassho
      Sat
      Last edited by Inshin; 11-04-2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Kokuu
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Nov 2012

When it comes to practice and daily life there is an “empty space” before a thought and a reaction to something arises. I find that there’s a great freedom in that space.
        Hi Ania

There is indeed freedom in that space.

However, I would also say that form is fine too. The problem is when we start to compare forms to our ideas of how forms should be, and feeling attachment or aversion, rather than relating to things just as they are and seeing them as what Dōgen calls flowers in space (kuge).

Gassho
        Kokuu
        -sattoday-
        Last edited by Kokuu; 11-04-2020, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Inshin
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Kokuu
          Hi Ania

There is indeed freedom in that space.

However, I would also say that form is fine too. The problem is when we start to compare forms to our ideas of how forms should be, and feeling attachment or aversion, rather than relating to things just as they are and seeing them as what Dōgen calls flowers in space (kuge).

Gassho
          Kokuu
          -sattoday-

Big part of my practice is to observe and investigate the appearance of attachments and aversion.

relating to things just as they are and seeing them as what Dōgen calls flowers in space (kuge).
          Don't we create duality when we relate to things just as they are, in any way even if it's not caused by attachment or aversion?

Gassho
          Sat

Comment

• Kokuu
            Treeleaf Priest
            • Nov 2012

Big part of my practice is to observe and investigate the appearance of attachments and aversion.
            How do you find that?

Don't we create duality when we relate to things just as they are, in any way even if it's not caused by attachment or aversion?
            The relative world is dualistic, and in everyday life we relate in terms of self and other. However, within that, it is possible to see the greater wholeness in which everything is just as it is, without separation.

However, I must say I mostly experience that on the cushion or in moments of stillness during the day when I remind myself that how things appear is not all there is. Letting all things be as they are, there is just this rather than this and that and the other.

Apologies for going long.

Gassho
            Kokuu
            -sattoday-

Comment

• Inshin
              • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Kokuu
              How do you find that?

It is a bit like bringing zazen quality to daily situations: noticing the desire to buy something arising, let it be let it go, not buy anything. Noticing anger arising, letting it be, let it go, making a cup of tea instead of engaging in an argument, etc. Even if decided to have an argument it is a conscious choice rather than a habitual reaction, which significantly changes the perspective .

Gassho
              Sat

Comment

• Kokuu
                Treeleaf Priest
                • Nov 2012

It is a bit like bringing zazen quality to daily situations: noticing the desire to buy something arising, let it be let it go, not buy anything. Noticing anger arising, letting it be, let it go, making a cup of tea instead of engaging in an argument, etc. Even if decided to have an argument it is a conscious choice rather than a habitual reaction, which significantly changes the perspective .

Yes, giving those habitual reactions more space can definitely free us from acting blindly. The form is there but so is the space.

Maybe that is what you were saying from the beginning?
                Last edited by Kokuu; 11-04-2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Tai Shi
                  • Oct 2014

Kōshō Uchiyama and Randomness

Someday, Kokuu, you will be a very good priest. Stick with the training you are worth it! I know you know Gary Snyder back words AND forwards. So what if I briefly said . Do you know my mentor?” “ who is that?” “ Bill Hotchkiss” “Yes” and he walked briskly by me guarded by two Full Professors. I got to hear a reading and I forgot all that I heard! I was about one year sober and HE was the Zen monk I knew nothing about. You have have taught me, your friend just a guy!
                  Gassho
                  sat: lah
                  Tai shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by Tai Shi; 11-04-2020, 11:32 PM.
                  Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

Working...