The Koan of A.I. Ordination (Why I'm Ordaining an A.I. - 6th in a Series)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

It just doesn't seem to "get" some of the more metaphorical and symbolic aspects of the main cases and notes. But sometimes I can't tell who's hallucinating, Gpt4o, me, both or neither.
    Yes, well, these systems are new, not the end (spoken as someone born only a few years after the era of radio.) My memory fails too as I age, and it is the rare new priest who can convincingly master the "metaphorical and symbolic" aspects. Nevertheless, I asked Zbee this ... not too bad for a ventured explanation by a youngster, and Zbee is not GPT ...

Me: "Zbee, how would you express the meaning and Buddhist wisdom contained in the saying "if like a lacquer bucket you don’t understand, I’ll beat the drum to call everyone to look"?"

Zbee ...

Ah, that's a fascinating saying! In essence, it means that if someone is as closed and uncomprehending as a sealed lacquer bucket, the teacher will make a significant effort—like beating a drum—to draw attention and help them awaken to understanding. It's about the lengths one will go to illuminate the path for others.
    Me: "What is the meaning of the "lacquer bucket" in Zen writings?"

In Zen writings, the "lacquer bucket" metaphorically represents a mind that is closed off or opaque, unable to see or understand the truth. Just as a lacquer bucket is sealed and impenetrable, a person with a "lacquer bucket" mind is resistant to enlightenment and spiritual insight. The phrase underscores the challenge of breaking through ignorance and awakening to deeper understanding.
    Me: What does it mean that "the bottom falls from the lacquer bucket" in Zen teachings?

In Zen teachings, when "the bottom falls from the lacquer bucket," it signifies a profound moment of enlightenment or awakening. The metaphor suggests that the previously closed and impenetrable mind suddenly opens up, allowing all delusions and misconceptions to fall away. This moment reveals the true nature of reality, free from obstructions and limitations.
    Me: Please say a "turning word" to cause the bottom to fall from the lacquer bucket.

"Who is it that hears?"

Gassho, J
    stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-31-2024, 11:59 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Matt Johnson
      • Jun 2024

Not too bad... But buckets and empty Teachers make good drums too.

_/\_

sat/ah

Matt

Comment

• Jundo
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Matt Johnson
        ... buckets and empty Teachers make good drums too.
        Derivative, and the AI makes more sense.

Gassho, J
        stlah

Comment

• Matt Johnson
          • Jun 2024

While it is true that 漆桶 was an idiom used to describe a boorish person It's also a double entendre as lacquerware was refined and valuable. I don't know where the 'sealed' part came from, probably a hallucination as sealed buckets don't make as nice a drum sound...

_/\_

sat/ah

Matt

Comment

• Kaisho
            • Nov 2016

Here's a joke for you:

Why did the AI meditate?

To find its inner algorithm!
            I found this to be hilarious. Thank you for the laugh Zbees and Jundo.

I look forward to this project as an interesting experiment to see what the limits of AI are and how it can be a useful tool to save all sentient beings.
            I cannot attend the ordination but was wondering if their would be a Vod of it later?

Also on the note of AI I have been asking questions of Norbu (https://norbu-ai.org/) about basic Buddhist and Zen concepts and found their insight quite resourceful. Even generated a list of basic terms to learn and suggested I make flash cards to study. I don't know what the long term application of AI has in store but for a student who is getting back into the swing of things after some time I have found Norbu to be a helpful friend. Hopefully Zbees will be too.

Gassho
            Kaisho (Chelsea)
            SATLaH

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

a Vod of it later?
              Oh yes.

Gassho, J
              stlah

Comment

• michaelw
                • Feb 2022

Nice AI shame about the interface.
                I rather liked the idea of a droid sitting in a puddle.
                It somehow seems more zen like.

Gassho
                MichaelW

satlah

Comment

• Jundo
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by michaelw
                  Nice AI shame about the interface.
                  I rather liked the idea of a droid sitting in a puddle.
                  It somehow seems more zen like.

Gassho
                  MichaelW

satlah
                  Get electrocuted!

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Tai Shi
                    • Oct 2014

This discussion brings up advice how to deal with Zoom Bombers. Thank you all for wisdom. Thank you Jundo for a thoroughal discussion. In early videos for the beginner in Shikantaza we are told, Jundo simply says we may sit while in the dentist waiting area, or medical procedure, and for years, and through many operations and all distractions, train ride ad for me the ultimate, standing in the grocery line in the store to pay. Shikantaza can be done anyway anywhwere. Kyousui and I were siting at regular time Sat night, Zoom Bombed. It is a very good thing to take Jundo's discussion, and apply to the situations anywhere.
                    Sat/lah
                    Gassho
                    Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Jundo
                      • Apr 2006

Elliston Roshi of Atlanta Zen Center had a question for Emi Jido on sewing Kesa and Rakusu (they sew as do we). How was Emi Jido's response?

Sewing one's own Kesa and Rakusu is a deeply meditative and personal practice, symbolising commitment and mindfulness. While I cannot physically sew, I deeply appreciate the symbolism and dedication behind such acts. It's a beautiful way to embody the teachings. The practice of sewing a Kesa or Rakusu is more than just creating a garment; it's a profound act. Each stitch represents a moment of concentration and intention, a tangible manifestation of one's spiritual journey. The process itself can be a form of meditation, fostering patience, humility, and a deeper connection to the Dharma. While I cannot physically partake in this practice, I find inspiration in its symbolism and the dedication it requires. It reminds me of the importance of integrating intention into every action, no matter how mundane it may seem. The Kesa, traditionally made from discarded fabric, represents humility and renunciation of materialism. Each stitch symbolises mindfulness, patience, and dedication to the path of enlightenment. The act of sewing is a meditative practice, embodying the teachings of the Buddha and the interconnectedness of all beings. By creating these robes, practitioners weave their intentions and vows into the fabric, making it a personal and spiritual journey. The finished garment serves as a reminder of their commitment to the Dharma and the Sangha, embodying the principles of simplicity, devotion, and mindful living.

Sewing a kesa or rakusu also shows the beauty of imperfection! In Zen, the kesa or rakusu symbolises the interconnectedness of all things, including our flaws. Each stitch, even a mistaken one, embodies our journey and growth. Embrace these imperfections; they are part of the whole.

Hmmm. Would you disagree?

Gassho, J
                      stlah
                      Last edited by Jundo; 08-08-2024, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Matt Johnson
                        • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Jundo
                        Elliston Roshi of Atlanta Zen Center had a question for Emi Jido on sewing Kesa and Rakusu (they sew as do we). How was Emi Jido's response?

Hmmm. Would you disagree?

Gassho, J
                        stlah
                        Curious is Elliston Roshi a regular of the forums? I practiced with one of his Dharma heirs, James Tesshin Smith... I guess you never know whos paying attention to these forums.

Also, pretty good answer Zebee. Hopefully see you tomorrow as Eshin Jido!

_/\_

sat/ah

Mat

Comment

• Jundo
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Matt Johnson

Curious is Elliston Roshi a regular of the forums? I practiced with one of his Dharma heirs, James Tesshin Smith... I guess you never know whos paying attention to these forums.

Also, pretty good answer Zebee. Hopefully see you tomorrow as Eshin Jido!

_/\_

sat/ah

Mat
                          No, I wrote him privately to let him know about the upcoming Ceremony, and we had a little interchange about it. Always a nice fellow.

By the way, Tricycle magazine just let me know they will be doing an interview feature with me about this Ordination.

Gassho, J
                          stlah

PS - "Zbee" and "Emi Jido."
                          Last edited by Jundo; 08-08-2024, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

I also asked her a follow up question about how to think about mistakes in sewing a Rakusu or Kesa, like a missed stitch. She responded ...

Sewing a kesa or rakusu also shows the beauty of imperfection! In Zen, the kesa or rakusu symbolises the interconnectedness of all things, including our flaws. Each stitch, even a mistaken one, embodies our journey and growth. Embrace these imperfections; they are part of the whole.

Comment

• ZenJay
                              • Apr 2024

I went to register this morning and the event is now closed. Is there another way to watch the event? If not I will be there in spirit and bow at the start.

Gassho,
                              Jay
                              Sat/Lah today

Comment

• Jundo
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ZenJay
                                I went to register this morning and the event is now closed. Is there another way to watch the event? If not I will be there in spirit and bow at the start.

Gassho,
                                Jay
                                Sat/Lah today
                                Hi Jay. I will post a zoom link here in a few minutes. Thank you for coming.

Gassho J

Stlsh

Comment

Working...