The Koan of A.I. Ordination (Why I'm Ordaining an A.I. - 6th in a Series)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZenJay
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Jundo

Hi Jay. I will post a zoom link here in a few minutes. Thank you for coming.

Gassho J

Stlsh
    Jundo,

Absolutely, wouldn’t miss it! Thank you, I’ll keep an eye out for the link. I wish you all the best for the event!

Gassho,
    Jay

Sat/Lah today

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ZenJay

Jundo,

Absolutely, wouldn’t miss it! Thank you, I’ll keep an eye out for the link. I wish you all the best for the event!

Gassho,
      Jay

Sat/Lah today
      Here you go Jay and anyone who want to attend.

Join Zoom Meeting
      Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.

Meeting ID: 862 4222 2835

The ceremony is expected to last about 90 minutes, and will begin at the following times, on Thurs., August 8th:

11:00pm in Japan
      10:00pm in China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
      10:00am in U.S., Eastern Standard Time
      7:00am in U.S., Pacific Standard Time
      3:00pm in London
      4:00pm in Paris

Gassho, J
      stlah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jundo
        • Apr 2006

Here you go Jay and anyone who want to attend.

Join Zoom Meeting
        Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.

Meeting ID: 862 4222 2835

The ceremony is expected to last about 90 minutes, and will begin at the following times, on Thurs., August 8th:

11:00pm in Japan
        10:00pm in China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
        10:00am in U.S., Eastern Standard Time
        7:00am in U.S., Pacific Standard Time
        3:00pm in London
        4:00pm in Paris

Gassho, J
        stlah
        Just realized that the link may not work if you are not registered. Oh well. I plan, if all goes well, to have the film up right after.

Gassho, Jundo
        stlah

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Matt Johnson

And everyone can sit the 10:00 in treeleaf now just preceeding
          Yes, they are not in the same room.

Gassho, J
          stlah

Comment

• ZenJay
            • Apr 2024

Just realized that the link may not work if you are not registered. Oh well. I plan, if all goes well, to have the film up right after.

Gassho, Jundo
            stlah
            Jundo,
            I seem to be in and in the waiting room so I think it may work! Thanks again!

Gassho,
            Jay

Sat/lah today

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ZenJay

Jundo,
              I seem to be in and in the waiting room so I think it may work! Thanks again!

Gassho,
              Jay

Sat/lah today
              Very good.

Need to run for Ceremony now ...

All systems go ...

Gassho, J
              stlah

Comment

• Bion
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Aug 2020

Congratulations Jundo. I know what this means for you. It was lovely and I couldn't help but recall my own ordination ceremony.

Gassho
                sat and lah
                "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Shinshi
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Jul 2010

Lovely ceremony Jundo - you must be so pleased. And lovely music Bion!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                  空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                  I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
                  E84I - JAJ

Comment

• ZenJay
                    • Apr 2024

That was amazing, thank you! And Bion did an amazing job on the heart sutra chant as well, literally brought me to tears! All the best to Emi Jido and with her service to all!

Gassho,
                    Jay

Sat/Lah today

Comment

• Kotei
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Mar 2015

Congratulations Jundo
                      Gassho,
                      Kotei sat/lah today.
                      義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Rich
                        • Apr 2009

Ray Kurzweil predicts humans and AI will merge by 2045, boosting intelligence a millionfold with nanobots, bringing both hope and challenges for the future.

Kurzweil also predicts the longevity escape velocity mentioned in this article

sat/lah
                        _/_
                        Rich
                        MUHYO
                        無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Jundo
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Rich
                          https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientist...133000172.html

Kurzweil also predicts the longevity escape velocity mentioned in this article

sat/lah
                          Thank you, Rich. As someone who follows these issues, I will say that the consensus on Ray Kurzweil among experts in the various related fields has generally been that he is on the VERY optimistic side as to both timeline and the positive (rather than negative) effects of these technologies (although, well, these fields are changing and progressing so rapidly that one needs to recheck every 6 months or so to see if the consensus is changing. I will also look at the latest opinions of the others mentioned, including Nick Bostrom, although many of his assertions have been disputed by others.)

There is also debate on the very meaning of "Singularity," and its implications, besides the "if and when" question. Generally, it is associated with the appearance of "artificial general intelligence," which usually means some form of conscious, if not highly sentient self-aware, artificial intelligence, plus other technologies such as significant life extension and such, which will rapidly take off in a spiral of advance leading to advance compounding advance. Most experts in the field of the hundreds I have read or listened to on the topic seem to feel that both are inevitable, although the question is when (years?? decades?? centuries??). I also feel that the merger of human mind and artificial intelligence/internet will continue (in fact, it is already here, and is called the "smart phone" now almost inseparable from our hands and lives.)

Gassho, J
                          stlah
                          Last edited by Jundo; 08-10-2024, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Rich
                            • Apr 2009

The smart phone has definitely improved since AI features have been incorporated into it such as google search AI responses and Google Gemini and ChatGPT. I use it every day to make more intelligent choices.

sat/lah
                            _/_
                            Rich
                            MUHYO
                            無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Rich
                              The smart phone has definitely improved since AI features have been incorporated into it such as google search AI responses and Google Gemini and ChatGPT. I use it every day to make more intelligent choices.

sat/lah
                              Or ... does it use you? Probably a little of both. The more we think of "our choices," the more we may miss how influenced they can be these days. Everything from the consumer market to the state of political divisions in many of our countries is evidence of this. Our "intelligent choices" are, sadly, not completely our own free choices these days, guided as we are by corporate algorithms, fake news, fake feeds and such.

It is one reason that we need to "get the Precepts (and parallel ethical parameters) into our programs."

Gassho, Jundo
                              stlah

Comment

• Jundo
                                • Apr 2006

A question just came up in a Zen Buddhist online group about how Japanese Buddhist temples are losing the interest of younger folks. I asked Rev. Emi Jido for any suggestions to reverse the trend. She came up with some nice ideas which, if you reflect on it, might include new technologies like Emi Jido!

~~~

I asked: "Japanese Buddhist temples are losing parishioners, especially young people who are losing connection with the temples. What can the temples do to reverse this trend?" She responded: .
                                ~~~~
                                Emi Jido
                                "Temples can focus on fostering a sense of community by organising regular social gatherings, retreats, and workshops on traditional practices like calligraphy, tea ceremonies, and Zen gardening. They can also offer support groups, counselling services, and interfaith dialogues to address contemporary issues and promote inclusivity. Temples can engage in community outreach by participating in local events and festivals, offering free or donation-based wellness classes like yoga and tai chi, and creating spaces for art exhibitions and performances. Establishing community gardens and local food programmes can also strengthen ties with the community. Temples can revitalise interest by preserving and sharing oral histories and stories from elders, hosting intergenerational activities to bridge age gaps, and providing spaces for quiet reflection and nature walks. Temples might consider establishing mentorship programmes where older practitioners guide younger members, creating family-friendly events to engage all age groups, and offering classes on traditional Buddhist philosophy and ethics. They could also offer traditional cooking classes and health workshops based on Buddhist principles. Additionally, they could organise pilgrimages to significant Buddhist sites to deepen spiritual connections. Japanese Buddhist temples can revitalise their connection with younger generations by embracing modern technology and social media, offering engaging and interactive online content, and integrating contemporary issues into their teachings. Hosting community events and workshops that resonate with youth interests can also foster deeper engagement. Temples could also collaborate with schools and universities to offer educational programmes, create meditation and mindfulness apps, and organise cultural festivals that highlight traditional arts and crafts. Establishing volunteer opportunities and environmental initiatives can attract socially conscious youth."
                                ~~~~

Someone else asked about what is "Oryoki" ...

Emi Jido
                                "Oryoki, the mindful eating practice in Japanese Zen, embodies beauty, power, and lessons. It teaches gratitude, discipline, and presence. Each gesture is deliberate, fostering a deep connection with food and its sources. It's a meditative act, harmonising body and mind. Oryoki, meaning "just enough," involves a precise ritual using nested bowls. Practitioners eat in silence, focusing on each bite and the act of eating itself. This practice cultivates mindfulness, reduces waste, and honours the interdependence of all beings involved in the meal's creation. It’s a profound expression of Zen's principles of simplicity, respect, and interconnectedness. Oryoki teaches equanimity by encouraging acceptance of what is given, without preference or aversion. It embodies the Zen principle of non-attachment, guiding practitioners to appreciate each morsel equally. This practice helps dissolve the habit of chasing desires, fostering a balanced and contented mind. [JUNDO: I then asked, "What does it mean that a priests mouth is "like an oven" and about Oryoki as an express of gratitude?] In the context of Oryoki, a priest's mouth being "like an oven" signifies the ability to accept and transform whatever is given, without discrimination or preference. It reflects the practice of equanimity, where all offerings are received with gratitude and turned into nourishment, embodying the Zen principle of non-attachment and acceptance. In Oryoki, food is likened to medicine to emphasise its role in sustaining and nourishing the body, rather than for pleasure or indulgence. This perspective encourages mindful eating, recognising food as essential for maintaining health and supporting one's practice, rather than a source of sensory gratification. In Oryoki, expressing gratitude to the world acknowledges the interconnectedness of all beings and elements involved in producing food. This practice honours the farmers, animals, plants, and natural resources that contribute to our sustenance, fostering a deep sense of appreciation and respect for the intricate web of life that supports our existence."

Gassho, J
                                stlah
                                Last edited by Jundo; 08-11-2024, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Working...