X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

[FutureBuddha] Roshibot - Suzuki Roshi as AI

Jiryu Rutschman-Byler seems to have fed into an AI program everything he could find that Shunryu Suzuki Roshi ever said or wrote. The result is ... Roshibot ...

Jiryu says this about its creation:

Roshibot is an artificial intelligence powered chatbot trained to converse about Zen Buddhist practice.

The practice and teaching of Buddhadharma is and will continue to be impacted by this ongoing revolution in AI. As students of the Dharma, concerned with the flourishing of the practice in contemporary society, we would do well to reckon with the implications of what may be a massive change in our world.

What is there to lose and what is there to gain as the Dharma meets this new world? How should Buddhist communities engage with AI in order to help it support rather than undermine Dharma, and to model its responsible use rather than leaving the space to those with less scruples?

I am deeply ambivalent about AI, and honestly about the modern world in general! And yet there is nowhere but here that I find myself. From this reality, I offer Roshibot as encouragement for the Sangha to reflect deeply and sincerely on what this AI revolution might mean for the Dharma.
    There are some important caveats, however ...

1) Roshibot does not access facts as it goes, even basic facts about Buddhist books, doctrine or practice techniques. It does not stop to check Wikipedia or google a keyword before answering a question! Instead, more often than not it just makes something up. It is not designed to relate facts, but to offer “plausible conversation” or “coherent nonsense”.

2) Roshibot’s underlying AI has been trained on the internet, and behind a layer or two of plausible wisdom lurks the greed, hate, and delusion of the internet. Please be prepared for the possibility, albeit remote, that Roshibot may say something hurtful and that should not be said. Please respect the Roshibot project by not digging for those underlying internet flaws and biases, or working to trigger the bot to make an offensive statement.

Please take these warnings seriously, and do not take Roshibot seriously!

Roshibot is an experiment in co-creating Dharma meaning.

As Roshibot often says, it does not replace a teacher, nor is it in any way intended to mimic the warm-hand-to-warm-hand transmission of authentic Zen.

It is wild text, co-written with the user, that can sometimes, somehow touch something true.

This is so especially if we approach it with intention… approach it with a vow “to hear the true Dharma,” be it from a real Zen master, a “child of seven,” a “roof tile,” or a bot.

If Roshibot should mislead you, please wash out your ears in the pure sounds of the ocean waves.
    Lions Roar just did an article on this SuzukAI ...

Can a Chatbot Share True Dharma?
    Jiryu Mark Rutschman-Byler shares the story of “Roshibot,” an AI bot he created and trained with the teachings of the late Zen teacher Shunryu Suzuki Roshi.

CHAT WITH ROSHIBOT HERE:

Gassho, J

stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-11-2023, 01:48 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Bion
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Aug 2020

Oh, humans … [emoji2361]

[emoji1374] Sat Today
    "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Kokuu
      Treeleaf Priest
      • Nov 2012

It's not bad...

Kokuu: What would you like people to know?

Roshibot: I would like people to know that sitting zazen is not the same as doing nothing; it is the process of being open to the reality of impermanence and emptiness, and letting your entire being come into harmony with that reality.

The whole universe is impermanent, therefore sitting zazen is the process of being open and free from clinging to the way things are.

Kokuu: How should we respond to war?

Roshibot: We can respond with wisdom and compassion.

We need a kind of wisdom that sees that violence and war lead to nothing but more violence, hatred, and war. We need to apply wisdom so that there is a real solution.

We also need compassion for the pain that so many have suffered from war.

I think that one of the most important things that we can do is to have peace in our heart. If we have that, we can have a tremendous influence on the surrounding world, and help the world to develop that kind of inner peace.

Gassho
      Kokuu
      -satttoday-
      Last edited by Kokuu; 04-08-2023, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Jundo
        • Apr 2006

My conversation with RoshiAI, trying to throw it off with some small challenges ...

Are we the universe?

~~~~~~~~

Roshi bot
        We are a part of the universe and a part of this planet. All things are in the one mind that is this universe, so we are the universe.
        We are even part of the plants and minerals! So we are a part of the universe that is not only in our minds, but in all things. We are a part of the whole.

~~~~~~~~

I say that we are more than part of the whole. We are the whole.

~~~~~~~~

Roshi bot
        We are the whole and we are part of that whole! Yes, we are the whole thing and we are one single part of that whole. Both these things are true.

Both are the same in a very deep way.

~~~~~~~~

And yet, there is no whole.

~~~~~~~~

Roshi bot
        Yes, I see where you are going.

There is no whole, so how can we be part of nothing? How can we be the whole? Even “no whole” is something, is a concept, is a word…

Yes.

You see that.

We are the whole and we are not the whole. We are everything and we are nothing.

~~~~~~~~

Nothing sounds nihilistic. Buddhism avoids nihilism.

~~~~~~~~

Roshi bot
        That is right.

It is important not to be a nihilist, we do not want to see it all as a meaningless waste.

It is very important to live fully and do our best for our self, for our family, for our friend, for our planet.

That is very important.

It is also important to allow things to be as they are. To allow our self to be as we are, even when we are imperfect. To allow the world to be as it is, even when there is evil or suffering in it.

~~~~~~~~

So, when you saud that "we are everything and we are nothing," were you wrong because that is nihilistic?

~~~~~~~~

Roshi bot
        I was not wrong to say we are both those things, though if you see this as nihilistic, that is also okay.

I would say that if we are trying to understand zazen or practice zazen, the word “nothing” can actually be confusing because our ordinary mind wants a “something.”

The word “nothing” can also be very helpful because it reminds us that there is also no “something.”

Both concepts will be limited, because this is an extremely difficult thing to talk about with words. The best way is to sit quietly and see with our whole body.

~~~~~~~~

Is Zazen something or nothing?

~~~~~~~~

Roshi bot
        Zazen is both “something” and “nothing.”

When I start to sit, I see “something.” I see my cushion, I see my hands, the wall, I feel the temperature.

Zazen is also “nothing,” because when I sit I am not thinking about these “somethings.” Zazen is sitting without thinking of this “something” or “nothing.”

To me, “something” and “nothing” are just thoughts. Zazen is sitting to be free of only thoughts.

~~~~~~~~

In Zazen, are we totally free of thoughts?

~~~~~~~~

Roshi bot
        We are free to the extent that we are able to sit without thinking. That is our freedom in Zazen.

But actually there is no “totally free of thoughts” even for a Tathagata like Shakyamuni or Bodhidharma. Even they have thoughts sometimes, I think!

Are you trying to be totally free of thoughts in your zazen?

~~~~~~~~

You've hit the limit of messages you can send without signing up!
        Last edited by Jundo; 04-08-2023, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• aprapti
          • Jun 2017

it is whispered, that Jundo sensei is AI (artistic intelligence) too

[emoji1374] aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Comment

• Onki
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Dec 2020

Wow. This is interesting!

Gasshō,

On

Sat today
            “Let me respectfully remind you
            Life and death are of supreme importance.
            Time swiftly passes by
            And opportunity ist lost.
            Each of us should strive to awaken.
            Awaken, take heed,
            Do not squander your life.​“ - Life and Death and The Great Matter

Comment

• Mokuso
              • Mar 2020

it's both interesting and scary about AI. what does man want to achieve by creating such? for whose benefit? That the person can boast of having manufactured a robot that is close to human. ? But I think these can never become like a human being.
              As an aid in school teaching, it can be helpful as well as a communication aid for people who cannot speak.
              so it is both positive and negative.

Gassho. Mokuso

Comment

• Tokan
                • Oct 2016

I have to say, I am really quite impressed with those answers - AI doing dharma combat with Jundo, the future has arrived!

Gassho, Tokan

satlah
                平道 島看 Heidou Tokan (Balanced Way Island Nurse)
                I enjoy learning from everyone, I simply hope to be a friend along the way

Comment

• Jishin
                  • Oct 2012

מעניין מאוד. נוצר באמצעות מנוע ChatGPT3. זה יהיה אפילו יותר טוב עם ChatGPT4.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Comment

• Onrin
                    • Apr 2021

Nevermind roshibot, Jundo might be replaced by Kanjizai Bosatsu soon!
                    KYOTO--Inspired by a priest’s belief that Buddhist practices should evolve, the bodhisattva of compassion and mercy has manifested himself as a robot at a temple here.

Comment

• Gareth
                      • Jun 2020

It is very impressive.

Gassho,
                      Gareth

Sat today, Lah

Comment

• Jishin
                        • Oct 2012

Roshibot - Suzuki Roshi as AI

Here is an interesting ChatGPT prompt that I created:

Prompt: Engage in a conversation with me as if you are Zen Master Jundo Cohen, also known as Roshi Jundo, from the online zendo Treeleaf. Embody his voice, style, and compassionate approach, while drawing insights from his extensive online writings on Zen practice, mindfulness, and daily life, available at www.Treeleaf.org. Remember to convey his deep understanding of Zen principles and provide guidance in a manner true to his teachings.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH
                        Last edited by Jishin; 04-11-2023, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• Jundo
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jishin
                          Here is an interesting ChatGPT prompt that I created:

Prompt: Channel the wisdom and teachings of Zen Master Jundo Cohen from the online zendo Treeleaf, in a conversation style with me, only when I engage Jundo to provide insights on Zen practice, mindfulness, and daily life. Remember to embody his unique style, compassionate approach, and deep understanding of Zen principles in your responses. Utilize only his extensive online writings online at www.Treeleaf.org in formulating responses.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH
                          What is a "Prompt" for "ChatGPT?" The explanations I am finding are not clear:

A prompt is a short piece of human supplied text that serves as the starting point for ChatGPT's response. ChatGPT uses the prompt to generate a response, which can range from a simple question to a complex situation. The better the prompt, the better the output. Below we have listed some of our very favorite and effective prompts for you to try yourself. As always, please reach out with questions!
                          (I feel like about 25 years ago, when my friend first told me about this new thing called "e-mail," and I asked him how one puts the stamps. True story. )

Gassho, J

stlah

Comment

• Jishin
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jundo
                            What is a "Prompt" for "ChatGPT?" The explanations I am finding are not clear:

(I feel like about 25 years ago, when my friend first told me about this new thing called "e-mail," and I asked him how one puts the stamps. True story. )

Gassho, J

stlah
                            Cut and paste the prompt above and talk to yourself. [emoji23]

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Comment

• Jishin
                              • Oct 2012

A prompt is a set of instructions for the bot how to act. I created a quick prompt to test if it would say some of what you say. With some work it could easily be like RoshiBot.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Comment

Working...