X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Buddha-Basics (Part I) — Scooby Dooby Dukkha

Were going to start a new series of 'Sit-a-Long with Jundo’s' on some fundamental Buddhist teachings — those things every Buddhist needs to know (and not know) — and maybe the most fundamental, insightful and elegant is the Buddha’s teaching of the Four Noble Truths, and Dukkha:

So, what are the 'Four Noble Truths' (the Buddha's earliest teaching)?
    Life often entails Dukkha; there is a cause for Dukkha; there is a way to the cessation of Dukkha; that way is the Noble Eightfold Path.

So, what’s “Dukkha”? …and what does Dukkha do?

No one English word captures the full depth and range of the Pali term, Dukkha. It is sometimes rendered as “suffering,” as in “life is suffering.” But perhaps it’s better expressed as “dissatisfaction,” “anxiety,” “disappointment,” “unease at perfection,” or “frustration” — terms that wonderfully convey a subtlety of meaning.

In a nutshell, your “self” wishes this world to be X, yet this world is not X. The mental state that may result to the “self” from this disparity is Dukkha.
    Shakyamuni Buddha gave many examples: sickness (when we do not wish to be sick), old age (when we long for youth), death (if we cling to life), loss of a loved one (as we cannot let go), violated expectations, the failure of happy moments to last (though we wish them to last). Even joyous moments — such as happiness and good news, treasure or pleasant times — can be a source of suffering if we cling to them, if we are attached to those things.

In ancient stories, Dukkha is often compared to a chariot’s or potter’s wheel that will not turn smoothly as it revolves. The opposite, Sukkha, is a wheel that spins smoothly and noiselessly, without resistance as it goes.

Fortunately, Shakyamuni Buddha also provided the Dukkha cure.

CLICK HERE for today’s Sit-A-Long video.

Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-27-2015, 03:47 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • RichardH
    • Nov 2011

Re: Buddha-Basics (Part I) — Scooby Dooby Dukkha

"In a nutshell, your “self” wishes this world to be X, yet this world is not X. The mental state that may result to the “self” from this disparity is Dukkha."

Seeing and relinquishing this has been the basic practice I was taught all along in different traditions, and it has lead by and by to shikantaza as means-end. There is no other choice.

BTW there seem to be few forum members posting in this section, so I hope it is kosher to do so.

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kojip
      "In a nutshell, your “self” wishes this world to be X, yet this world is not X. The mental state that may result to the “self” from this disparity is Dukkha."

Seeing and relinquishing this has been the basic practice I was taught all along in different traditions, and it has lead by and by to shikantaza as means-end. There is no other choice.

BTW there seem to be few forum members posting in this section, so I hope it is kosher to do so.
      Completely Kosher, and resulting in no dissatisfaction, anxiety or disappointment. 8)

Gassho, J
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jigetsu
        • May 2011

I can't believe I'm just now getting to these. Thank you so much Jundo!
        _/\_
        Jigetsu

Comment

• Marla567
          • Nov 2011

Thank you very much Jundo! It was very helpful for me to sit with that.

Pleasant situations are more easy to accept and to allow, perhaps also because of this everyone tries to create pleasant situations, sometimes also in very artificial ways, like in holidays in some kind of artificial "paradies". But there never can be a real happiness, if you can't also accept the unpleasant situations, because there is no way of getting away from them...

So in pleasant situations I sometimes think: Yes, you made it, now you can accept every situation. A few weeks later (or sometimes a few hours later ;-)) I see that this was just wishful thinking. Therefore perhaps unpleasant situations can be very helpful to learn acceptance and allowing (even if it is not easy)...

Gassho
          Bianca
          Gassho,
          Bianca

Comment

• Mp

"Just be" ... thank you for this Jundo. Funny how sometimes when studying for so long that coming back to the basics is the best teaching. Just like Shunryu Suzuki Roshi said, "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind".

Gassho
            Michael

Comment

• Jishin
              • Oct 2012

Jundo,

Thank you for this beautiful teaching.

Comment

• Ed
                • Nov 2012

..always the cause vs the effect...never the right effect lasts, and the wrong result is memorable....we wish this but get that..like a broken record, on and on....even, then, getting what we want turns to smoke, vanishes like the new smell of an expensive car interior...soon it's an old car...

...the other side is awakening to this drama seeing the emptyness of it, the unsubstantiality that causes regrets, feel the evanescence...what joy, only don't hang on to joy....what releif, only don't see it as releif....like a kid wiht his hand in the cookie jar, close the lid. taste the cookie.get ready for the next act....reset..!

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho, Ed B
                "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
                Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Comment

• Genki
                  • Apr 2013

Thank you Jundo for this teaching.

Gassho,
                  Björn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dosho
                    • Jun 2008

Kaishin,

Since the posts are numbered, any reason you needed to have them in order?

Took me awhile to get them all marked as read. Problem? Not really. Annoying enough for me to ask why it was necessary? Yes.

Gassho,
                    Dosho

Comment

• Joryu
                      • Jan 2014

.......simple and beautiful explanation.

Comment

• kidbuda
                        • Dec 2011

beautiful explanation Jundo, thanks.
                        Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.

Comment

• Shugen
                          Treeleaf Unsui
                          • Nov 2007

Gassho,

Shugen

#sattoday
                          Meido Shugen
                          明道 修眼

Comment

• Byokan
                            Treeleaf Unsui
                            • Apr 2014

Gassho
                            Lisa
                            sat today
                            展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
                            Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Joyo

Thank you very much, Jundo. This is just what I needed today. I am so grateful for Treeleaf.

Gassho,
                              Joyo
                              sat today

Comment

Working...