X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victor
    • Mar 2019

Thank you so much! I will remember it!

Gassho
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Comment

• Victor
      • Mar 2019

Today, I started putting insta-zazen into practice. It is simultaneously simple and difficult for sure! I tried maintaining the state of zazen while washing dishes. It worked well for a while, until life started happening and my wife and daughter started asking me for things :P

Such is life, and the value of this practice is not at all diminished
      "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Comment

• Tai Do
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Jundo
        Of course, being a "beginner" never ends on this Path too, even when we are very very experienced and no longer a "beginner" at all ...

... and also being a "no beginner no ender" never ends, of begins for that matter. (A Koan)

Gassho, J

STLah

Mateus
        Sat today/LAH
        怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
        (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Victor
          Today, I started putting insta-zazen into practice. It is simultaneously simple and difficult for sure! I tried maintaining the state of zazen while washing dishes. It worked well for a while, until life started happening and my wife and daughter started asking me for things :P

Such is life, and the value of this practice is not at all diminished
          Life happening and your wife and daughter asking for things --is-- Shikantaza too. Why is such moment different from sitting or washing dishes?

We sit each day facing a wall to realize such fact.

(That is also the reason I banged a big "disturbing" gong during last weekend's Zazenkai .... Have a listen (59:00 mark) ...

Gassho, J

SYLah
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• yuridayananda
            • Apr 2019

Hi everyone, I just watched the talk "Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (6)" and I think it is the most important point ever: I always thought Buddhism as a passive religion and never fully agree because I think we should act to improve our own situation and the world. But now I finally understand !!! I have read dozens of books on Zen but never saw/understood this point. I thank you very much for Mr. Jundo and the sangha for this teaching. It changed me.

Comment

• Victor
              • Mar 2019

I want to thank you again, Jundo-sensei. These lessons have been a blessing for me. I finally saw the final video today and will definitely review them all from time to time as solid reminders!

Comment

• Ippo
                • Apr 2019

LEssons

Originally posted by Victor
                I want to thank you again, Jundo-sensei. These lessons have been a blessing for me. I finally saw the final video today and will definitely review them all from time to time as solid reminders!
                I have just finished video 6 in the beginner series. I have been sitting for many years and I am enjoying learning all that Jundo has to say. These lessons really are insightful and helps me to cultivate beginners mind. Looking forward to the rest of them.

Thank You Jundo and the Tree Leaf Sangha,

Gassho,

Brad

Sat Today
                一 法
                (One)(Dharma)

Everyday is a good day!

Comment

• Onka
                  • May 2019

Re: Lesson 3
                  Thank you Jundo.
                  I have spinal disabilities and have to date metaphorically beaten myself up because I couldn't 'sit' Zazen properly. Depending on the day I 'sit' Zazen either in a chair or lying down. I will try it reclining and standing to see how that goes.
                  Thanks again Jundo. The Treeleaf Sangha member who suggested I visit Treeleaf gets a huge virtual hug from me for their recommendation. After only being a member for a week or so I have regained my belief that sometime in the future I may indeed be able to take/receive the Precepts despite my physical limitations.
                  Anna [emoji120]

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A125 using Tapatalk
                  穏 On (Calm)
                  火 Ka (Fires)
                  They/She.

Comment

• Jundo
                    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Ak36
                    Re: Lesson 3
                    Thank you Jundo.
                    I have spinal disabilities and have to date metaphorically beaten myself up because I couldn't 'sit' Zazen properly. Depending on the day I 'sit' Zazen either in a chair or lying down. I will try it reclining and standing to see how that goes.
                    Thanks again Jundo. The Treeleaf Sangha member who suggested I visit Treeleaf gets a huge virtual hug from me for their recommendation. After only being a member for a week or so I have regained my belief that sometime in the future I may indeed be able to take/receive the Precepts despite my physical limitations.
                    Anna [emoji120]

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A125 using Tapatalk
                    Anna, the sitting is "proper" when the heart is at home in "sitting" (reclining etc.) such way, and the secret to that is between one's own ears. lf one feels at home, then one is at home.

Gassho, J

STLah
                    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• silence
                      • Jun 2019

Hello

I have a question about sitting shikantaza.
                      Almost every time when I'm sitting, my left thumb hurts. Mainly the left joint hurts. Sometimes i am not able to stay my hands in this position.
                      Do you have any ideas what i am making wrong? Or what i can do better?

Thank you very much for your help!

Gassho
                      John

Sat today

Comment

• Geika
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jan 2010

John,

I don't know if you are doing anything wrong, but it sounds like one of your left joints might be having some trouble. If it hurts, perhaps maybe a check up at the doctor to make sure that there isn't some underlying issue?

Gassho

Sat today, lah
                        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Geika
                          John,

I don't know if you are doing anything wrong, but it sounds like one of your left joints might be having some trouble. If it hurts, perhaps maybe a check up at the doctor to make sure that there isn't some underlying issue?

Gassho

Sat today, lah
                          Hey John,

I echo what Geika is sayin here.

Be well.

Gassho
                          Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• silence
                            • Jun 2019

Hello

Thank you for your fast answers.

There is no long time, that a doctor checked it. There is nothing.
                            When I get relex, it stop hurting. But it is difficult to relax for me.

A folded cloth under my handis stabilitizong my hands. And then it gets better. I tried just now for one Zazen-period.
                            Do you think thats a good idea? Can i use a folded colth?

Gassho
                            John

Sat today
                            Last edited by silence; 06-04-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by silence
                              Hello

Thank you for your fast answers.

There is no long time, that a doctor checked it. There is nothing.
                              When I get relex, it stop hurting. But it is difficult to relax for me.

A folded cloth under my handis stabilitizong my hands. And then it gets better. I tried just now for one Zazen-period.
                              Do you think thats a good idea? Can i use a folded colth?

Gassho
                              John

Sat today
                              Hey John,

Sometimes when we are holding our hand mudra we are also unconsciously holding it too tight or firm. Have you tried a couple different hand positions to see if it helps?

This is the Soto tradition that we do here ...

hand 2.jpg

Here is a Rinzai style ...

hand 3.jpg

And here is an example of relaxing the thumbs ... (maybe give this one a try and see if it helps relax the thumbs).

hand 1.jpeg

Also, it is find it you want to add a blanket or some support on your lap for your hands to rest.

Let us know how you get along. =)

Gassho
                              Shingen

Sat/LAH
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2019, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Tai Do
                                • Jan 2019

Hi John,
                                Good that you already saw a doctor. We cannot reject professional help when needed. But as he found nothing wrong...
                                I think that if helps you with your pain, it is OK to use a folded cloth in your lap. I myself already did the same when my back was hurting a lot that I couldn’t bring my hands together without pain between the shoulders. Perhaps it has something to do with the strength with which you are doing the mudra, or the overall position of your body. I’m constantly experimenting small variations in my positioning (even during a sit) in order to avoid pain. I think there is nothing wrong with it, but our veterans and teachers can certainly guide you better than me.
                                Gassho,
                                Mateus
                                Sat/LAH
                                怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
                                (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Comment

Working...