This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tai Shi
    • Oct 2014

A very, very important warning, and word to the wise!

For my medications--I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN COMPLIANT with excellent doctors over the full duration of my treatment for pain! A person must never, ever try to treat themselves with any medication of any kind! I am under the care of two excellent doctors for opiates an ALL MY MEDICATIONS, so never, ever take ANY drug without full cooperation with excellent doctors! I have severe arthritis of the spine, called Ankylosing Spondylitis, and I have experienced pain levels of 8, 9, and 10. These doctors began treating me three years back, and have followed my case to the letter as I have been fully compliant! My doctors and I have been able to bring opiates down by 3/4 less, and now I am treated with two non-opiate medications. When I say we will bring down another notch, this means I will be on 4/5 less the amount I was on at one time, and the hope is that with safe medications we can come to nearly none. I have used ALL types of meditations, and mind body exercises with the help of a great psychologist. Shikantaza has helped me gain a wonderful outlook on my life, so with ALL tools and under the care of wonderful professionals I live with pain levels of 4, 5, and 6. NEVER EVER EXPERIMENT WITH SELF CARE! THIS IS AGAINST OUR PRECEPTS in our Zen practice.

Tai Shi
    std
    Gassho
    Deep Bows
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 04-30-2017, 01:47 PM.
    Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Shinshou
      • May 2017

In video four, you say shikantaza is the simplest form of meditation. I agree that it is simple, but is it the easiest? It seems to me that due to the nature of the mind, it's easier to have a focus, a goal. Perhaps an open awareness non-duality is the eventual end – or beginning – of all meditation, but beginning with the end seems like a very difficult endeavor, like a beginning runner starting training for a marathon by running 26 miles.

Sat today

Comment

• Margherita
        • May 2017

Hello everybody,
        I have a question regarding video number 13.
        "Insta-Zazen" it's a thing I've been trying to do (it came out quite naturally really, even before watching Jundo's video), with some success in certain occasions and no success at all at other times. It won't work too well if I'm nervous or angry. But I discovered that being a bus driver I sit for long hours, so I try to concentrate on the breathing and then expand my concentration all around me, focusing on the driving of course. I find myself to be more attentive and if tangled thoughts arrive I try to let them go. Of course I won't drive crossed legged (but the thought made me laugh) and I won't do any Mudra with my hands, they can stay on the steering wheel!
        My question for you more experienced people is: do you think it is safe to do so?

Thanks,
        Mags

Comment

• Kyousui
          • Feb 2017

I like to do "car zen" on long drives too, first it helps me focus on my driving (which is where my focus should be). Sending Metta to the other drivers also helps with my mindfullness.

Sat2day

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Margherita
            Hello everybody,
            I have a question regarding video number 13.
            "Insta-Zazen" it's a thing I've been trying to do (it came out quite naturally really, even before watching Jundo's video), with some success in certain occasions and no success at all at other times. It won't work too well if I'm nervous or angry. But I discovered that being a bus driver I sit for long hours, so I try to concentrate on the breathing and then expand my concentration all around me, focusing on the driving of course. I find myself to be more attentive and if tangled thoughts arrive I try to let them go. Of course I won't drive crossed legged (but the thought made me laugh) and I won't do any Mudra with my hands, they can stay on the steering wheel!
            My question for you more experienced people is: do you think it is safe to do so?

Thanks,
            Mags
            Sounds lovely but, whatever you do, road safety comes first. Keep your eyes on the road, watch the other cars, drive safely. I don't mix my Zazen with heavy machinery!

Maybe you could limit the practice to the time passengers are loading and getting off only? Door open, mind open. Door closed, back to the road. Passenger yells at you or is drunk ... mind VERY open.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Margherita
              • May 2017

Thanks for your answer. I would like to clarify that of course safety comes first, to injure someone (or worst) is my fear since I started this job. So I try my best not to do something stupid (and I've seen lots of unbelievable behaviours on the road), I just thought that to not lose myself into my own tangled thoughts would have been a good thing. I will follow your advice though, Jundo.

Gassho,
              Mags
              Sat today

Inviato dal mio SM-J510FN utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

• Iammichael
                • Aug 2017

Hi Jundo, Thanks you for these talks. Number 7 was specially important for me. I have been sitting zazen for ten years and your explanation of how thoughts become light, thinking/no thinking is encouraging to me. This is sometimes my experience. Thank you, Michael

Comment

• Seishin
                  • Aug 2016

Jundo Roshi

Tomorrow marks a year from when I applied and was accepted to join this wonderful Sangha. I have just gone through the Beginners lessons again for probably the fourth or fifth time today to see if I have actually learnt anything in the last year. Thought I would take the opportunity to thank you for your teaching and guidance. And to thank those Sangha members who have also provided guidance, support and friendship on my journey along this long trodden path.

I realize I still have much to learn and to some degree am still the miserable, short tempered, often angry, SOB I've always been, between bouts of normality and friendliness, acting the fool to the amusement of others but finally recognizing these failings.

I have sat daily since being accepted here, missing only one day (Sept 19 last year which felt very strange and does even now) and this practice has become an integral part of my life. Still not sure about committing 100% and undertaking Jukai but am happy where I am right now, moment by moment.

Thought this was appropriate....................

Deep bows my esteemed Roshi. Safe journey home.

STMIZ lah
                  Last edited by Seishin; 08-30-2017, 07:05 PM.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
                  Shin - Heart

Comment

• Francisco Toro
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jundo
                    Dear All,

Kindly post all comments, questions, impressions and objections regarding this Series and any of the videos in this thread. (I have had to do so to keep the lessons in sequence).

If refrencing a particular talk, it woud be nice to mention which one. Thank you so much.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
                    Gassho!
                    In the observation of respiration, particularly in the Hara area, it is the movement of the muscles of the lower abdomen that must be contemplated and not the breathing as such, this is the
                    correct consideration of how to observe the breath ?.
                    Thanks for your kindness.
                    Gassho.
                    Francisco

Comment

• Jundo
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Francisco Toro
                      Gassho!
                      In the observation of respiration, particularly in the Hara area, it is the movement of the muscles of the lower abdomen that must be contemplated and not the breathing as such, this is the
                      correct consideration of how to observe the breath ?.
                      Thanks for your kindness.
                      Gassho.
                      Francisco
                      Hi Francisco,

I would say that nothing should be contemplated. Generally, following the breath is a temporary measure in Soto Zen (I will explain below), but good for beginners to settle down a little by sensing the air enter and leave the nostrils. One should just be lightly aware.

Eventually, in Shikantaza, one should move to "Open Spacious Awareness" not focused on the breath or anything particular at all.

As to Dogen, all he advises (in Fukanzazengi and elsewhere) is to "take a breath and exhale fully", and then turn to "thinking not thinking non thinking". In a section of Eihei Kokoru he is extremely and explicitely critical of breath counting or following (p 114 here https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=...nayana&f=false ), calling it a "Hinayana" practice. He also is not too keen on the "Mahayana" way of breathing from the Hara either, seeming to say "long breaths are long, short are short" not coming or going to anywhere. In my opinion, modern teachers who instruct in counting breath might be helping newcomers get settled a bit (I tell newcomers to follow the breath for awhile or when the head is really running wild), but if they leave students doing so for years,or leave them with the impression that such calming is the point of Shikantaza, they are doing them a disservice. That IS NOT Shikantaza. I am not sure where the breath counting was reintroduced historically, but it is not really introducing students to the power of Shikantaza.

also point you to Keizan in Zazen yojinki, who does seem to recommend some breath following in limited uses, especially for particularly unsettled times .... "Sometimes [in Zazen] your body may feel hot or cold, rough or smooth, stiff or loose, heavy or light, or astonishingly wide-awake. Such sensations are caused by a disharmony of mind and breath. You should regulate your breathing as follows: open your mouth for a little while, letting long breaths be long and short breaths be short, and harmonize it gradually. Follow your breath for a while; when awareness comes, your breathing will be naturally harmonized. After that, breathe naturally through your nose" and "[At ordinary times:] Place the tongue on the palate and breathe through the nose. The mouth should be closed. The eyes should be open but not too wide nor too slight. Harmonizing the body in this way, breathe deeply with the mouth once or twice. Sitting steadily, sway the torso seven or eight times in decreasing movements. Sit straight and alert. Now think of what is without thought. How can you think of it? Be non-thinking. This is the essence of zazen."

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Hoyu
                        • Nov 2010

Evening sit after watching A SERIES OF TALKS FOR NEW FOLKS #2
                        Ouch!
                        Ho (Dharma)
                        Yu (Hot Water)

Comment

• newby_x86
                          • Dec 2017

Hello,

This concerns where we sit. I have been trying to sit up close with a wall just like the image posted a few posts back when I'd asked a related question. It feels a little too much and in my face. I find that sometimes sitting with the whole room in view or just keeping the gaze on the floor ahead works best. Just wanted to get your quick opinion.

Thanks,
                          Anant
                          SatToday

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

Hi Anant,

Move back away from the wall, or see the whole room or the floor. However, sit without thinking of wall, room or floor. Just let them be, and don't ponder them or be bothered.

Some commentators have noted that, more than sitting "facing the wall," we actually sit more "like a wall sits." A wall does not care if the sun is shining or it rains, if a child bounces a ball on it or a cat urinates on it. Just Sit.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
                            Last edited by Jundo; 02-15-2018, 03:07 AM.

Comment

• Jishin
                              • Oct 2012

Hi,

I am generally a messy person so my wall looks like this:

IMG_0203.JPG

Way better than a boring white wall.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_ , LAH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Jundo
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jishin
                                Hi,

I am generally a messy person so my wall looks like this:

[ATTACH]4940[/ATTACH]

Way better than a boring white wall.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_ , LAH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                                So long as one is not judging or getting caught in thoughts about the mess ... then what mess? One is then sitting with a mind that is the most pristine room in the universe.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Comment

Working...