X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tom
    The settling period it allows, though, is useful. I use it to recite the precepts, say atonement, and read or chant the sutra I'm working on.
    Gassho,
    SatToday
    When sitting Shikantaza, just sit Shikantaza.

Before or after Shikantaza is a time to chant. Of course, Shikantaza has no measure, no before or after. Yet, it does ... so please do not break Shikantaza at such short intervals for other activities.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• PClark1
      • Apr 2017

In the Burmese pose, does it matter which leg is folded under first? I usually see folks with their left leg under and their right toward the outside, but I have a lot if hip pain when I try to sit that way. (Old hip injury) however, if I do the opposite, I'm usually quite comfortable.

I was just wondering if there was a traditional reason to have the left leg under and should I look for a different pose if I'm not able to adapt to that?

Gassho,
      Paul

Sat today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jishin
        • Oct 2012

Do what's comfortable.

My 2 cents.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by PClark1
          In the Burmese pose, does it matter which leg is folded under first? I usually see folks with their left leg under and their right toward the outside, but I have a lot if hip pain when I try to sit that way. (Old hip injury) however, if I do the opposite, I'm usually quite comfortable.

I was just wondering if there was a traditional reason to have the left leg under and should I look for a different pose if I'm not able to adapt to that?

Gassho,
          Paul

Sat today

Hello Paul,

I also agree that you should do what is best for your body type or injuries. Zazen is not suppose to be torture or cause undo pain and discomfort. There are times when we challenge ourselves and sit with some discomfort (like in sesshin or longer sittings), but this is only temporary. So listen to your body. Even if sitting in your normal position you need to shift, then gassho, shift, gassho, and continue with your sitting.

Hope this helps. =)

Gassho
          Shingen

s@today

Comment

• PClark1
            • Apr 2017

It does help, very much. Thank you both for your input.

Gassho,

Paul

Sat today

Comment

• RobotUnicorn
              • Apr 2017

Thank you, Jundo, these are great talks and I'm finding them really useful.

I've just finished listening to talk number 10 about mirror mind. Sometimes when I sit, I feel a deep sense of calm and 'rightness' with where I am - it's hard to describe, but I refer to it as (using a Christian reference) "the peace that transcends all understanding". Is this what mirror mind refers to?

In that moment, I 'know' it's there all along, but somehow it's not so easy to tap into in other moments!

Georgina
              SatToday

(PS. What does Gassho mean, please?)

Comment

• Kyonin
                Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                • Oct 2010

Hi Georgina,

In my understanding of mirror mind, it's that place inside your zazen when you are just part of life, without thoughts governing you and you just flow with what is. Yes, it's a peace that transcends it all. It's a wholeness that melts you with the universe. It's where you just reflect life without opinions and judgment. It lasts just an instant but we don't get lost in it. It's what is.

And about gassho, it's pretty much like namasté in yoga. It's a greeting, a reverence, a salute, a symbol of union, peace and wish that all boundaries are lost. To me (can't talk for anyone else) is a sacred mudra (hand posture) that reminds me that we are one.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                SatToday
                Last edited by Jundo; 04-14-2017, 11:30 PM.
                Hondō Kyōnin
                奔道 協忍

Comment

• RobotUnicorn
                  • Apr 2017

Thank you for your explanations, Kyonini I hope I can learn to be in that mode a little more often!

Gassho,
                  Georgina

SatToday

Comment

• Anka
                    • Mar 2017

The explanation of mirror mind that I have heard and trust from experience is as follows.

When something happens (a noise, a taste, a feeling) our minds have been trained to instantly apply either "I like" or "I dislike". These notions effect how we experience the feelings or thoughts. Mirror mind generated from our practice allows us to experience what our senses are picking up without bias of like or dislike. As a result we see, hear, and feel what is truly there. As a result our judgement is not clouded and we can act according to these stimulants from a base of understanding and compassion.

Sat today

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Anka; 04-14-2017, 09:31 PM. Reason: Sat

Comment

• Jundo
                      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kyonin
                      Hi Georgina,

In my understanding of mirror mind, it's that place inside your zazen when you are just part of life, without thoughts governing you and you just flow with what is. Yes, it's a peace that transcends it all. It's a wholeness that melts you with the universe. It's where you just reflect life without opinions and judgment. It lasts just an instant but we don't get lost in it. It's what is.

And about gassho, it's pretty much like namasté in yoga. It's a greeting, a reverence, a salute, a symbol of union, peace and wish that all boundaries are lost. To me (can't talk for anyone else) is a sacred mudra (hand posture) that reminds me that we are one.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                      SatToday
                      What Kyonin said.

Gassho, palms together, two hands coming together as one.

I believe that mirror mind often brings to heart "peace that transcends all understanding" that's "there all along, but somehow it's not so easy to tap into." Yes. I simply remind folks to remember that the "clarity of the mirror" in our Shikantaza way is present seen or unseen, even if the mirror is completely obscured by the dusts of our human excess desires, anger and divided thinking, judgments and runaway emotions.

It is vital that we do not always demand to "feel peaceful" in this Way, and learn to trust in the "Peace and Clarity" that is present both when feeling peaceful and clear --and-- even when feeling upset or confused, as humans sometimes do. It is hard to explain, but it is something like the Sun which shines even when the skies are clear, open and boundless, and even on the cloudiest or stormiest days (still shining seen or not, clouds or no clouds). We learn to trust, and subtly sense, that the sun and clear boundlessness are yet present even when we are feeling obscured by the darkest clouds. We learn not to become lost in the clouds, and perhaps can find the light which illuminates even the clouds. Don't always demand clear skies!

Hi Anka,

Originally posted by Anka
                      The explanation of mirror mind that I have heard and trust from experience is as follows.

When something happens (a noise, a taste, a feeling) our minds have been trained to instantly apply either "I like" or "I dislike". These notions effect how we experience the feelings or thoughts. Mirror mind generated from our practice allows us to experience what our senses are picking up without bias of like or dislike. As a result we see, hear, and feel what is truly there. As a result our judgement is not clouded and we can act according to these stimulants from a base of understanding and compassion.

Sat today
                      (Is Anka your name? Would you mind to sign a human name to your posts? Helps us keep things human around here. )

Some Buddhist Teachers do say such things, but I do not believe it is quite so simple that "we see, hear, and feel what is truly there. As a result our judgement is not clouded and we can act according to these stimulants from a base of understanding and compassion." First, I believe that the processing of sense data by the human mind is so complicated, and so "reprocessed" to create the world we experience in the mind, that I hesitate to use the phrase "what is truly there." (If you were seeing truly unprocessed sense data, it might appear as completely uninterpreted blotches and unintelligible noise, for example, much like a newborn baby might experience. I don't believe that we are trying to experience that). Let us just say that what we experience is life less burdened and imprisoned by judgments and reactions to what appears in life.

Also, I am not a Buddhist teacher that believes that the result of "mirror mind" necessarily means that we will act with Wisdom and Compassion. Frankly, I believe that a sociopath who acts without empathy for the emotions and humanity of others might also be operating from a kind of cool "mirror mind" free of judgement. Certainly, I do not believe that experiencing the clarity and freedom of "mirror mind" will necessarily mean that our actions from there will always be wise and warm. We have to be sure to nurture Wisdom and Compassion in our Practice, through learning to live in such way, so that such is an aspect of "mirror mind" and all the rest of our Practice. The Precepts help us here.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
                      Last edited by Jundo; 04-15-2017, 12:03 AM.
                      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Anka
                        • Mar 2017

Hi Jundo,

Thank you for those fantastic points.

Reality really is an interesting subject because in truth we have no idea if we are experiencing life as it truly is or if our minds warp the true sense data.

All decisions can be seen as both wise/warm and ignorant/cold based off the past experiences and mindset of the person analysing the decision.

Sat Today
                        James F

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• RobotUnicorn
                          • Apr 2017

That's really interesting, thank you Jundo and James for a really interesting discussion.

And yes, that's a really good point, Jundo, about not always chasing after feeling peaceful. That's a trap I fall into often, and then a whole slew of judgements against myself rise up when I can't quite see the peace behind the turmoil, either on or off the cushion (or seiza bench, in my case). Ah well, all the more reason to continue practicing!

Gassho,
                          Georgina

SatToday

Comment

• Onkai
                            Treeleaf Unsui
                            • Aug 2015

Thank you, Jundo, for this series of talks. I just went through them, I think for the second time, although I didn't remember some of them at all. They are encouraging.

Gassho,
                            Onkai
                            SatToday
                            美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
                            恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Oukan
                              • Oct 2016

Thank you Jundo,

I watched these last year but I think that after you reorganized them and changed the format a little they are much easier to follow. Time to watch again.

Gassho

Oukan.
                              Gassho

s@t today.

Comment

• Tai Shi
                                • Oct 2014

Hi ALL, Yes I am not my pain, and even on two non-narcotics, and at the real minimum, might go one more notch down, which I think I can handle, and really joyous that my mind is now so clear, and my wife says I'm somewhat better so keep working on the psychology of my situation, yes I AM NOT MY PAIN, and I use it as a tool in practice, to just forget sensations, great.

Now about timers, I've never used one in personal sitting, and I use some of our chants and bowing, but at first I checked and watched the clock, Truly even with my Treeleaf, almost three years, total I've been sitting 6 years. So watching the clocked has dropped away, and now naturally, 30 to 40 minutes seems so short a time as i emerge from sitting naturally. I often sit with Priests, great practice, and I sit alone or with a friend with a timer. Still sitting seems so short, and yet I know that those with a family must practice with 15 minutes here and there. At first my sitting was exactly this, 15 minutes, or even 10. So really do not worry about distractions, and with time and practice, timers might drop away and 15 minutes might feel just right. Be patient with yourselves, and keep sitting.

Tai Shi
                                std
                                Gassho
                                Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

Working...