• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

WHAT IS ZEN? - Thru Chap 1 - 'What's The Point?'

Hi All Questioners,

Mast Dogen used to take question words like "What?" and employ them in his Shobogenzo teachings as emphatic expressions of the wonder of All Reality, more like the "WHAT!" in "THAT'S WHAT'S WHAT!" and "WHAAAATSU UP!" ..

On that note, let's begin our dance with the book "What is Zen?" by the great Norman Fischer and the also wonderful Susan Moon.

By Norman Fischer and Susan Moon. An accessible and enjoyable introduction to Zen Buddhist practice—in a reader-friendly question-and-answer format—by two highly regarded teacher-writers.

I thought we would start with the Preface and Introduction, followed by the rather short Chapter 1. I hope that is not too much. They are pretty easy reads.

Any impressions, comments, disagreements or anything are most welcome, please post here.

I might suggest a couple of topics, just to seed the discussion:

So, what is Zen, and the point of Zen practice, to you as we begin this book?

What do you consider to be the meaning in saying "no gaining mind" and "goallessness" in Shikantaza Practice?

Enjoy!

I guess, depending how the discussion is going, that I will post a new reading every week or two weeks. Let's see.

SAY WHAT!!!!

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-08-2018, 02:07 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Mp

Wonderful Jundo ... my copy has just been waiting for this day. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Shinshi
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jul 2010

Thank you Jundo. I have my copy ready to go.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
      空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
      There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
      -Dogen
      E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Shokai
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Mar 2009

More a Q and A than a dialogue so far. Enjoy the plain language and warm teacher/student, friend/friend relation between Susan and Norman.
        Being alive is a gift and a responsibility. Practice helps us see and live it like that.
        "Gaining Mind" is a hindrance to gaining independence. As stated,
        looking for something stands in the way of getting what you are looking for.
        Norman includes the usual paradoxes found in Zen and sums it all with his last statement.
        Zen practice helps us to live (our) actual lives; not (our) descriptions of it.
        合掌,生開
        gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Troy
          • Sep 2013

I read through the first chapter.

Zen is many things to me, but I will mention this for now. Zen is Zazen. Zen is Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. Zen is easing our own suffering and the suffering of others, living compassionately, being engaged, connecting spiritually to the oneness of life, experiencing each moment and then letting go. Zen is me and you. It is the sound of the wind through the trees and sunlight warming our skin. It is the smile on a child’s face. It is the death of a loved one. It is wholly us and wholly not us and wholly us again. Zen is everything and nothing.

What do you consider to be the meaning in saying "no gaining mind" and "goallessness" in Shikantaza Practice?

Finding by not seeking.

Sat2day

Comment

• Shokai
            Treeleaf Priest
            • Mar 2009

Wow, why didn't I say that

gassho, shokai
            stlah
            合掌,生開
            gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Troy

Zen is many things to me, but I will mention this for now. Zen is Zazen. Zen is Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. Zen is easing our own suffering and the suffering of others, living compassionately, being engaged, connecting spiritually to the oneness of life, experiencing each moment and then letting go. Zen is me and you. It is the sound of the wind through the trees and sunlight warming our skin. It is the smile on a child’s face. It is the death of a loved one. It is wholly us and wholly not us and wholly us again. Zen is everything and nothing.

Finding by not seeking.

Sat2day
              I think that we can burn the book now. No need to read on.

Comment

• Jakuden
                • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Jundo
                I think that we can burn the book now. No need to read on.
                [emoji1][emoji120]
                Deep bows, Troy!

Gassho
                Jakuden
                SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Troy

Finding by not seeking.

Sat2day
                  Nicely said Troy ... glad I bought the Kindle version, all I have to do is delete it. =)

Gassho
                  Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Myogan
                    • Aug 2015

What is Zen. In my medical practice I often prescribed meditation for people with stress. I have done this even before I became a Buddhist, so I always give them full disclosure that although I am a Zen Buddhist, the meditation is not Zen Buddhism. Strangely enough, after I say this, no one has ever asked me what is Zen.

For me, Zen is laminar, resonant, copacetic, sympathetic, complementary, harmonic; and yet something I can’t describe, I just know it when I feel it.

The point of practice? To find it in the irregular, discordant, disagreeable, disdainful, confrontational, and incongruous life where it always has been in the first place.

Gassho
                    Sat/lah
                    Marc Connery
                    明岩
                    Myo̅ Gan - Bright Cliff

I put the Monkey in Monkeymind

Comment

• Dan
                      • Jun 2018

Slip-Sliding Away

Metta to all:

To me Zen is hanging up the "I," suit in the closet, and venturing out without the filter of the"I," suit on. But, the vestiges of the "I," suit still cling to me. No matter what I do some "I," suit underwear is till present. I can't fully perceive the void although I feel it as a presence. I think the Heart Sutra is literal. "Form is emptiness." This book and to a greater extent, Treeleaf, and Shikantaza Zazen are teaching me that to percieve that that perceives us all I have to let go of my perceptions altogether. Zen is like the Paul Simmons song, "You near your destination the more you're slip-sliding away."

Gassho,
                      Sat/Lah

Comment

• Jundo
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Dan
                        Metta to all:

To me Zen is hanging up the "I," suit in the closet, and venturing out without the filter of the"I," suit on. But, the vestiges of the "I," suit still cling to me. No matter what I do some "I," suit underwear is till present. I can't fully perceive the void although I feel it as a presence. I think the Heart Sutra is literal. "Form is emptiness." This book and to a greater extent, Treeleaf, and Shikantaza Zazen are teaching me that to percieve that that perceives us all I have to let go of my perceptions altogether. Zen is like the Paul Simmons song, "You near your destination the more you're slip-sliding away."

Gassho,
                        Sat/Lah
                        Why do you feel that you must run around naked? Stay like that, and you'll just catch cold! Sometimes naked, sometimes clothed, but isn't the true body present all along?

I hope this helps ...

Hello. Today after sitting i am a bit confused.. questions arise after shikantaza: sawaki roshi and uchiyama roshi taught that we simply sit with our whole being, when thoughts come up we should return to sitting/reality (kakusoku)..for me it sounds like cutting somehow off the arising thoughts. Okumura taught: let thoughts

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Mr_Kha
                          • Jun 2018

I got the book some weeks ago and was surprised it is on the list of the Book Group. However, haven't really started. I read the first chapter this morning. I practiced Zen, but I actually have not read much books about it, except Thich Nhat Hanh, who probably is not the best intro if you join Soto Zen. I will give some of my ideas in my next comment, I want to read the first chapter and intro again.

Gassho,
                          Karsten

- could not sit today, because I am at war with local authorities, but maybe later -

Comment

• Troy
                            • Sep 2013

Lol guys [emoji4][emoji1374] deep bows. Thank you for being great teachers

Sat2day

Comment

• Michael Joseph
                              • Mar 2017

Hello all,

I bought the book through Audible and listened to it several months ago. I just wanted to mention that in case there are any differences in the audio and print versions.

What is Zen? I thought a knew what Zen was a few months ago, but that wasn't it. I thought I knew what Zen was a year an a half ago when I joined Treeleaf, but that wasn't it. I thought I knew what Zen was years ago when I started reading about it, but hat wasn't it. What I think now is: Zen is the acceptance of the continual revision of what I think I know about life, living in the midst of it not as an I but as an eye--and accepting that, finally, this is not it either.

Gassho,

Michael

STLAH

Comment

Working...