Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chankin
    • Jul 2015

21st century Zen

When we read the scriptures might I suggest that we are trying to understand what Gotama meant when he said :” Nirvana is the extinction of dukkha.”
    Since his death there have been many attempts to explain what he meant.
    The Pali Cannon consists of 45 volumes.
    The Chinese scriptures consist of 100 volumes , each of 1000 closely worded pages.
    The Tibetan scriptures consist of 325 volumes.
    The Dharma was transmitted orally for 500 years.
    All of that contributed by highly intelligent philosophers and experts well experienced in the fruits of correct meditation who struggled to express their experiences logically.
    This has resulted in his teaching being interpreted differently by many schools and factions. Even Zen, the teaching outside the scriptures, has fragmented.

Here is an attempt to get to the heart and core of Buddhism which lives hidden in this vast body of literature. Below is why zazen works :

Here is 21st century Zen – a direct pointing at the common human goal:
    As the first signs of a central nervous system began to appear in the history of the evolution of life on our planet, the model that primordial, hypothetical creatures exhibited was:

State 1/ Passive but alert awareness.

State 2/ Reception of a stimulus.
    The stimulus could be pleasure, the demands of appetite, danger or pain.

State 3/ Reacting to that stimulus by successful action guided by intellect [using conscious mental activity} until the stimulus is gone
    Conscious mental activity is all the tools intellect has at its disposal; it is the perception, accumulation, recall and association of data – all thinking, imagining .planning and predicting etc.
    The response to pleasure would be to sustain it; to appetite to satisfy it; to danger and pain, to avoid them. All responses would engage all the mental skills the primitive creature possessed.

State 4/ Return to a state of alert passive awareness.
    Once the stimulus has been removed by finding a solution to the problems it presented, the possessor of such a system would return to a mental state of alert but passive awareness. You could say it would be reacquainted with its original mind. Or that it would have peace of mind – conventionally called happiness.
    This is the model from which our own highly sophisticated central nervous system has evolved.

The rules that apply to the original primordial system also apply to ours.

However, for us, as life has grown more complex, the stimuli proliferated, and the responses to those stimuli have overwhelmed us to such an extent that modern men rarely if ever experience the first element of the model from which their central nervous system has evolved – alert, passive awareness – profound peace-of-mind.

Meditation (zazen) is a way to reacquaint us with that first element - passive awareness – peace of mind - and integrate it into our daily lives.
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Hmmm. Perhaps you are writing one more Scripture? One more philosophy?

Gassho, J

PS - Chankin, I notice you never introduced yourself. Would you kindly do so?

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Juki
      • Dec 2012

"Here is an attempt to get to the heart and core of Buddhism which lives hidden in this vast body of literature."

Does it? Really?

For me, the literature makes the simple complex. Zazen makes the complex simple.

Gassho,
      Juki

#sattoday
      "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Comment

• Jishin
        • Oct 2012

Hi Chankin,

You are attached to words.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Rich
          • Apr 2009

The volume of Buddhist literature and counting is a fascinating phenomenon. It's like 'oh, I'm a Buddhist, time to write a book'

No, I'm not going to give away the subject of my lay Buddhist writing project. 😊 -)
          😉😎
          SAT today
          _/_
          Rich
          MUHYO
          無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Jishin
            • Oct 2012

I wouldn't know where to begin and end writing a Buddhist book.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Juki
              • Dec 2012

My lay Buddhist writing project is quite simple. One of these nights, I want to take a can of fluorescent green spray paint and scrawl the words "WAKE UP" on the side of the Florida State Capital building. I call it Guerrilla Zen!

Gassho,
              Juki

Sat today
              "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Comment

• Risho
                • May 2010

hahhaha

-sattoday
                Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Rich
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Juki
                  My lay Buddhist writing project is quite simple. One of these nights, I want to take a can of fluorescent green spray paint and scrawl the words "WAKE UP" on the side of the Florida State Capital building. I call it Guerrilla Zen!

Gassho,

Juki

Sat today

Maybe just a sign because they would lock you up for a long time.

It's amazing how a minority can turn themselves into a majority in a state legislature.

SAT today
                  _/_
                  Rich
                  MUHYO
                  無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Kyonin
                    Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                    • Oct 2010

Hi Chankin,

I don't know about all that. I just sit.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                    #SatToday
                    Hondō Kyōnin
                    奔道 協忍

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Kyonin
                      Hi Chankin,

I don't know about all that. I just sit.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                      #SatToday
                      I was going to say that same ... for me when I think too much, I just go sit. =)

Gassho
                      Shingen

#sattoday

Comment

• Sozan
                        • Oct 2015

Might also be effective on the US Capital Bldg, or the UN Headquarters, for that matter.

Gassho,
                        Sozan / john

s@2day

Comment

• Ryumon
                          • Apr 2007

I'm always skeptical of people who use bold type when they post on forums. Just saying... :-)

Gassho,

Kirk

SatToday;wellSortOfAboutToSit
                          I know nothing.

Comment

• Joyo

Hi Chankin, I don't know any of that either. But I do know that I have a tendency to be an over thinking addict, and zazen is the perfect activity for it.

Gassho,
                            Joyo
                            sat today

Comment

• Jundo
                              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                              • Apr 2006

Hi Chankin,

I thought that you also deserve some straight* response to your proposal, so let me try. What you wrote is a bit hard to follow, but I will do my best.

If I follow correctly, you proposal is the return to a state of "passive alertness" by the removal or satiation of pleasure, appetite, danger and pain.

I would say that, in Zazen, we certainly do not seek to fully eliminate or satiate those four things because it is not possible for a human being most of the time (it is for short periods, such as when we take drugs for pain or feel a moment of satiation after a meal). So, better that we moderate and master each, not being their prisoner or bound by excess (a little appetite and fear is needed for life and we are hard wired for each, but that is very different from being addicted to our appetite or drowning in fear). As well, we might be said through Zazen to "pierce through" our human thoughts, emotions and desires.

Do you know that it is possible to know pleasure and equanimity, appetite and satiation, fear and fearlessness, pain and healthy wholeness all at once, at the same time? It is true. There is a kind of Peace (Big P) which shines in and right through all small human peace and struggles, at once.

Also, not to be neglected is the Compassion, Loving Kindness and Sympathetic Joy which is a seed to arise from this all, our Vow to Rescue All the Sentient Beings.

I am not sure about the term "passive alertness" because Zazen is also active, and is not only a matter of being passive. One might say that, through Zazen, we can access the Stillness (Big S) that is both in stillness and motion, even in the greatest commotion! Stillness in motion!

Something like that. I hope I read your words correctly.

Gassho, Jundo

* PS - In traditional Zen Lingo "straight" is sometimes a poetic reference to the "absolute", while "crooked" was a reference to this complicated world of division, desire, etc. In fact, through Zazen, one finds the Straightest Straight that is both this world's straight and crooked.
                              Last edited by Jundo; 01-28-2016, 12:42 AM.
                              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

Working...