Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Getchi
    • May 2015

Beautiful thread, thankyou all!

In a similar vein, perhaps, I consider "Romeo and Julliet" by Dire Straits one of the greatest love songs of all time. Can we quantify this please?

Gassho,
    Geoff

SatToday
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

Comment

• GregJanL
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Jishin
      Hi Greg,

You have a lot of energy.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
      Jishin,

Buddhism definitely helped with that. The observable reality of interdependence necessitating a different degree of compassion with 'beginners mind' keeps things fresh and vibrant to me even if I heard the same thing over and over. 'we are always beginners', 'beginners mind' for me starts with the reality of knowing that I don't know what I don't know nor do I know if I fully know what I think I know well'

But I still have to go about my business regardless. I think the mind-blowing 'who am I' is the result of a experience if expressed in words of the real recognition of the presumptuous self affirming validity of someone's thoughts being seen as circular self reinforcing logic.

This kind of experience I think can help close the gradients between the Dr House's and not so much.

Then again...beginners mind.

what am I?
      what is this?
      what?
      don't know.

sat today, can't hurt to sit more, never does.

Metta,
      Greg

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH P310A using Tapatalk
      “A fine line separates the weary recluse from the fearful hermit. Finer still is the line between hermit and bitter misanthrope.” - Dean Koontz

Comment

• Jishin
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by GregJanL
        sat today
        Hey you! You look familiar...

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Jeremy

But I still have to go about my business regardless. I think the mind-blowing 'who am I' is the result of a experience if expressed in words of the real recognition of the presumptuous self affirming validity of someone's thoughts being seen as circular self reinforcing logic.
          I like that!

In fact, I like a lot of your scepticism. I can confirm the existence of Colorado - not that my assertion is of any help to you. On the other hand, I can't confirm the existence in the past of 'the historical Buddha', whose thoughts and words are to be brought into 'intimate contact' with those who participate in the Integrated Dharma course referenced in the opening post.

Go easy... step lightly... stay free,
          Jeremy
          SatToday
          Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2015, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Thank you all, I believe the "Secular Buddhist" interview went well. It should be distributed in about 2 months, Ted said.

As a sneak peak on part of the discussion, I wrote this little essay describing my view ... here is a taste ...

There is not one “right” view of Buddhism suitable for all practitioners, and I will never claim my way as best for all. Different suffering beings may require medicines in varied mix and dosage (even placebos and the mere promise of hope at times). Certainly, throughout its history, Buddhism has flowered in countless ways, via the interpretations of countless individuals, as envisioned through their views and beliefs. That will always continue, and simply reflects the genius of the human mind to create endless artistic, philosophical, literary and religious expressions.

However, I wish to offer a new flavor of Buddhism which avoids both (1) what may be baseless myth, unfounded superstition, primitive magic and historical ignorance among traditional Buddhist practices, and (2) the opposite extreme of stripped down teachings and practices reduced to such a degree that the “baby Buddha” is thrown out with the bath water, whereby many worthwhile and challenging teachings and rituals are lost due to being wrongly limited or labeled as myth and magic. In fact, many ancient legends maintain great value and truth even if wholly or partly ahistorical fictions, many of our most potent and challenging teachings do not contradict or conflict whatsoever with modern and scientific understanding (in fact, many may be seen as supported by modern discoveries), and a long list of our most beautiful, ancient customs and practices have understandable value and meaning even in this day and age.

I believe that it is possible to maintain beliefs that, as best we can, are freed of superstition. I demand that there be some credible evidence and basis … beyond rumor, anecdote, hearsay and supposition … to rely on claims and suppositions about reality which purport to be true. More is demanded than simple blind faith in the assertions of ancient books or ancestors, even the alleged words of the Buddha himself (even assuming his actual words can be known).
            More some other time ...

Gassho, J
            Last edited by Jundo; 08-01-2015, 06:14 PM.
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jishin
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jeremy
              I can confirm the existence of Colorado
              Me too. I hold it in my hands this very moment!

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• GregJanL
                • Jul 2015

To anyone watching this thread,

I'm overall supportive of the 'flavor' thus far presented here. There has clearly been a good dialogue on Treeleaf that really sits well of a middle way of provable and unprovable in relation to Buddhism. I see the lack of extremes, the lack of 'if I didn't see it myself it doesn't exist or is doable' and the lack of 'some dude somewhere said something that kinda made sense and therefore magic is real because I saw something weird once'.

Treeleaf is a microcosm of extremely nuancal rational thought, ethics, and causality of peace that does translate into life if you accept the lack of linearity and also value it by knowing you won't make a proverbial pureland just because you are now a zennie wherever you go. 'Just Sit' is valuable advice for people that appreciate the personal and passive beneficial impact this has on them and hopefully their lives.

I can't turn off other peoples blenders but I can greatly slow down my own to maintain greater equanimity and find more creative solutions in places where there is nothing resembling a sangha even if they don't work any better!

I forget where but they say that a single meditator abiding in equanimity while others freak out, at the very least, is more likely to not exacerbate volatile situations and perhaps leave others noticing that freaking out may be a option, the second arrow might be a option.

From what I understand, where other traditions maintain similar output through elaborate dialogues that are equally as valid as 'just sit', The meditation schools simply go right for applied experience. Zen is no less profound and impactful then the beautiful explanations of what's what in Buddhist experience then the schools that explore technicals. That's my 'take' on gradual vs sudden enlightenment, most current and longest settled one at least.

Not a original thought process but who cares about originality if something has rung true.

May all beings abide in sorrowless bliss, free of attachment, bias, and anger.

Metta,
                Greg

“A fine line separates the weary recluse from the fearful hermit. Finer still is the line between hermit and bitter misanthrope.” - Dean Koontz

Comment

• Jishin
                  • Oct 2012

'Just Sit' is valuable advice for people that appreciate the personal and passive beneficial impact this has on them and hopefully their lives.
                  "Each moment of zazen is equally wholeness of practice, equally wholeness of realization. This is not only practice while sitting, it is like a hammer striking emptiness: before and after, its exquisite peal permeates everywhere. How can it be limited to this moment?" -

Dōgen

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• GregJanL
                    • Jul 2015

"Each moment of zazen is equally wholeness of practice, equally wholeness of realization. This is not only practice while sitting, it is like a hammer striking emptiness: before and after, its exquisite peal permeates everywhere. How can it be limited to this moment?" -

Dōgen

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
                    Jishin,

Thank you for your sitting with Dogen and the approximate paraphrasing. Never had a chance yet to work 'personally' with his actual words but your work wasn't 'limited to your moment in emptiness'.

Metta,
                    Greg

Comment

• Jishin
                      • Oct 2012

Hi Greg,

You have a point.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Getchi
                        • May 2015

Jundo, your second point is why ive settled here at treeleaf. Truth, to me, is a metaphr; thats what i learnt from working through point one. lokin forward to your podcast.

Greg, you must clear the ground before you lay a foundation. youre very clever and i enjoy your posts so far

Comment

• Getchi
                          • May 2015

Hey you! You look familiar...

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_
                          ha, i think im just old enough to understand this!

Comment

Working...