Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kokuu
    Treeleaf Priest
    • Nov 2012

Looking forward to this tomorrow. I will probably sit one way as four hours will doubtless necessitate some lying down.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    #sattoday

Comment

• Sekishi
      Treeleaf Priest
      • Apr 2013

I will post a printer-friendly version of Jundo's instructions shortly if anyone would like it.

Gassho,
      Sekishi
      #sattoday
      Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Comment

• KellyRok
        • Jul 2008

Hello all,

I won't be able to attend live. Going to bed early to be up early and off to a wrestling tournament.

I will post a printer-friendly version of Jundo's instructions shortly if anyone would like it.
        Thank you Sekishi, that would be lovely!

Gassho,
        Kelly/Jinmei
        sattoday

Comment

• Sekishi
          Treeleaf Priest
          • Apr 2013

Here is a simple B&W version with all of the Forum controls and such stripped out, the margins narrowed, the fonts reduced, the quoted sections boxed (for easier printing), etc.

I've set up a script for creating print friendly versions of threads on here so I can pop these out quickly from now on. It will automatically make the changes discussed above and I can tell it how many posts to include (so it will only be Jundo's instructions and not our various replies). If you have any suggestions for other changes it should make, please let me know via PM (e.g. "put the join date back under the avatar" or "display a big smiley face at the top of the page").

Gassho,
          Sekishi
          #sattoday

Comment

• Sekishi
            Treeleaf Priest
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Sekishi
            If you have any suggestions for other changes it should make, please let me know via PM (e.g. "put the join date back under the avatar" or "display a big smiley face at the top of the page").
            One thing I tested was just hiding username, title, and avatar entirely (which frees up quite a bit of space to the left). But then we couldn't tell who posted. But if it is for a printed out ceremony, maybe that does not matter. Opinions welcome (again, maybe via PM to not clutter this thread up).

Gassho,
            Sekishi
            #sattoday

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Thank you Sekishi,

I think we will keep a version for next year too.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Sekishi
                Here is a simple B&W version with all of the Forum controls and such stripped out, the margins narrowed, the fonts reduced, the quoted sections boxed (for easier printing), etc.
                Thank you Sekishi, very helpful. =)

Gassho
                Shingen

SatToday

Comment

• Sekishi
                  Treeleaf Priest
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Jundo
                  I think we will keep a version for next year too.
                  Of course feel free, but no need. The little system I set up today will let me make printer-friendly PDFs from "the first N posts" of any thread on Treeleaf. So I can easily make a new one if instructions change next year.

Gassho,
                  Sekishi
                  #sattoday

Comment

• Ishin
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Jundo
                    Lisa says it.

Ya know, in Buddhism, there is always someone who has given some mysterious interpretation to everything. For example, I bet you that some would say that the 3 Fingers showing represent "Buddha, Dharma, Sangha". Maybe the 2 fingers inside represent "Form" and "Emptiness". But that's just folks with too much time on their hands to think up all this "significance".

I believe it is just being respectful, putting us in a solemn mindset. Ya could hold em lick an old pair of socks of course.

Gassho, J
                    Thanks Jundo and Lisa,

The tradition part is of course easy to understand. I am just curious and trying to learn. Much of these traditions are all new to me so I want to have some idea of what I am doing not just going through the motions, but doing things with the proper intent. The 3 treasures idea did occur to me.

PS. I just want to say that my entire family participated with me in this ceremony, some willingly and some not yet all respectfully, but I think it a wonderful tradition and intend to do this with them every year.

Gassho
                    Ishin
                    Sat Today
                    Last edited by Ishin; 02-08-2015, 05:13 PM.
                    Grateful for your practice

Comment

• Ed
                      • Nov 2012

Jundo, Doshin has me going to jail (volunteere work), again. I got out of one some years back but this time is so close to my home I could not say no.
                      The new group has decided to be called Blue Mountain Sangha. They do have a mind of their own and demand service! They are well read and very Buddhist, but this Facility has never allowed a Buddhist group before. Doshin persited and I got hooked. Good.
                      So this coming Saturday we will have our first service and it will be the celebration of Shakiamuni Buddha's Paranirvana as per above suggestion. Mitch got us gong, bell and I think even a mokuyo. He is relentless. I don't know about the incense...yet.
                      I see a service full of mistakes and misdirections but ain't that the fun part, the Dharma being Dharma, a bunch of selves selving thenselves.
                      So please, treeleafers, metta for us Blue Mountain zennies; may all sangha relations become complete.
                      Saturday Feb 14 from 9:15 am.
                      Gassho!
                      Last edited by Ed; 02-10-2015, 05:53 PM.
                      "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
                      Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Comment

• Myosha
                        • Mar 2013

Hey Ed,

Sit today?

Gassho,
                        Another Ed
                        Myosha sat today
                        "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Jundo
                          • Apr 2006

I did a double take for a moment, wondering what Taigu and Co. at Blue Mountain were doing in jail ...

It will be fine, Myosha, and hopefully will bring some healing and peace into this world.

Gassho, J

Comment

• Ed
                            • Nov 2012

Day not over.
                            Although I do sit early AM.
                            Thanks!
                            "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
                            Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Comment

• Ed
                              • Nov 2012

Paranirvan service at Blue Mountain Sangha in the CI got lost on our first ever service. No cushions and no mats, no incese either and we had to keep our shoes on (this bothered me the most, I have to wonder why) we had a loaned mokuyo and gong but not bells. We do have a sangha. Things will be donated, no worries there.
                              I printed some colorful buddhas which the guys loved.
                              They were moved by the common recital of the Heart Sutra and an introduction to the Sandokai.
                              I did forget to mention Treeleaf but did say our group is part of a very large and active sangha of Soto Zen Buddhist and Buddhist in general which has interdependece of all beings at its very core and to never forget that.
                              Back next month on the second Saturday since we have been approved for a montlhy visit up from every other month.
                              Thank you for your practice!
                              Gassho.
                              Last edited by Ed; 02-17-2015, 06:03 PM.
                              Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Comment

• Jundo
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Ed
                                Paranirvan service at Blue Mountain Sangha in the CI got lost on our first ever service. No cushions and no mats, no incese either and we had to keep our shoes on (this bothered me the most, I have to wonder why) we had a loaned mokuyo and gong but not bells. We do have a sangha. Things will be donated, no worries there.
                                I printed some colorful buddhas which the guys loved.
                                They were moved by the common recital of the Heart Sutra and an introduction to the Sandokai.
                                I did forget to mention Treeleaf but did say our group is part of a very large and active sangha of Soto Zen Buddhist and Buddhist in general which has interdependece of all beings at its very core and to never forget that.
                                Back next month on the second Saturday since we have been approved for a montlhy visit up from every other month.
                                Thank you for your practice!
                                Gassho.
                                Hi Ed,

I am so glad that your ceremony at Blue Mountain, the prison program, went so well. You don't need all that stuff, and nothing was missing.

By the way, you should know that we have another Blue Mountain now ... might be a little confusing to folks.

Gassho, Jundo

SatToday

Comment

Working...