Clear All
  • Josan
    • Aug 2013

Beautiful Kyonin, Gassho, David
    If you miss the moment, you miss your life - John Daido Loori

Comment

• Daiyo
      • Jul 2014

Kyonin, yesterday I hadn't watched the video since tapatalk didn't show it.
      It watched it today and it sounds great.

May I use it next saturday with the buddhist scouts?

I have one good video, but this translation has many sanskrit terms.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HaX7KnB90E
      It is recited by Ven. Bhikshu Zhihan, a chinese monk.

What i like best of yours is that you only say "Prajna paramita" in sanskrit.

And finally, below is the translation from the Fo Guang Shan Temple used in Vesak celebration in Buenos Aires Chinatown:

"Mientras el Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara practicaba la profunda prajna paramita,
      Se iluminó y observó que todos los cinco skandhas son vacíos, superando así todo sufrimiento y desgracia.
      Oh Shariputra, la forma no difiere del vacío y el vacío no difiere dela forma; la forma es el vacío y el vacío es la forma.
      Lo mismo es verdad para las sensaciones, percepciones, voliciones y conciencia.
      Shariputra, las características de la vaciedad de todos los Dharmas son: no surgen ni cesan; no son corruptos ni puros; no crecen ni decrecen.
      Por lo tanto en el vacío no hay formas; no hay sensaciones, percepciones voliciones o conciencia; no existe ojo, oído, nariz, lengua, cuerpo o mente.
      No hay forma, sonido, olor, color, gusto, textura u objeto mental; no hay campo de visión, ni campo de la conciencia.
      No hay ignorancia ni fin de la ignorancia; no hay vejez ni muerte, ni tampoco fin de la vejez y la muerte.
      No existe verdad del sufrimiento, de la causa del sufrimiento, de la cesación del sufrimiento, ni del camino. No hay sabiduría ni hay logros, porque no hay nada que se deba obtener.
      El Bodhisattva que confía en la prajna paramita no encuentra obstrucción mental; al no tener obstrucción, no siente temor.
      Se libera de la imaginación confusa y alcanza el supremo nirvana.
      Los Budas del pasado, presente y futuro confiando en la prajna paramita, han alcanzado la iluminación suprema.
      Por lo tanto, la prajna paramita es un mantra mágico, un mantra de la iluminación, un mantra supremo, un mantra inigualable, que verdaderamente puede eliminar todo sufrimiento.
      Y así pronunció el mantra de prajna paramita diciendo:

GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA"

Last edited by Daiyo; 08-27-2014, 01:32 PM.
      Gassho,Walter

Comment

• Khalil Bodhi
        • Apr 2012

Great! Thank you Walter.
        To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
        -Dhp. 183
        My Practice Blog

Comment

• Jika
          • Jun 2014

Kyonin, this is great!

What about a sticky thread somewhere?

Maybe even with other translations?

I worked something out with Nindo about a German version, but if a Treeleaf-aproved translation exists, I would really like to read it.

Maybe a whole collection of languages for our Sangha?

Thanks everyone,
          Gassho,
          Danny
          治 Ji
          花 Ka

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Hi Kyonin,

My Spanish is a bit rusty, but might I ask about "la forma equivale al vacío"?

First, if "vacio" is something like "Void", such terms have gone out of favor in the Buddhist translation world for "Emptyness" for an overemphasis on being a "nothing there" void or vacuum. Emptyness is also an imperfect term, because "Emptyness is not empty" (nor full for that matter, yet both and everything between ). I sometimes use "the Dance of Wholeness" or such to try to express this (although not much better at expressing the ultimately inexpressible), but most of the time rely on "Emptyness"

Also, is "equaivale" something like the English "equivalent to", or equal to ... which may also miss some of the intimacy and singleness here. Form is no other than Emptiness ... form is precisely Emptiness.

Anyway, all words and word games. Such is the translator's life.

Gassho, J
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kyonin
              Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Jundo
              My Spanish is a bit rusty, but might I ask about "la forma equivale al vacío"?

First, if "vacio" is something like "Void", such terms have gone out of favor in the Buddhist translation world for "Emptyness" for an overemphasis on being a "nothing there" void or vacuum. Emptyness is also an imperfect term, because "Emptyness is not empty" (nor full for that matter, yet both and everything between ). I sometimes use "the Dance of Wholeness" or such to try to express this (although not much better at expressing the ultimately inexpressible), but most of the time rely on "Emptyness"

Also, is "equaivale" something like the English "equivalent to", or equal to ... which may also miss some of the intimacy and singleness here. Form is no other than Emptiness ... form is precisely Emptiness.
              Hi Jundo,

When translating English into Spanish one has to consider, among other things, extension. Spanish is longer than English and takes a lot more space in characters and in words. I understand what you mean, but I thought I also had to consider that the Heart Sutra was to be chanted. I didn't want it to be huge and I also wanted the translation to be as close as the one you use on zazenkai.

Vacío means lack of or nothing inside. We also have the word vacuidad, which is vacuum. I used vacío because it's close to the meaning we want and easy to chant. I think.

Same goes for translating no other than, which I understand it implies it's the same as. Looking for a word for this I came to use equivale a (is equal as), which is easy to chant since it's only 5 syllables.

In any case, I'm not a professional translator and this translation can be modified at any time.

Gassho,

Kyonin
              Hondō Kyōnin
              奔道 協忍

Comment

• Kyonin
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Nindo
                Awesome Kyonin! Sounds almost like Latin to me. Maybe someone can come up with a Latin version as well
                Why is mantra masculine, by the way? Doesn't mantra sagrada etc. sound better?
                Hi Nindo,

This is one of the common issues in Spanish for most of us and hard to understand. Even worse, it varies from country to country. I always try to speak and write as close as I can to what the Royal Academy or Spanish (Real Academia de la Lengua) says it's official.

So, how to know when to use la or el.

The official grammatical rule is:

We use el (male substantive) when the word is of Greek or foreign origin and ends with an -a. For example:

el sofá (the couch)

el pijama (the pijama)

el esquema (the scheme)

According to this, Sutra or Mantra are Sanskrit (foreign) and end with -a. Ergo, they are male substantives.

El Mantra

El Sutra

Oh man. I'm such a nerd. Hope I didn't bore you

Gassho,

Kyonin
                Hondō Kyōnin
                奔道 協忍

Comment

• Daiyo
                  • Jul 2014

"Me Gusta"
                  Gassho,Walter

Comment

• Khalil Bodhi
                    • Apr 2012

Kyonin,

I love this stuff too y me gusta que explicaste el dilema de la lengua pero olvidaste explicar porque la radio y la mano son femininas. Nerd power!
                    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
                    -Dhp. 183
                    My Practice Blog

Comment

• Nindo

Interesting Kyonin! I don't think there is such a rule in German for foreign words. For example for "email" I have heard both feminine and neutrum.

Comment

• Khalil Bodhi
                        • Apr 2012

I know it is exactly the same rule in Italian so it may be something that was directly derived from Latin.
                        -Dhp. 183
                        My Practice Blog

Comment

• Jishin
                          • Oct 2012

In Portuguese it would be "a" (feminine) mantra sagrada.

"O" (masculine) pijama.

"A" (feminine) cama.

"O" (masculine) sofa.

"A" (feminine) camisa.

"O" (masculine) esquema.

From the Romance languages, Spanish and Portuguese sound closest to my ears and the vocabulary is very similar. Italian sounds closest to Spanish to my ears and has similar vocabulary to Spanish and Portuguese. To my ears, French has a lot of nasal sounds like Portuguese but the vocabulary and grammar is the most different from the other Romance languages. It would be fun to compare translations of the heart sutra in the Romance languages. Thank you for the Spanish translations.

Gassho, Jishin
                          Last edited by Jishin; 08-29-2014, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• Kyonin
                            • Oct 2010

Hi Jishin!

Yes! Romance languages have a lot in common. I was lucky to have a fantastic Latin teacher back when I was in high school. I learned the very basics of Latin so I can understand a bit of Portuguese, Catalá and Italian.

During our last retreat, Daisan didn't speak English, only French, but I could understand some of what he said. I was surprised about the similarities.

Oh and I was also surprised how beautiful French is! I might end up learning a little

Gassho,

Kyonin
                            Hondō Kyōnin
                            奔道 協忍

Comment

• Geika
                              Treeleaf Unsui
                              • Jan 2010

I have been re-learning my high school French with Duolingo. Pretty cool app if anyone is interested.
                              求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                              I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jishin
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Amelia
                                I have been re-learning my high school French with Duolingo. Pretty cool app if anyone is interested.
                                Duolingo is great. It works on smart phones and on the internet. I am too lazy to work with it but I plan on having my 8 year old boy work with it in the near future. For now, part of his daily chores include working 20 minutes daily with the language software Rosetta Stone in spanish.

Gassho, Jishin

Comment

Working...