Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will
    • Jun 2007

So many post

Lets think about the new comers for a second. Now some of us have been sitting for a long time and have gained some insight through our practice, and there is less of a chance that any snarky comment will be taken personally. However, ego gets away from us sometimes. We might take what someone say very personally, of course coming back to our practice we can learn from it.

A Zendo from my perspective should be a place that nutures Zen practice. What is the best way for that to be done? I think for the past few hundred years the Japanese and Chinese have been doing a fairly good job.

Jundo is the teacher here and he is here to teach people about Zen practice as he sees fit. He has a lot of experience. I think that an outline of what this place is was definitely needed.

I found this forum as somewhat of a distraction from my actual practice. I would read what someone said and then go over it in my head. It was a big help to get away from the forum for a few days. There is no blame only practice.

Respect is essential. To respect every living thing. Not to let our ego get in the way of our happiness and the happiness of others. There is nothing false or fairy like in saying that I wish you all the happiness that life can bring. We must sympathize and be mindful. We shouldn't lose focus of our compassion. It is the duty of those who's practice is further along to handle a situation in a way that their practice has taught them.

In remembering that you are me and I am you. Your notions of doing harm to someone else vanishes. When someone has a cold it is not their cold. It is our cold.

I know for a fact that Jundo isn't fooling around. The bird out the window yesterday told me so.

Just think of the people who are new to Zen practice. Think of the people who are doing harm to themselves through being caught up in their stories. This place is for them too, and we should try to set an example and help whenever we can.

When I love you I love myself. So lets be mindful of that guy who keeps running our life and telling us what to do. :P

Gassho Will
    [size=85:z6oilzbt]
    To save all sentient beings, though beings are numberless.
    To penetrate reality, though reality is boundless.
    To transform all delusion, though delusions are immeasurable.
    To attain the enlightened way, a way non-attainable.
    [/size:z6oilzbt]

Comment

• Skye
      • Feb 2008

I love how these threads seem to come to a consensus fairly quickly and move on. That's such a rare thing in life, and for Internet forums in particular!

When I joined, one of the first topics I read was the DSI/BW/SG kerfuffle. I wasn't quite sure what to think, so I read it all carefully and decided it was, in the end, unimportant to my practice or decision to join.

Just keep in mind that as these discussions are all public, in a way with each post you are also representing the whole sangha.

Skye
      Even on one blade of grass / the cool breeze / lingers - Issa

Comment

• Martin
        • Jun 2007

Well, I've been away for a couple of weeks, and don't know what prompted all this, and probably don't need to know. But I like Jundo's two rules (sit zazen and be kind to one another) and one of the things that makes this sangha special for me is the presence of a teacher. It's what I was looking for. Sure, teachers can - and probably should - be doubted, respectfully (Nietzsche said "You are rewarding a teacher poorly if you always remain a pupil") but a teacher remains a teacher and respect should (and as far as I've seen, here, does) follow. There are plenty of online sanghas without a teacher, and I've been a member of one or two, but I'm happier here, with a teacher.

Gassho

Martin

Comment

• Justin
          • Jul 2007

Hello friends!

Long time no see. I've missed you all.

I've taken the time to catch up on the fractures that prompted this thread. All kinds of thoughts and ideas floating in the head after a big dustup like that.

But I'll just wave hello, shut up, and sit.

Good to be home. Here's to friendship and civility.

Gassho

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Now ancient history, and just a passing moment even then ... Nothing worth even recalling.

Isn't this an excellent example of how Karmic effects can continue to reappear for ages? I am going to let this thread sink to the bottom of the pool.

Gassho, Jundo
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tb
              • Jan 2008

Re:

Originally posted by Jun
              I would have thought that the expected behaviour Jundo is addressing would be obvious.

Jundo, I believe this should be a sticky or at least set out at the "entrance" somewhere.
              I second that, or third that...

May the force be with you.
              Tb
              Life is our temple and its all good practice
              Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Ankai
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Nov 2007

Re: IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM JUNDO

How about a sticky that simply says:
                "Everybody be nice."
                And we trust Jundo to define "nice" as the situation warrants?
                Gassho!
                護道 安海

-Godo Ankai

I'm still just starting to learn. I'm not a teacher. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I already take myself too seriously!

Comment

Working...