scandals

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mp

Originally posted by Yugen
    "There's nothing hardcore, cool, or rebellious, about Zen. It's a very old, traditional, and demanding practice..."

Why does it have to be one or the other? I would agree with both statements. Zen is a very old and demanding practice. It has migrated across continents through the hundreds and thousands of years.... Shikantaza is also very demanding..... indeed, it gets harder the more time you spend on the cushion..... as far as being rebellious goes, from a historical perspective Chinese emperors and rulers over the centuries alternatively co-opted, bought into, and attempted to eradicate Chan/Zen Buddhism because of its potential to challenge centralized authority. The same was true in Japan in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and I am sure more knowledgeable folks here than me will indicate this was the case much earlier as well.

Shikantaza can be very hardcore as well - it is not new age meditation - to be alone with a zafu and your own thoughts is tough stuff and requires enormous discipline. To sit and face a blank wall for day after day, year after year, when it is easier to watch TV, go shopping, or eat Twinkies is pretty hardcore in my mind.

From a cultural perspective in the United States, the notion of Zen as rebellious and cool is a cultural one - may have started with Gary Snyder and Alan Ginsberg and colleagues of their generation - thought of as counterculture and anti-establishment.... this is somewhat unfortunate as the more I read Snyder's work I like what he has to say. It is thoughtful and he is very close to our own lineage's emphasis on dissolving the boundaries between lay and clerical/monastic practice. He very much advocates practicing "out in the world." Just as Koans have been used to disrupt conventional thought processes there have been practitioners (aren't we all teachers?) who have thought to challenge the status quo by utilising techniques, commentary, and fora that are considered "in your face," "improper" or not conventional (Brad?). The maple tree outside my window is a marvelous teacher to me - it doesn't wear an Okesa - does that delegitimize it? In my mind this is the only way our practice is advanced, and prevents becoming arteriosclerotic. More power to Brad, as far as I am concerned. I may not always agree with what he says, but he challenges our thinking and practice. The truth is that Zen takes on the character of the cultures and society it migrates into - it changed when it migrated from China to Japan, and it is changing as develops in the United States and Europe - it takes on the flavors of the things it is mixed with. We depend on experienced teachers and "good friends" in practice to help us stay on track and determine whether or not our practice is authentic and consistent with the teachings....both from the past and present. I have to be careful with the word tradition because that can become a euphemism for rejecting change or evolution. There are many varieties of Zen practice, and the US is not without those who differ significantly as to what constitutes Zen practice. I find the intramural squabbling in the Zen community - picking and choosing - to be foolish and a waste of time. Sit, live and love. Practice with a sangha. Follow your heart. The rest is beyond our control.

Deep bows,
    Yugen
    This was a wonderful post Yugen, thank you, I enjoyed that very much.

Gassho
    Michael

Comment

• Taigu
      Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
      • Aug 2008

Yes Yugen, it is very well expressed and pretty close to what I deeply feel.
      Originally, we see the universe as a kesa. And we practice sewing one too.
      There is room for siiting with or without a kesa, even wihout one, the okesa of space is wrapping peoples body.

Our tradition is simple.

There is room for punk Zen and room for okesa Zen.

Gassho

Taigu

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
        Friend of Treeleaf
        • May 2010

Yes. A great post Yugen. Thank you.

Taigu, is Zen Zen without the Okesa? And I don't mean here the deeper meaning of this reality which is stitched together.

Gassho,
        Myozan

Comment

• Daitetsu
          • Oct 2012

Hi Jundo,

Originally posted by Jundo
          Of course, I usually bow down to Buddha Statues endless times more than I burn them. However, sometimes it is fine to burn them, and one should never be attached. A Buddha Statue is also a piece of wood, nothing special. However, a Buddha Statue is also a reMINDer and symbol and embodiment of these Teachings. So, while not attached, I bow down and do embrace fully and honor the meaning in my heart. So it is with wearing Robes.
          I totally agree with you.
          Actually, it depends on how we approach it - a Buddha statue can be both something holy and something ordinary. The same holds true for my vacuum cleaner or any dust particle it removes.
          While these don't have a commonly accepted religious meaning I can give them the meaning when I approach them in a certain manner.

It is like TNH's Gatha I use when I wash the dishes:
          Washing the dishes
          is like bathing a baby Buddha.
          The profane is the sacred.
          Everyday mind is Buddha's mind.

Gassho,

Timo
          no thing needs to be added

Comment

• ZenHarmony
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Yugen
            ...The maple tree outside my window is a marvelous teacher to me - it doesn't wear an Okesa - does that delegitimize it? ... We depend on experienced teachers and "good friends" in practice to help us stay on track and determine whether or not our practice is authentic and consistent with the teachings....both from the past and present. ... I find the intramural squabbling in the Zen community - picking and choosing - to be foolish and a waste of time. Sit, live and love. Practice with a sangha. Follow your heart. The rest is beyond our control.
            Exactly.

Lisa

Comment

• RichardH
              • Nov 2011

First ordained sangha is ordained sangha,
              then ordained sangha is not ordained sangha
              then ordained sangha is ordained sangha,

When ordained sangha is not ordained sangha, it is so for all, it is not selective...as in mountains but not rivers. It is mountains and rivers. It is all burned up in the kalpa fire (or however it is said). The "Absolute" can only be invoked from a hidden position, a hidden partiality. It is the propaganda of uncooked practice. So I can only pass on that, and just keep chewing grass. While Bowing to ordained sangha.

impatient, runny nosed, Gassho, kojip
              Last edited by RichardH; 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Matt
                • Oct 2012

When reading all of the back and forth going on over the scandals - and here I'm referring primarily to Sweeping Zen and not this particular discussion thread - I've felt a lack of what I would call 'loving-kindness' in the correspondence. Yes, I know that zen folk are still human. Their feelings can be hurt. They can react defensively.

But the tone of much of that discussion has bothered me. I would hope that, even when we disagree with others, that we would try and understand where the other person is coming from and respond in a compassionate manner, even when we disagree about such serious issues. I would hope that this would be especially true for those who are zen leaders.

I am encouraged by Jundo's words: ''And folks newer to Zen should not be discouraged by such things. For every Teacher out there with a shadow, there are dozens and dozens of Zen teachers I know who are gentle, caring, dedicated, sincere men or women who would not hurt a fly. A few bad apples (or good apples with blemish here or there) do not ruin the whole orchard."

Gassho,
                Matt

Comment

• Ed
                  • Nov 2012

I met Sasaki Roshi in 1980, I think. It was a three day sesshin and my first time ever sitting formally and doing dokusan. He gave me a koan I still keep with me and think it often. It was training koan, nothing heavy. He was such an imposing presence sitting there. Never forgot that either.

At the end of the last day sitting I was asked to drive him and his wife to visit a student of his in South Miami, not far. The student had build a tea house in the garden and wanted Roshi to service a tea ceremony. It was Roshi, his student and his wife and little old me there in that simple and powerful little bamboo and palm hut.

I treasure the memory and can be there at will, even these many years since. His wife did the ceremony. Her grace lifting the bamboo ladle and placing it just so and handling the tea spoon and green tea powder.....the hot water from the fire pit......the turning of the cup this way and then the opposite direction. Roshi in zazen, immutable. The student, a large martial arts type immovable. Me taking it all in, present.

Never saw Roshi again but he is still with me in that hut. That I keep, the rest I let go. Yet...

Last edited by Ed; 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM.
                  "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
                  Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Comment

• Rich
                    • Apr 2009

The following, published yesterday, is long but required reading for any serious Zen person.

Gassho, Jundo[/I]
                    Very credible and compelling narrative. Wouldn't be surprised if his dharma heir is announced and he is retired to the farm.
                    _/_
                    Rich
                    MUHYO
                    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Jundo
                      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by LimoLama
                      Hi Jundo,

I totally agree with you.
                      Actually, it depends on how we approach it - a Buddha statue can be both something holy and something ordinary. The same holds true for my vacuum cleaner or any dust particle it removes.
                      While these don't have a commonly accepted religious meaning I can give them the meaning when I approach them in a certain manner.

It is like TNH's Gatha I use when I wash the dishes:
                      Washing the dishes
                      is like bathing a baby Buddha.
                      The profane is the sacred.
                      Everyday mind is Buddha's mind.

Gassho,

Timo
                      Timo, I put this into Practice today for our Zazenkai, if you look about 2 minutes from the start.

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Daitetsu
                        • Oct 2012

Hi Jundo,

Timo, I put this into Practice today for our Zazenkai, if you look about 2 minutes from the start.
                        That was awesome (also wrote an answer at the Zazenkai thread), I was there "live"...
                        I couldn't believe it - I love unconventional methods!
                        I'm just glad you didn't burn anything...

I guess we must be very careful what we say here - who knows what else you'll put into practice?

Gassho,

Timo
                        no thing needs to be added

Comment

Working...