• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Khalil Bodhi
    • Apr 2012

Re: Kinda weird question about Right Speech

Originally posted by Kojip
    Originally posted by Khalil Bodhi
    I feel that the beauty of the precepts is bending our lives to fit them rather than the other way around. There's freedom of desires and then there's freedom from desires which is the path that the Buddhas and the enlightened masters have taught.
    I cannot know why someone might keep or break a precept, and am in no position to judge. People do their best. It is presumptuous to see that in terms of bending precepts to fit lives... presumptuous is putting it lightly in fact.
    Kojip,

My apologies if I have offended you or anyone else here as that was never my intention. I must admit that I find your assertion that I am judging anyone strange because I was simply starting my own personal (if unpopular) position. May you be well!

Mike
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Comment

• RichardH
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Kojip
      I feel that the beauty of the precepts is bending our lives to fit them rather than the other way around. There's freedom of desires and then there's freedom from desires which is the path that the Buddhas and the enlightened masters have taught.
      I cannot know why someone might keep or break a precept, and am in no position to judge. People do their best. It is presumptuous to see that in terms of bending precepts to fit lives... presumptuous is putting it lightly in fact.
      Kojip,

My apologies if I have offended you or anyone else here as that was never my intention. I must admit that I find your assertion that I am judging anyone strange because I was simply starting my own personal (if unpopular) position. May you be well!

Mike
      I said I can't judge. What is presumptuous is to say that breaking a precept is only about bending it to suit self-centered desire. That is not my experience.

Gassho, kojip

Comment

• Shokai
        Treeleaf Priest
        • Mar 2009

What's this about Santa Claus !!! :shock: :shock:
        合掌,生開
        gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Khalil Bodhi
          • Apr 2012

I'm so sorry you had to find out this way on the internet...let me know if you want to talk about it via PM :P
          To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
          -Dhp. 183
          My Practice Blog

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Hi KB,

This is actually an important historical point. Theravadan Buddhism (which, by the way, folks sometimes think of as the "older" or "original" Buddhism, but which is more of a parallel path also developing in its own ways and flavor over the centuries) has tended to emphasize "freedom from desires" by being rid of, extinguishing or forsaking many passions, drives and desires.

Mahayana Buddhism, with its vision of "emptiness as precisely form, nirvana dancing right as samsara" has tended to see that "freedom from desire" can occur right in and as a world of desires. Of course, Mahayanists tend to believe in moderating desires, holding them lightly and without clutching attachment, and abandoning excess or negative and harmful desires such as for violence, misuse of sexuality in a hurtful way, greed for excess materialistic things, and the like. However, that being said, one can find non-attachment and "total, complete freedom from all desire" right in the heart of/in/as/though-and-through moderate, healthy, ordinary human desires themselves. Having some ordinary and healthy, balanced human "desire" and ALSO "complete lack of desire" are -not- an "either/or" contradiction, but can be both at once, as one ... shining through.

The Lotus Blossoms In The Mud, this muddy world is nourishment and life for the Lotus.

Sometimes, when it comes to excess or harmful things, we definitely bend our life to the Precepts, and the Precepts stand as firm and fixed sentinels of Right Conduct. At other times, amid the vagaries of life, the Precepts show great space. Someone once compared them to a fence around a cow field, keeping the cows from going too far astray so that they do not wander onto a busy highway or off a cliff, yet allowing the cows all spacious freedom of movement and choice within.

Gassho, J
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Khalil Bodhi
              • Apr 2012

Rev. Jundo et al,

Thank you for the great posts. Although I can't say that I will necessarily see my practice in the same terms I hope you guys can accept a stodgy Theravadin into the fold. Metta.

Gassho,

Mike
              -Dhp. 183
              My Practice Blog

Comment

• Jundo
                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                • Apr 2006

Rev. Jundo et al,

Thank you for the great posts. Although I can't say that I will necessarily see my practice in the same terms I hope you guys can accept a stodgy Theravadin into the fold. Metta.

Gassho,

Mike
                Let me add that not all Mahayana folks see or undertake the Precepts in the same way either. The life of celibate monks and "at home" folks is not the same. Dogen, for example, ran a pretty tight ship for his monks in a monastic setting. A bit "eye of the beholder" and " different degrees for different folks and situations".?

Gassho, Jundo
                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• RichardH
                  • Nov 2011

For what it is worth.. my experience with keeping the precepts developed within a lay Theravadin sangha, and was not considered out of line or radical by either the laity or the ordained sangha. It was the Forest Sangha tradition... longtime practitioners... good old friends. Solid Buddhists. Theravada is not a monolith either...

Gassho, kojip.

Comment

• Jinyo
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Shokai
                    What's this about Santa Claus !!! :shock: :shock:
                    ... and the tooth fairy

(I can still remember the excitement of finding a coin under my pillow when I was a kid )

Willow

Comment

• Graceleejenkins
                      • Feb 2011

I’ve been thinking about this. Do I feel my parents lied to me about Santa Claus? Santa Claus is one of my most cherished memories from childhood, and it gave me pleasure to grow into being a Secret Santa myself. I don’t feel like my parents lied to me.

I think they” played along” having all intention that I would know and understand the literal truth in the not too distant future. I think they gave me something special along the lines of “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.”

I believe the definition of “lie” can be taken too literally in the case of Santa Claus, as if we are missing the connotation of the word “lie” and staying strictly with the denotation. I think “play along” is the better definition in the case of Santa Claus. Gassho, Grace
                      Sat today and 10 more in honor of Treeleaf's 10th Anniversary!

Comment

• Geika
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jan 2010

I will probably continue the Santa tradition if I have a family. I've considered that I might be open about the fact that it would be me doing the presents though, once children get old enough to start asking questions. My boyfriend's family is like that. They get presents from Santa, though everyone knows who Santa really is.

Personally, when I found out that Santa wasn't real, I didn't have any bad reaction to it. It made sense and I didn't feel that my mom was lying to me. I knew why she did it: it was just a fun tradition from her own childhood.

I agree with you, Grace.
                        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Seisou
                          • May 2012

Always good to remember: "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own experience and common sense." -The Buddha
                          Gassho
                          Jeff
                          Seisou - Noble/Vital Grass (or just Jeff)

Comment

• Khalil Bodhi
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by wellfed
                            Always good to remember: "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own experience and common sense." -The Buddha
                            Gassho
                            Jeff
                            HI Jeff,

This is actually a pretty poor translation/interpretation of the Kalama Sutta. If you're interested in a getting a more in-depth understanding read here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/a...-essay_09.html

Gassho,

Mike
                            -Dhp. 183
                            My Practice Blog

Comment

• Ekai
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Jundo

On the other hand, telling my wife that her dress makes her look 10 years younger ... well, only a little bad Karma perhaps, and much good Karma in my house! 8)

Gassho, Jundo
                              :lol:

Gassho,
                              Ekai

Comment

• Ekai
                                • Feb 2011

I cherish my childhood memories of believing in Santa Claus and it created a beautiful and magical Christmas in our home. I am grateful for my parents giving me the gift of Santa Claus because their intention was based on love and generosity. They just wanted to me make happy during the holiday season and it worked.

Gassho,
                                Ekai

Comment

Working...