Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinoybuddhist
    • Jun 2010

Re: Do Buddhists proselytize?

Ah! Finally we're getting somewhere. Well mr. Lou, I agree with your post somewhat. This is after all the method I use to my toddler. No point in verbalizing the Dharma to him, although he is now able to recognize and do gassho before a Buddha image. I also proselytize in a similar manner to my wife - she knows I chant and sit zazen every morning after all.

That being said, I also get somewhat where Chet is coming from. And I just want to add one thing: when you say "conspicuously Buddhist", what does that look like? :shock: Apart from shaved heads and outfits and rituals, does it look any different from conspicuously Christian/Jew/Muslim/atheist/Wiccan/etc.? If you say it looks like being compassionate, loving, and wise - then it would look no different from any other path.

Comment

• Ryumon
      • Apr 2007

What's the saying, "it's better to be a Buddha than a Buddhist..."

In other words, your actions are more important than your words.
      I know nothing.

Comment

• pinoybuddhist
        • Jun 2010

Let's not make this into an either-or thing: there is Right Action and there is Right Speech in the path, after all. Sometimes Right Speech is speechless; other times brief; and still other times long-winded. What's the right way to proselytize? It depends. Sometimes words, sometimes actions, sometimes both.

Thank you for starting this topic mr. Lou.

_/|_
        Rafael

Comment

Working...