• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shujin
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Feb 2010

Genzo-e Retreat @ Sanshinji - May 2012

Hey y'all,
    I'm going to head up to Sanshinji in Bloomington, IN for one of their Genzo-e retreats. The dates are May 2-7. I've spoken with Ron(rculver), and he's on board to attend as well. We're extending the invitation to anyone who would like to join us. Here's some background information:

Genzo-e Retreats are one of the unique offerings of Sanshin Zen Community. This retreat focuses on the study of the Shobogenzo (True Dharma Eye Treasury), the major work of the founder of Soto Zen, Dogen Zenji. Although the Shobogenzo is considered to be one of the most important Buddhist texts in Japan and has been translated into English several times, it is very difficult to understand without studying the text in its original language. The Genzo-e retreat is therefore a rare opportunity for in-depth study of Dogen with a teacher who has studied the Shobogenzo extensively and practiced with its insights for many years. Two 90-minute lectures are offered each day with some discussion. Breaks are offered to allow discussion and study of the teachings. Registration 2 weeks before the start of the retreat (postmarked) is $225, after 2 weeks is $258.
    The schedule for the retreat is posted here: http://www.sanshinji.org/genzo-e/ It's not as intense as the sesshin schedule, but it does involve 50 minute periods of zazen.

I don't have any involvement with Sanshinji, nor am I promoting their retreat over any other. I'm attending because I would like to study with Okamura sensei. Realizing Genjokoan was, for me, an outstanding work of scholarship & understanding.

So there it is! Hope some of you can join us, although I understand it's a commitment and challenge to family life & work.

gassho,
    Shujin
    Kyōdō Shujin 教道 守仁
  • Myozan Kodo
    Friend of Treeleaf
    • May 2010

Re: Genzo-e Retreat @ Sanshinji - May 2012

Hi Shujin,
    That's really exciting. I admire the Roshi's writings too. I wish you guys well. Only wish I could go along as well!
    Gassho
    Myozan

Comment

• Marek
      • Jan 2012

Hello Shujin!

This looks great. I hope you and Ron will let us know how it was soon after retreat.

Oh, and I like this:
      Meals during retreat are no longer taken oryoki style. We now serve meal buffet style[/

In some way it made a smile on my face (in the good way of course).
      Gassho,
      Marek

Comment

• Yugen

Shujin,
        What a great opportunity! Realizing Genjokoan is an amazing work.... I just finished reading it. Having the chance to hear/interact with Okamura sensei would be exciting.... I do not think I can make it, but I am really looking forward to your impressions. You and Ron will have a wonderful experience I am sure....

Okamura also has a book coming out this spring on some of the chants that are central to Soto Zen practice.... looking forward to that too....

Gassho,
        Yugen

Comment

• graeme
          • Mar 2011

Wow, if I could attend this I would, I hope it goes well

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Wonderful!

Gassho, Jundo
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Taigu
              Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
              • Aug 2008

So happy for you, you are going to meet an extraordinary teacher and a wonderful man too.

gassho

Taigu

Comment

• Hans
                • Mar 2007

Hello,

this sounds wonderful. Have a great time!

All the best and gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Comment

• Rimon
                  • May 2010

It really sounds terrific, guys. Have lots of fun and learn and unlearn a lot. Any plan to put some material online?

Rimon
                  Rimon Barcelona, Spain
                  "Practice and the goal of practice are identical." [i:auj57aui]John Daido Loori[/i:auj57aui]

Comment

• Kaishin
                    • Dec 2010

Dude... let me look into this. At first I thought no way, that's way too much to ask of family to be gone that long, then I saw:

Participants may chose to attend the entire retreat or any part it. You may, for example, attend one or two full days, or you may chose to attend certain portions of all five days.
                    Nice! Let me discuss with "the fam" and I'll be in touch. I've always wanted to do a retreat there, but the intense Antaiji-style sittings scared me off. This lighter sitting schedule would be much more amenable. I've read his Genjokoan book and listened to previous teachings of his on it by podcast--he really is quite insightful.

Stay tuned...
                    Thanks,
                    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
                    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Shugen
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Shujin
                      Hey y'all,
                      I'm going to head up to Sanshinji in Bloomington, IN for one of their Genzo-e retreats. The dates are May 2-7. I've spoken with Ron(rculver), and he's on board to attend as well. We're extending the invitation to anyone who would like to join us. Here's some background information:

Genzo-e Retreats are one of the unique offerings of Sanshin Zen Community. This retreat focuses on the study of the Shobogenzo (True Dharma Eye Treasury), the major work of the founder of Soto Zen, Dogen Zenji. Although the Shobogenzo is considered to be one of the most important Buddhist texts in Japan and has been translated into English several times, it is very difficult to understand without studying the text in its original language. The Genzo-e retreat is therefore a rare opportunity for in-depth study of Dogen with a teacher who has studied the Shobogenzo extensively and practiced with its insights for many years. Two 90-minute lectures are offered each day with some discussion. Breaks are offered to allow discussion and study of the teachings. Registration 2 weeks before the start of the retreat (postmarked) is $225, after 2 weeks is $258.
                      The schedule for the retreat is posted here: http://www.sanshinji.org/genzo-e/ It's not as intense as the sesshin schedule, but it does involve 50 minute periods of zazen.

I don't have any involvement with Sanshinji, nor am I promoting their retreat over any other. I'm attending because I would like to study with Okamura sensei. Realizing Genjokoan was, for me, an outstanding work of scholarship & understanding.

So there it is! Hope some of you can join us, although I understand it's a commitment and challenge to family life & work.

gassho,
                      Shujin
                      What Shujin said.

Ron
                      Meido Shugen
                      明道 修眼

Comment

• Shugen
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Nov 2007

Genzo-e Retreat @ Sanshinji - May 2012

We're off tomorrow! I don't know if we will be able to post anything while we are there. I'll try and keep good mental notes! ;-)

Ron

Shugen
                        Meido Shugen
                        明道 修眼

Comment

• Jiken
                          • Jan 2011

Make sure you guys post on how your retreat went. Your sangha is sitting with you.

Daido

Comment

• Dokan
                            Friend of Treeleaf
                            • Dec 2010

Awesome...please let us know how it goes. Always keeping an eye open for good places to practice.

Gassho,

Dokan
                            We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
                            ~Anaïs Nin

Comment

• Dosho
                              • Jun 2008

Hey guys,

Daido speaks my mind as well.

Safe travels.

Gassho,
                              Dosho

Comment

Working...