X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tb
    • Jan 2008

Re: Socially Engaged Buddhism

Originally posted by AtomicSpud
    Perhaps we could set up another thread, or a group-chat, or a special edition of the Tea Party (if our Rev. Fugen would be so inclined) to discuss this?
    Hi.

First, thanks for calling me revered, but im noone special really... :roll:

Secondly, sure, we can do that, as the teaparty is open for everyone and everything to be discussed.
    You are free to submit any questions you want me (or Shohei) to bring up or bring them up yourself.

Third, in the end, no matter how big project we get rolling, its what you do that matters.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Saijun
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Stephanie
      So we're interested in "social engagement" but not if it involves, um, socially engaging with members of the Treeleaf community?

If we can't support, connect to, or work with members of our own community, what good are we going to do anyone else?

I'll be patiently waiting for that moment when Treeleafers come together to work on a shared project...
      Hello Stephanie,

May I ask where in the above you got the impression that we're discounting working with each other on this project? If it is the "public sitting" option, do you not think that even something small, if it engages any number of us in a common project, is a good start?

I believe that in the last posts by Fugen, Chris, and myself, we are all offering to work together in order to put into place the conditions for a project to succeed in the long-run.

Metta,

Perry
      To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Comment

• Stephanie

Well, upon re-reading, I seem to have gotten the wrong impression: I thought people were discussing doing individual projects but it seems it was more about doing small group projects. I would still like to see a sangha-wide project, but small projects are good too.

Comment

• JohnsonCM
          • Jan 2010

Well, upon re-reading, I seem to have gotten the wrong impression: I thought people were discussing doing individual projects but it seems it was more about doing small group projects. I would still like to see a sangha-wide project, but small projects are good too.
          Well, if the public sitting option is what we go with, we could still all come together on it, even if we don't all sit publicly. We could all weigh in on what cause we could choose, how best to support it, the creation, editing, research of materials and groups or organizations that people could contribute to or volunteer with. We can all interact on how best to represent Treeleaf while doing this. It could be supported by the entire sangha, even if only a few of us decide to sit publicly.
          Gassho,
          "Heitetsu"
          Christopher
          Sat today

Comment

• Stephanie

Honestly, I'm not into public sittings. I don't think they accomplish anything. Protest about "big ticket causes" doesn't seem to do much these days, at least not for the causes. It seems to be more about stoking the self-righteousness of the protesters. Making other people feel guilty, to the extent they don't automatically feel indifferent about causes that seem so far removed from their lives. I'm more interested in direct action that effects immediate change.

Comment

• Saijun
              • Jul 2010

Honestly, I'm not into public sittings. I don't think they accomplish anything. Protest about "big ticket causes" doesn't seem to do much these days, at least not for the causes. It seems to be more about stoking the self-righteousness of the protesters. Making other people feel guilty, to the extent they don't automatically feel indifferent about causes that seem so far removed from their lives. I'm more interested in direct action that effects immediate change.
              I would agree, Stephanie, about the "big ticket causes" referenced above. I would much rather work to strengthen the local network of food pantries and maybe help a group create a full-fledged homeless shelter. However, if this is going to be a Sangha-wide project, it needs to be big enough, ultimately, for all of us to be able to contribute from where we are.

Also, I can think of very few ways to "get the message out," as it were, that do not seem like either selling something or proselytizing to the public. Plus it would, in order to satisfy the requirement of "engaging with members of our own Sangha," need to be something that we could all participate in. Sitting seems to me to be the best option. Visible and available, but not flashy, pushy, or preachy.

I honestly can't think of a better option than this. It seems like it would be relatively easy to set up, the costs would be very low, and it would be open to whomever wished to participate. However, I'm completely open to any other suggestions. Indeed, it seems that there are only a few people talking on this thread--maybe the wider Sangha could post ideas for either a first project, or a first cause?

Metta,

Perry

Comment

• Stephanie

I agree with your general principles, Perry, about how to make this project workable.

I still contend that a great direction to go with this project would be to utilize the Internet. The truth is that very few of us live in close proximity with other Treeleafers. I think a project that utilized our Internet base as a strength and resource rather than an obstacle would be excellent. The "Web of Interconnection" project was just one idea of how to do this, but there are others.

Just as people have experienced on Treeleaf that an Internet based sangha can be a true support to practice and create a true experience of sangha, I think people can experience that the Internet can be used as a tool for positive change. And not just in the sense of making donations on charity websites or bringing attention to issues. I suspect most of us who have found our way here have been helped in one way or another through our use of the Internet. It has helped me connect to people, learn about my area, fend off loneliness, and access resources.

So my first idea was using the Internet as a way to reach out to socially isolated individuals and serve them in some way. I still think this idea is in keeping with the spirit of Treeleaf. But maybe it could benefit from a more tangible goal. Many people have expressed an interest in issues of hunger and homelessness. I think the Internet could be used well to address these issues. To help locate housing options or support resources for individuals who are homeless. To aid in location of areas where people are affected by hunger and to facilitate food delivery to them.

And what about the fact we have many members who are bilingual or multilingual? So many people struggle with the challenges presented by trying to communicate with others who literally don't speak their language. What a service that would be, to help foster communication between people who are divided by language.

These are all just ideas. I personally would love to see a project that met a few criteria: (1) a sangha-wide project that facilitates deeper interaction and bonding among sangha members; (2) a project that utilizes the Internet; and (3) a 'hands-on' project that effects immediate results and fosters direct interaction with those whom we seek to serve.

Those are my thoughts.

Comment

• Saijun
                  • Jul 2010

I agree with your general principles, Perry, about how to make this project workable.

I still contend that a great direction to go with this project would be to utilize the Internet. The truth is that very few of us live in close proximity with other Treeleafers. I think a project that utilized our Internet base as a strength and resource rather than an obstacle would be excellent. The "Web of Interconnection" project was just one idea of how to do this, but there are others.

Just as people have experienced on Treeleaf that an Internet based sangha can be a true support to practice and create a true experience of sangha, I think people can experience that the Internet can be used as a tool for positive change. And not just in the sense of making donations on charity websites or bringing attention to issues. I suspect most of us who have found our way here have been helped in one way or another through our use of the Internet. It has helped me connect to people, learn about my area, fend off loneliness, and access resources.

So my first idea was using the Internet as a way to reach out to socially isolated individuals and serve them in some way. I still think this idea is in keeping with the spirit of Treeleaf. But maybe it could benefit from a more tangible goal. Many people have expressed an interest in issues of hunger and homelessness. I think the Internet could be used well to address these issues. To help locate housing options or support resources for individuals who are homeless. To aid in location of areas where people are affected by hunger and to facilitate food delivery to them.

These are all just ideas. I personally would love to see a project that met a few criteria: (1) a sangha-wide project that facilitates deeper interaction and bonding among sangha members; (2) a project that utilizes the Internet; and (3) a 'hands-on' project that effects immediate results and fosters direct interaction with those whom we seek to serve.

Those are my thoughts.
                  Hm...what *if*:

1.) There was a separate section of this site (or an entirely new site) set up as a sort of virtual resource-center, to be continually updated, on our cause. This could include things such as:
                  - Who we are
                  - What we're doing
                  - How to help
                  - Resources for setting up a similar project in another location

2.) We print fliers/business cards and distribute them to employment agencies, unemployment offices, food pantries, and homeless centers with contact information for the local...let's call them "agents." (NOTE: I'm not suggesting giving out a personal phone number, per-se. When I was instructing on Anapanasati, I had a pre-paid "bat-phone" who's number I would give out as a contact for that purpose)

3.) We network with other similar local groups to find options that may be hitherto unknown to our..."clients?" (maybe?)

4.) Most importantly: We meet with said clients on a regular basis, and provide ongoing support and information in order to help them out of the difficulties they find themselves in.

Just a musing. I think that this would meet all of the necessary criteria. However, I would still like to leave the 'sitting' option open to those who are so inclined.

What do you all thinK?

Comment

• Stephanie

I like your ideas. Networking with other established groups is always a good thing.

There's no reason there can only be one project. The sitting project may be meaningful and appealing to some, and perhaps I am too cynical about it.

One of my "pet causes" is alternatives to incarceration, and I have worked professionally in this capacity. I know many inmates have found Buddhism helpful while incarcerated. And many have some, or limited, Internet access. That could be another project, setting up a forum for incarcerated Buddhists to seek knowledge and feedback.

I like the idea of having a particular area of the site where people post ideas. I think perhaps you are right that getting several small projects started would be more likely to get the ball rolling than one huge project that may not appeal to all.

Comment

• Saijun
                      • Jul 2010

I like your ideas. Networking with other established groups is always a good thing.

There's no reason there can only be one project. The sitting project may be meaningful and appealing to some, and perhaps I am too cynical about it.

One of my "pet causes" is alternatives to incarceration, and I have worked professionally in this capacity. I know many inmates have found Buddhism helpful while incarcerated. And many have some, or limited, Internet access. That could be another project, setting up a forum for incarcerated Buddhists to seek knowledge and feedback.

I like the idea of having a particular area of the site where people post ideas. I think perhaps you are right that getting several small projects started would be more likely to get the ball rolling than one huge project that may not appeal to all.
                      ...which brings us back to the question of funding. Someone pays for this site, and I think it unfair to saddle him/her/them with an additional cost. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to make this self-sufficient? I'm willing to donate what I've got, but I doubt that would cover the expenses.

Metta,

Perry

Comment

• JohnsonCM
                        • Jan 2010

Well, we can always go back to the Treeleaf beanie idea. Maybe something like a black beanie with the broken pine needle on the front in green and on the back "Treeleaf.org" in white stiching? Maybe have a bowl when sitting?
                        Gassho,
                        "Heitetsu"
                        Christopher
                        Sat today

Comment

• Saijun
                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by JohnsonCM
                          Well, we can always go back to the Treeleaf beanie idea. Maybe something like a black beanie with the broken pine needle on the front in green and on the back "Treeleaf.org" in white stiching? Maybe have a bowl when sitting?
                          Hello Chris,

I could get everything set up re: clothing, but I'm going to wait until our esteemed teachers weigh in first. I must admit that I'm still a little uneasy with merchandise, but I'm sure we could make it work. I have family in the digital-printing business, or we could go the cafe-press route.

In any case, I would say that we have a group to oversee any monies gained in this project, instead of just one individual. Being a banker, I've seen too many sad situations to be completely comfortable with one individual having sole-control of the funds. Maybe a weekly/monthly report with detailed records for income and expenses?

Metta,

Perry

Comment

• JohnsonCM
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by AtomicSpud
                            Originally posted by JohnsonCM
                            Hello Chris,

I could get everything set up re: clothing, but I'm going to wait until our esteemed teachers weigh in first. I must admit that I'm still a little uneasy with merchandise, but I'm sure we could make it work. I have family in the digital-printing business, or we could go the cafe-press route.

In any case, I would say that we have a group to oversee any monies gained in this project, instead of just one individual. Being a banker, I've seen too many sad situations to be completely comfortable with one individual having sole-control of the funds. Maybe a weekly/monthly report with detailed records for income and expenses?

Metta,

Perry
                            That would be awesome. I completely agree with the unease. I don't want to start something that gets us off the track of what we wanted to start this for, giving real help to real people who really need it. I would be more then happy to work with you on this, I have also been in the financial field for some time and am currently the internal auditor for a credit union, so we should be able to put something like that together, if that's where this thing goes.

Of course, I too await our teachers and their say. Wisdom before beauty after all...... :lol:
                            Gassho,
                            "Heitetsu"
                            Christopher
                            Sat today

Comment

• JohnsonCM
                              • Jan 2010

I completely forgot also....

There is a whole application already online that would work perfectly for something like this (again, if that's where it heads) called Scred, link below:

Gassho,
                              "Heitetsu"
                              Christopher
                              Sat today

Comment

• JohnsonCM
                                • Jan 2010

Sorry, keep remembering stuff after I hit the submit button ops:

I know of programs on the internet that, if there were a central PayPal account or something, people could do and send the money they make to that account. Like, for people with blogs that have been out there for a while, and you don't mind writing reviews of other websites and such, Blogvertise has always been pretty reliable. Of course again, in keeping with Right Vocation, I would only suggest taking assignments that you believe in after having looked at the web service or site or whatever and judged it to be of real and actual benefit to others.
                                Gassho,
                                "Heitetsu"
                                Christopher
                                Sat today

Comment

Working...