Re: Socially Engaged Buddhism

Sitting with all this ...

... some good thoughts here ...
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• JohnsonCM
      • Jan 2010

Very true. I don't think any of us want this to become a "commercial" venture, but I think we would be ok as long as we stay true to the teachings, use any monies for the relief of real suffering in the world, and let our compassion guide us. Like I said too, signs and sitting are free........
      Gassho,
      "Heitetsu"
      Christopher
      Sat today

Comment

• Keishin
        • Jun 2007

hellos to those posting here

specific thoughts to Christopher, who started this thread.

in particular you end your 1/8/11 @ 12:09 am post saying: "I'm in on the web of interconnection. I'll be glad to provide an open ear, and an open heart."

This is what you say.

But your actions indicated in your post 1/6/11 9:57pm demonstrate otherwise.

Don't tell me you are open ear, an open heart--be it.

Quoting folks out of context -- this is not an open ear, it is a selective ear. A selective ear retaining, repeating certain phrases to arouse a certain response, paint with a particular color--tell me, what is 'open' about this heart?

Nishijima Roshi has talked about buddhism as being not a religion but a philosophy of action.

We human beings cannot help but reveal what we believe, what we really believe, and not just what we give lip service to--in every single action, even the smallest one. There is no getting away from ourselves, our deeds. You want to be kind, an open ear? You want to extend to a group of socially isolated people somewhere your open heart?

Well, right here, visibly posting and visitors passing through who never post and are virtually invisible are your 'socially isolated people', show me/us your open ear... your open heart...

The point I am making is that 'those in need' aren't over there, wherever 'there' is, and they aren't 'them,' some category I have designated.
        The help given isn't some 'special action' I set aside specific time to commit to--3 hours, a week or so.
        And, yes, I can give as a volunteer as much time as I wish in whatever areas and agencies I wish, but no matter where I am or what I am doing, I am practicing my beliefs as evidenced by my every action. If I want to really know what my true beliefs are--all I have to do is watch what I do and 'why' I do it. At first it may seem obvious, but as I look, I see stories I tell myself and cover stories I might offer to 'explain' myself to others.
        I find things that are interesting all right...

May we all realize the buddha way together!

Comment

• Saijun
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by JohnsonCM
          Very true. I don't think any of us want this to become a "commercial" venture, but I think we would be ok as long as we stay true to the teachings, use any monies for the relief of real suffering in the world, and let our compassion guide us. Like I said too, signs and sitting are free........
          Good morning,

I recall, a good long while back, a gentleman sitting for four hours on a Friday night in the 'party district' of our town with a placard reading "One Buddhist for World Peace." It really stuck with me. Maybe we could organize an event like this, with each of us sitting in a park or somesuch, as a preliminary exercise?

Metta,

Perry
          To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Comment

• Keishin
            • Jun 2007

Perry,

I too have seen such meditators and as I pass by them I 'gassho.'

Once I came across a group of meditators at the beach (years ago before I injured my foot and could go on real walks), I sat and joined them for a spell before I headed off to work. Don't know that I would be interested in group action of sitting...dunno...

In one Sangha I sat a number of years with members were allowed to have e-mail contact with one another, etc., but we were told to refrain from any political use of the membership--this meant no e-mails about politcal rallies, etc; urging votes, supporting candidates, etc.
            Of course, using our personal contacts we could do these things, just not through the sangha site/members mailing list.
            This opened my eyes to the fact that buddhism can go anywhere, in any political place right/left/center, makes no difference.
            To think it belongs anywhere in particular is to impose a 'limitation' to it.
            Zen buddhism is like type O blood I think--it can give to everyone...
            As far as wanting buddhism to be more accessible to others which Christopher raised (this is a perennial topic--as raised in multiple past posts) ; well in this day of google and internet, it couldn't be more accessible or more easy to find a group to sit with, locate books about various sects, etc. Accessible, it is; but finding it, or stumbling across it, is not the same as sticking with it.

I would never urge someone to take up this practice (zen buddhism) nor would I suggest that anyone 'become' buddhist. I offer my support of anyone who has taken up this practice.
            There is a difference.

Comment

• Heisoku
              • Jun 2010

Thanks for your post Keishin

Nishijima Roshi has talked about buddhism as being not a religion but a philosophy of action.
              Perhaps it is best to 'polish the tile' first, knowing that the polishing polishes everything.

I have always had a nagging doubt that any extra ventures can distract from the central practices, particularly since work and family takes up a lot of time.

Back to polishing

Gassho Nigel.
              Heisoku 平 息
              Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Comment

• Rich
                • Apr 2009

I don't think there is anything wrong with Socially Engaged Buddhism per se, but the act is best done anonymously as possible as part of your everyday life. The Diamond Sutra talks linked here recently reminded me that to think you have gained merit by helping others is just another hindrance to being here now so you can truly help others and btw you are the others also.

I'm trying to do more for the people I have direct contact with rather than just give money to organizations. Volunteering - giving your time and energy and resources is the best social engagement.

Just thinking.
                _/_
                Rich
                MUHYO
                無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Nenka
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Keishin
                  As far as wanting buddhism to be more accessible to others which Christopher raised (this is a perennial topic--as raised in multiple past posts) ; well in this day of google and internet, it couldn't be more accessible or more easy to find a group to sit with, locate books about various sects, etc. Accessible, it is; but finding it, or stumbling across it, is not the same as sticking with it.

I would never urge someone to take up this practice (zen buddhism) nor would I suggest that anyone 'become' buddhist. I offer my support of anyone who has taken up this practice.
                  There is a difference.
                  Agree.

Originally posted by Rich
                  I don't think there is anything wrong with Socially Engaged Buddhism per se, but the act is best done anonymously as possible as part of your everyday life. The Diamond Sutra talks linked here recently reminded me that to think you have gained merit by helping others is just another hindrance to being here now so you can truly help others and btw you are the others also.

I'm trying to do more for the people I have direct contact with rather than just give money to organizations. Volunteering - giving your time and energy and resources is the best social engagement.
                  Totally, totally agree. I have picked up a volunteer gig, and I make efforts every day to be kinder to the people I come in contact with, to really listen to them speak, and to be more compassionate with my mother :wink: . And I'm not going to wear a Buddha around my neck, if you know what I mean.

Also, it occurs to me throughout all this that . . . well . . . socially isolated people? Dude, I fit that category! I've always been slow to join things, very solitary. I'm trying to be a bit more socially engaged, accepting invitations to outings with friends and family, stuff like that. 8)

Comment

• JohnsonCM
                    • Jan 2010

I, would not agree. The internet has made many things accessible, true. For instance there are many people in the world that find collecting skunks to be a valuable and rewarding past time. And, for all I know, it may be. But I would almost certainly never know about it, even though it is available on the internet, unless someone said, "Hey Chris, I know this may sound a little different, but....." and then told me WHY it might be rewarding to collect skunks. I, again, must disagree with "urging" someone to follow this path. I personally believe that the more the merrier, and certainly that this is one path to enlightenment. I would never try to convert someone, in the sense of trying to be a missionary, but certainly I would want people to know about the misconceptions around Buddhism, and perhaps shed what poor and dim light I may have on some of it.

Why on earth did Bodhidharma travel to China from India? Why did Dogen go to China and then bring the teachings back to Japan? Why have others like Aitken Roshi, Goddard, Deshimaru Roshi, bring the teachings to Europe and America? Have you read the English translation of what comes in the Rakusu envelope? The last few sentences are "You should receive them in deep faith and not permit them to be discontinued. For this I earnestly pray."

There is a difference between forcing a person to follow a religion or making it so that one cannot possibly turn away from it if they are not interested in it, and simply making it accessible and available. That's really what the internet did, it made it available, but not accessible. Offering your support, of course, a laudable thing, but not the only way, and there is nothing in our Way against saying, "Hey, here are some things about Zen, you can check it out, or not, whichever you choose." But at least you started them thinking about it.

Originally posted by Rich
                    The Diamond Sutra talks linked here recently reminded me that to think you have gained merit by helping others is just another hindrance to being here now so you can truly help others and btw you are the others also.
                    I agree, helping others because you feel that you gain merit, even if that merit is devoted to others is not in keeping with our Way. Such a thought would be delusion. However, that having been said, believing that going out into this world and bringing the teachings with you, and actively telling others about them (much like our Ancestors did) would be wrong, or trying to force our Way on others, may be just as much of a delusion.

I can respect that many don't want to do anything that will disparage the Three Treasures or cheapen the Way, but do not mistake the finger for the moon.

I would like to suggest that we think about sitting in a public place (warm months) and pick something in our own community. A food bank, the homeless population, pollution, something that causes suffering. And make up something that gives information on how people can help or participate, and sit. Just make a sign, give the info away, and sit. Or we can all pick a cause together, and whomever wants to participate can simply pick a month where they sit somewhere for this cause, with Treeleaf approved information on how to help, and sit for an hour or two on a weekend.

Thoughts?
                    Gassho,
                    "Heitetsu"
                    Christopher
                    Sat today

Comment

• Saijun
                      • Jul 2010

Hello friends,

Just a thought: since this thread is about

A.) Doing good works, and
                      B.) Making Buddhism more visible and accessible...

...why don't we continue with what we're each doing individually in our communities, and also work as a group to raise money for struggling temples and centers?

Just a thought. Any comments?

Metta,

Perry

Comment

• Stephanie

The problem I have with a lot of "socially engaged Buddhism" is that it's very self-righteous. I think that misses the point. People are by nature cooperative beings who, for the most part, are motivated to help others. It's not that grandiose, people without any grand religious mission help each other out all of the time.

That said, it's also very easy to talk and analyze endlessly, rather than go out there and actually make someone else's life a little easier.

As for that project I suggested, it was at Jundo's invitation. I understood that the project would be collaborative from the get-go--collaborative with Jundo and the entire sangha in planning and execution. I have no interest in that being a solo project.

I think it would be valuable for Treeleaf sangha members to collaborate on a project rather than just everyone go out and do their own things. I've just started reading a book called Unlearning the Basics and the author brings attention to how much the Buddha emphasized the importance of a cohesive sangha in spiritual health and development.

I've found the Skype "tea parties" essential in keeping me connected with Treeleaf and supporting my practice. Without that, I might not have stuck with Treeleaf, whereas now, I feel a tangible connection with people here, a friendship and support and inspiration that couldn't have happened reading messages alone. So I think some sort of community project would serve a dual function of fulfilling our bodhisattva vows and creating more cohesion and community among Treeleafers.

If folks like my idea and want to bring it back up to work on it some more, cool. I think it would need a lot of analysis and planning to be successful. That said, if anyone else has an idea for a different community project, I would be interested in participating in that also.

But I'm not going to make much of all this talk back and forth about social engagement until I actually see Treeleafers do something. I really got a feel for the disconnect between speech and action when I posted that thread. People acted enthusiastic until it was actually time to do something. Everyone liked the part of coming up with independent ideas but not so much collaborating to bring one idea into life and action. So let's either do something or shut up, in my opinion.

Comment

• Tb
                          • Jan 2008

Hi.

For those interested in the Teaparty, here's the thread.
                          viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2540&start=0

Mtfbwy
                          Fugen
                          Life is our temple and its all good practice
                          Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Saijun
                            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Stephanie

As for that project I suggested, it was at Jundo's invitation. I understood that the project would be collaborative from the get-go--collaborative with Jundo and the entire sangha in planning and execution. I have no interest in that being a solo project.

I think it would be valuable for Treeleaf sangha members to collaborate on a project rather than just everyone go out and do their own things. I've just started reading a book called Unlearning the Basics and the author brings attention to how much the Buddha emphasized the importance of a cohesive sangha in spiritual health and development.

If folks like my idea and want to bring it back up to work on it some more, cool. I think it would need a lot of analysis and planning to be successful. That said, if anyone else has an idea for a different community project, I would be interested in participating in that also.

But I'm not going to make much of all this talk back and forth about social engagement until I actually see Treeleafers do something. I really got a feel for the disconnect between speech and action when I posted that thread. People acted enthusiastic until it was actually time to do something. Everyone liked the part of coming up with independent ideas but not so much collaborating to bring one idea into life and action. So let's either do something or shut up, in my opinion.
                            Good morning friends,

Stephanie, if I may: I stopped responding to the "Web of Interconnection" thread because it seemed to me, after a few days, that you already had the plan fully formed very early on, and that it was just a matter of waiting for implementation. I sensed that no input was wanted, and so I withheld any comments I had at that time. Perhaps I was incorrect, and if so I apologize.

That having been said, I think that it is a good idea, although a maybe a difficult one. Perhaps something that we can all do "on our own, together" would be a better starting ground; something such as a multiplicity of small projects, with small groups working on them that could ultimately lead to the "Web of Interconnection" master-plan?

I know that I am, as a rule, a very eremitic individual, and haven't done much on a larger scale (which is not to say that I am opposed to such an endeavor). I suspect that I am not the only one in our sangha in this, or a similar, position.

For example: we could have a group design a pamphlet about the project, explaining the project as detailed in the other thread. Another could perhaps coordinate willing members in different time zones and locales to implement the above-mentioned "placard sitting" sessions to distribute said pamphlet, while a third monitors and processes any inquiries or applications for the project (I'm not sure that's the correct word, but I can't think of a better one at the moment. My apologies).

I'm just spit-balling, and I'm sure that there are better ideas out there than this. Perhaps we could set up another thread, or a group-chat, or a special edition of the Tea Party (if our Rev. Fugen would be so inclined) to discuss this?

Metta,

Perry

Comment

• JohnsonCM
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by AtomicSpud
                              For example: we could have a group design a pamphlet about the project, explaining the project as detailed in the other thread. Another could perhaps coordinate willing members in different time zones and locales to implement the above-mentioned "placard sitting" sessions to distribute said pamphlet, while a third monitors and processes any inquiries or applications for the project (I'm not sure that's the correct word, but I can't think of a better one at the moment. My apologies).
                              This is, I think, the perfect starting point for this. I think that we should come up with a list of things that motivate us, things that really touch us, select one, and sit publicly for it.

Some Ideas:

1. Peace in the Sudan
                              2. A free Tibet
                              3. Homlessness in our individual areas
                              4. Children orphaned by AIDS in Africa
                              5. Cancer Research - Especially cancer affecting children (or any sickness where children are at particular risk)
                              6. Domestic violence
                              7. Peace in the Middle East - perhaps some sort of multi-culture understanding program or an inter-faith solution type thing (that's the technical term)
                              Gassho,
                              "Heitetsu"
                              Christopher
                              Sat today

Comment

• Stephanie

So we're interested in "social engagement" but not if it involves, um, socially engaging with members of the Treeleaf community?

If we can't support, connect to, or work with members of our own community, what good are we going to do anyone else?

I'll be patiently waiting for that moment when Treeleafers come together to work on a shared project...

Comment

Working...