Cast your vote here for a sitting hall(mebeam or oovoo)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saijun
    • Jul 2010

Re: Cast your vote here for a sitting hall(mebeam or oovoo)

Hello friends,

This morning, I fiddled around with both; once I got past the initial surprise of the programs actually working for me (a rare occurrence, to be sure), I took a peek around; I would like to cast my vote for an oovoo meeting hall and a mebeam sitting hall. This way, there is greater clarity in the meeting hall, but you can put more people in the sitting hall.

However, I am not a technology "have," and don't know what kind of issues there are behind the scenes. I am sure that whatever happens, the sangha will live on and thrive :-)

Much metta,

Perry
    To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Comment

• Janne H
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AtomicSpud
      I would like to cast my vote for an oovoo meeting hall and a mebeam sitting hall. This way, there is greater clarity in the meeting hall, but you can put more people in the sitting hall.
      It seems both Oovoo and Mebeam have the same 6 person limit though.

Comment

• Saijun
        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Janne H
        It seems both Oovoo and Mebeam have the same 6 person limit though.
        Oh. I didn't know that. That being the case, I cast my vote for Oovoo with Mebeam as a backup.

Thank you for telling me that.

Much metta,

Perry
        To give up yourself without regret is the greatest charity. --RBB

Comment

• Shohei
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by roky
          just one addition, shohei, in response to jundo's question -- while working on a mebeam problem, i came across a post on the developer, ashod's, blog -- in it, he acknowledged that at some point in the last year he changed mebeam to a 6 person limit, due to problems they were having with, i think, bandwidth -- i am fairly certain of this, as i tested it by opening 6 windows at once -- i couldn't open a seventh

Ahh! makes sense. Thank you for checking Roky! Well ill start making the switcheroo to the Zen hall and the meeting hall, too. I agree Dosho, Zen hall is for silence sitting baring the life interruptions and testing and so the meeting hall will be also be going oovoo thanks to Don!

Gassho
          Shohei

Comment

• Dosho
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Shohei
            Originally posted by roky
            just one addition, shohei, in response to jundo's question -- while working on a mebeam problem, i came across a post on the developer, ashod's, blog -- in it, he acknowledged that at some point in the last year he changed mebeam to a 6 person limit, due to problems they were having with, i think, bandwidth -- i am fairly certain of this, as i tested it by opening 6 windows at once -- i couldn't open a seventh

Ahh! makes sense. Thank you for checking Roky! Well ill start making the switcheroo to the Zen hall and the meeting hall, too. I agree Dosho, Zen hall is for silence sitting baring the life interruptions and testing and so the meeting hall will be also be going oovoo thanks to Don!

Gassho
            Shohei

Yes, good work on finding out the limit roky...guess that pretty much makes it official since I don't see any tangible advantage of mebeam now. But if I am missing something...please correct me! And really we're voting on which platform gets the "official" link since neither are going away, right? Is there a way to redirect folks to the mebeam room if the ooVoo rooms are closed/full? I saw that you put a link for the reverse case Shohei which was a great idea.

Maybe mebeam will just be for folks in the know (secret hiding place!). I'll probably end up using mebeam since I'm the one who likes using an old computer far after the shine has come off.

Gassho,
            Dosho

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Another question:

If, once in awhile, there happen to be more than 6 folks who show up, is it possible in oovoo to open more than one conference room at once on one account? I mean, the two conference rooms cannot see each other, but the people in room 1 can see and sit with the people in room 1 ... the people in room 2 can see and sit with the folks in room 2 ... the people in room 3 with room 3 ...

I ask as that is what we have done with Mebeam sometimes, such as during our annual Jukai ceremony.

Gassho, J
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Shohei
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Jundo
                Another question:

If, once in awhile, there happen to be more than 6 folks who show up, is it possible in oovoo to open more than one conference room at once on one account? I mean, the two conference rooms cannot see each other, but the people in room 1 can see and sit with the people in room 1 ... the people in room 2 can see and sit with the folks in room 2 ... the people in room 3 with room 3 ...

I ask as that is what we have done with Mebeam sometimes, such as during our annual Jukai ceremony.

Gassho, J
                Hi Jundo,
                Short answer yes,
                long answer yes, we have 2 accounts one for the sitting/zen hall and one for the meeting hall. So there is 12 folks right there. if extra room is needed its on the same a count it costs (i say with out much digging) however in a special circumstance its not too much labour to add more rooms. (either by taking the plunge on my account and adding another room giving 18. If thats not enough we can get more again!

Gassho
                Shohei

Comment

• Shohei
                  • Oct 2007

Oh and Its now Oovoo as the primary system for sitting and meeting hall, mebeam just a click away!

Gassho
                  Shohei

Comment

• Engyo
                    • Aug 2010

...and there may be a way to add a room or two for time-limited or special occasion purposes for free, if we had the space to "park" them (ie an extra hall).
                    Gassho,
                    Don

Comment

• Shohei
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Don
                      ...and there may be a way to add a room or two for time-limited or special occasion purposes for free, if we had the space to "park" them (ie an extra hall).
                      Gassho,
                      Don
                      Yes exactly!

Gassho
                      Shohei

Comment

Working...