Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaelw
    • Feb 2022

Kesa insights

I ran across a reference to the nyoho-e Kesa that sparked some interest. As time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted, I searched around for more information. There is plenty of general ‘how to’ information available but the real gems I found right here in treeleaf.
    Hi everybody, If all goes to plan, I should be visiting Jundo this summer and start the kesa project online. What is it about? As you know, wearing the kesa is a very important point in Zen practice in our tradition. We already have a complete set of videos about sewing a rakusu that we designed prior to the last Jukai, the

A lot of in-depth information on the practicalities and subtilties that make very interesting reading. A lot of the links no longer work but even so a good reminder that others have walked this path before and will continue to do so.

That in turn led me to

Especially interesting to read about the nyoho-e Kesa and the Sotoshu as there is some misleading information out there that this clarifies. Also the history of the Fukendenkai movement that I thought was just the name given to the act of sewing.

And for any fans of the weird and wonderful

I 'hung up my needle' when I finished my Rakusu but now I have an itch to start sewing again.
    Sorry to run long.

Gassho
    MichaelW

sat
  • Kotei
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Mar 2015

I'd love being helpful if you consider undertaking this task.

As you have taken Jukai with Treeleaf, you'd need to ask Jundo about it as a next step.
    We're sewing the Nyoho-e Okesa and there are some helpful people and documents available on your way.
    There are two Fukudenkai meetings per week going.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by michaelw
      I ran across a reference to the nyoho-e Kesa that sparked some interest. As time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted, I searched around for more information. There is plenty of general ‘how to’ information available but the real gems I found right here in treeleaf.
      Hi everybody, If all goes to plan, I should be visiting Jundo this summer and start the kesa project online. What is it about? As you know, wearing the kesa is a very important point in Zen practice in our tradition. We already have a complete set of videos about sewing a rakusu that we designed prior to the last Jukai, the

A lot of in-depth information on the practicalities and subtilties that make very interesting reading. A lot of the links no longer work but even so a good reminder that others have walked this path before and will continue to do so.

That in turn led me to

Especially interesting to read about the nyoho-e Kesa and the Sotoshu as there is some misleading information out there that this clarifies. Also the history of the Fukendenkai movement that I thought was just the name given to the act of sewing.

And for any fans of the weird and wonderful

I 'hung up my needle' when I finished my Rakusu but now I have an itch to start sewing again.
      Sorry to run long.

Gassho
      MichaelW

sat
      Michael, should you wish, you would be welcome to sew a Kesa. Or another Rakusu even. Or both.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• michaelw
        • Feb 2022

Gassho
        MichaelW

sat

Comment

• Myojin
          • Feb 2023

I've been considering sewing as a practice for a few years now so thanks for the links, lots of interesting information here. Whilst not a skilful seamster I can sew, used to sew badges onto my uniform once upon a time and have sewn various badges and other small objects, a kesa/rakusu would be a level up.

Since I've not undertaken jukai presumably this practice is off limits for the time being?

Sattday

Dan

Comment

• Bion
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Dan65
            I've been considering sewing as a practice for a few years now so thanks for the links, lots of interesting information here. Whilst not a skilful seamster I can sew, used to sew badges onto my uniform once upon a time and have sewn various badges and other small objects, a kesa/rakusu would be a level up.

Since I've not undertaken jukai presumably this practice is off limits for the time being?

Sattday

Dan
            Same practice, just different scale! Starting with the rakusu and receiving the Precepts is the norm nowadays [emoji3526]

[emoji1374] Sat Today
            "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Kotei
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Mar 2015

Hello Dan,

sewing and wearing the Okesa is connected to studying the precepts and committing to them as guidance for our lives and regular practice.
              Jukai is the process of formally doing so and there is also the rakusu, the small kesa, sewn together during the preparation period.
              There is a lot to be learned during the rakusu sewing, which is really good to know when starting with the much larger okesa project.

The next Jukai preparation period will start in the beginning of September, which is just around the corner.
              You'd be very welcome to join in.

Gassho,
              Kotei sat/lah today.

Originally posted by Dan65

Sattday

Dan
              義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Myojin
                • Feb 2023

Originally posted by Kotei
                Hello Dan,

sewing and wearing the Okesa is connected to studying the precepts and committing to them as guidance for our lives and regular practice.
                Jukai is the process of formally doing so and there is also the rakusu, the small kesa, sewn together during the preparation period.
                There is a lot to be learned during the rakusu sewing, which is really good to know when starting with the much larger okesa project.

The next Jukai preparation period will start in the beginning of September, which is just around the corner.
                You'd be very welcome to join in.

Gassho,
                Kotei sat/lah today.
                Hi Kotei,

I'm certainly considering it as I've had the idea in mind for some time. I do have a lot coming up over the summer, house move, job etc, but assuming the dust is more or less settled by September it's something I'm drawn to.

Dan

Comment

Working...