Noble Eightfold Path

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • chicanobudista
    Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 864

    Noble Eightfold Path

    What's a good book that explains (for lack of a better word) the Noble Eightfold Path? :?:
    paz,
    Erik


    Flor de Nopal Sangha
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006
    • 39075

    #2
    Re: Noble Eightfold Path

    Originally posted by chicanobudista
    What's a good book that explains (for lack of a better word) the Noble Eightfold Path? :?:
    Hi Erik,

    Almost any and every book on basic Buddhism will cover the Noble Eightfold Path because it is ... well, the foundation of Buddhism. The question then becomes more which interpretation of the Noble Eightfold Path you wish to examine. Are you thinking of looking from a particularly "Zen Buddhist" perspective, or a more "Theravadan" perspective, or historical perspective, etc. All the same, but each with its own flavor. Let me know, and I might recommend something.

    Even I covered the Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path recently ...

    http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... -four.html

    http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... xxiii.html

    Gassho, The Librarian
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

    Comment

    • Rev R
      Member
      • Jul 2007
      • 457

      #3
      Re: Noble Eightfold Path

      I'd suggest Steve Hagen's Buddhism Plain and Simple for a general view (and Jundo's talks too).

      Comment

      • chicanobudista
        Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 864

        #4
        Re: Noble Eightfold Path

        Originally posted by Rev R
        I'd suggest Steve Hagen's Buddhism Plain and Simple for a general view (and Jundo's talks too).

        I got that book! Great book.
        paz,
        Erik


        Flor de Nopal Sangha

        Comment

        • chicanobudista
          Member
          • Mar 2008
          • 864

          #5
          Re: Noble Eightfold Path

          Originally posted by Jundo
          Almost any and every book on basic Buddhism will cover the Noble Eightfold Path because it is ... well, the foundation of Buddhism. The question then becomes more which interpretation of the Noble Eightfold Path you wish to examine. Are you thinking of looking from a particularly "Zen Buddhist" perspective, or a more "Theravadan" perspective, or historical perspective, etc.

          Gassho, The Librarian
          Hmmmm...good question. I'll say from a Zen and Theravada perspective along with a historical study.
          paz,
          Erik


          Flor de Nopal Sangha

          Comment

          • Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006
            • 39075

            #6
            Re: Noble Eightfold Path

            Originally posted by chicanobudista

            Hmmmm...good question. I'll say from a Zen and Theravada perspective along with a historical study.
            Well, some of the best material I know is available on the internet ...

            The western born scholar and translator Bhikkhu Bodhi has his book published online, a dandy discussion from the point of view of a Sri Lankan Theravadan tradition ...

            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html

            Of course, you may want to read Guatama Buddha's own words, and I recommend this book ... also assembled by Bhikkhu Bodhi ...

            In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon (Teachings of the Buddha) (Paperback)
            http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-Ant ... 268&sr=8-3

            A priest from Romania in the Hsu Yun Lineage has a very nice essay online ...
            http://www.hsuyun.org/Dharma/zbohy/Lite ... path2.html

            From a Zen Buddhist perspective, this essay has been around for awhile and is often mentioned (I will try to reread it, which I have not in awhile, but I recall it as good) ...

            http://www.skepticfiles.org/mys1/8fold.htm

            Apart from that, you probably want to make a historical study of the development of all Buddhist Philosophy, because the 'Four Noble Truths' and 'Eightfold Path' cannot be separated from the entire body of Buddhist history and evolution.

            Gassho, Jundo
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

            Comment

            • chicanobudista
              Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 864

              #7
              Re: Noble Eightfold Path

              Originally posted by Jundo

              The western born scholar and translator Bhikkhu Bodhi has his book published online, a dandy discussion from the point of view of a Sri Lankan Theravadan tradition ...
              Ah. Yes. We are using that essay in our sangha for dharma study.

              Flor de Nopal Sangha

              Of course, you may want to read Guatama Buddha's own words, and I recommend this book ... also assembled by Bhikkhu Bodhi ..
              Cool. I'll check at B&N.

              Thanks for the other links.

              Apart from that, you probably want to make a historical study of the development of all Buddhist Philosophy, because the 'Four Noble Truths' and 'Eightfold Path' cannot be separated from the entire body of Buddhist history and evolution.
              For a historical perspective, I am reading these two books:



              paz,
              Erik


              Flor de Nopal Sangha

              Comment

              • Jundo
                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                • Apr 2006
                • 39075

                #8
                Re: Noble Eightfold Path

                Those are wonderful, informative books. Gassho, J
                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

                Comment

                • Hans
                  Member
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 1853

                  #9
                  Re: Noble Eightfold Path

                  Hello!

                  Du Moulin's book is very comprehensive and a great reference, just keep in mind that most of the stuff he writes is more likely to reflect how the zen schools liked to view their own stories and less likely to give you the current status quo of the academic debate which has moved on quite a bit since then and debunked quite a lot of assumptions that were still taken as fact back when Du Moulin wrote the major bulk of his first edition.


                  Gassho,

                  Hans

                  Comment

                  • chicanobudista
                    Member
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 864

                    #10
                    Re: Noble Eightfold Path

                    Originally posted by Hans
                    Hello!

                    Du Moulin's book is very comprehensive and a great reference, just keep in mind that most of the stuff he writes is more likely to reflect how the zen schools liked to view their own stories and less likely to give you the current status quo of the academic debate which has moved on quite a bit since then and debunked quite a lot of assumptions that were still taken as fact back when Du Moulin wrote the major bulk of his first edition.
                    What's a new book that might reflect newer historical understanding?
                    paz,
                    Erik


                    Flor de Nopal Sangha

                    Comment

                    • Keishin
                      Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • 471

                      #11
                      Re: Noble Eightfold Path

                      You are the new book reflecting up to the moment by moment latest breaking understanding!

                      Comment

                      • Jundo
                        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 39075

                        #12
                        Re: Noble Eightfold Path

                        Originally posted by Keishin
                        You are the new book reflecting up to the moment by moment latest breaking understanding!
                        Nine Bows, Keishin.
                        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

                        Comment

                        • chicanobudista
                          Member
                          • Mar 2008
                          • 864

                          #13
                          Re: Noble Eightfold Path

                          Originally posted by Keishin
                          You are the new book reflecting up to the moment by moment latest breaking understanding!
                          Can I find it in Amazon.com? :twisted:
                          paz,
                          Erik


                          Flor de Nopal Sangha

                          Comment

                          • chicanobudista
                            Member
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 864

                            #14
                            Re: Noble Eightfold Path

                            But......seriously....what's a good new book on history of Buddhism?
                            paz,
                            Erik


                            Flor de Nopal Sangha

                            Comment

                            • Jundo
                              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 39075

                              #15
                              Re: Noble Eightfold Path

                              Originally posted by chicanobudista
                              But......seriously....what's a good new book on history of Buddhism?
                              Several on our Treeleaf "Suggested Book List" I can recommend ...

                              viewtopic.php?f=1&t=889

                              On the development of Mahayana Buddhism in general ...

                              • Mahayana Buddhism, The Doctrinal Foundations, by Paul Williams

                              (There is also a book in that same series on Theravadan doctrine:

                              • Theravadan Buddhism: A Social History from Ancient Benares to Modern Columbo by Richard Gombrich)

                              On Master Dogen ...

                              • Eihei Dogen: Mystical Realist, Revised, Third Edition (Paperback) by Hee-Jin Kim

                              On Zen Doctrine and development ... a couple of more specialized books by my friend, Steve Heine ...

                              - Zen Ritual: Studies of Zen Buddhist Theories in Practice, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2007)
                              - Zen Classics: Formative Texts in the History of Zen Buddhism, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2005)
                              - The Zen Canon: Understanding the Classic Texts, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2004)
                              - The Koan: Texts and Contexts in Zen Buddhism, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2000)
                              - Buddhism in the Modern World: Adaptations of an Ancient Tradition, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2003)

                              And a good book I am re-reading now on Buddhism in the West (really, in North America and Britain) ...

                              - The New Buddhism: The Western Transformation of an Ancient Tradition (Paperback) by James William Coleman

                              That should keep you busy for awhile!

                              If you are looking for a single volume history, nothing really comes to mind. The subject is too big.

                              Gassho, Jundo
                              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

                              Comment

                              Working...