Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chicanobudista
    • Mar 2008

Noble Eightfold Path

What's a good book that explains (for lack of a better word) the Noble Eightfold Path? :?:
    paz,
    Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Re: Noble Eightfold Path

Originally posted by chicanobudista
    What's a good book that explains (for lack of a better word) the Noble Eightfold Path? :?:
    Hi Erik,

Almost any and every book on basic Buddhism will cover the Noble Eightfold Path because it is ... well, the foundation of Buddhism. The question then becomes more which interpretation of the Noble Eightfold Path you wish to examine. Are you thinking of looking from a particularly "Zen Buddhist" perspective, or a more "Theravadan" perspective, or historical perspective, etc. All the same, but each with its own flavor. Let me know, and I might recommend something.

Even I covered the Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path recently ...

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... -four.html

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... xxiii.html

Gassho, The Librarian
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Rev R
      • Jul 2007

I'd suggest Steve Hagen's Buddhism Plain and Simple for a general view (and Jundo's talks too).

Comment

• chicanobudista
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Rev R
        I'd suggest Steve Hagen's Buddhism Plain and Simple for a general view (and Jundo's talks too).

I got that book! Great book.
        paz,
        Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• chicanobudista
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Jundo
          Almost any and every book on basic Buddhism will cover the Noble Eightfold Path because it is ... well, the foundation of Buddhism. The question then becomes more which interpretation of the Noble Eightfold Path you wish to examine. Are you thinking of looking from a particularly "Zen Buddhist" perspective, or a more "Theravadan" perspective, or historical perspective, etc.

Gassho, The Librarian
          Hmmmm...good question. I'll say from a Zen and Theravada perspective along with a historical study.
          paz,
          Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• Jundo
            • Apr 2006

Hmmmm...good question. I'll say from a Zen and Theravada perspective along with a historical study.
            Well, some of the best material I know is available on the internet ...

The western born scholar and translator Bhikkhu Bodhi has his book published online, a dandy discussion from the point of view of a Sri Lankan Theravadan tradition ...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... toend.html

Of course, you may want to read Guatama Buddha's own words, and I recommend this book ... also assembled by Bhikkhu Bodhi ...

In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon (Teachings of the Buddha) (Paperback)
            http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-Ant ... 268&sr=8-3

A priest from Romania in the Hsu Yun Lineage has a very nice essay online ...
            http://www.hsuyun.org/Dharma/zbohy/Lite ... path2.html

From a Zen Buddhist perspective, this essay has been around for awhile and is often mentioned (I will try to reread it, which I have not in awhile, but I recall it as good) ...

http://www.skepticfiles.org/mys1/8fold.htm

Apart from that, you probably want to make a historical study of the development of all Buddhist Philosophy, because the 'Four Noble Truths' and 'Eightfold Path' cannot be separated from the entire body of Buddhist history and evolution.

Gassho, Jundo

Comment

• chicanobudista
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Jundo

The western born scholar and translator Bhikkhu Bodhi has his book published online, a dandy discussion from the point of view of a Sri Lankan Theravadan tradition ...
              Ah. Yes. We are using that essay in our sangha for dharma study.

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Of course, you may want to read Guatama Buddha's own words, and I recommend this book ... also assembled by Bhikkhu Bodhi ..
              Cool. I'll check at B&N.

Thanks for the other links.

Apart from that, you probably want to make a historical study of the development of all Buddhist Philosophy, because the 'Four Noble Truths' and 'Eightfold Path' cannot be separated from the entire body of Buddhist history and evolution.
              For a historical perspective, I am reading these two books:

paz,
              Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Those are wonderful, informative books. Gassho, J

Comment

• Hans
                  • Mar 2007

Hello!

Du Moulin's book is very comprehensive and a great reference, just keep in mind that most of the stuff he writes is more likely to reflect how the zen schools liked to view their own stories and less likely to give you the current status quo of the academic debate which has moved on quite a bit since then and debunked quite a lot of assumptions that were still taken as fact back when Du Moulin wrote the major bulk of his first edition.

Gassho,

Hans

Comment

• chicanobudista
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Hans
                    Hello!

Du Moulin's book is very comprehensive and a great reference, just keep in mind that most of the stuff he writes is more likely to reflect how the zen schools liked to view their own stories and less likely to give you the current status quo of the academic debate which has moved on quite a bit since then and debunked quite a lot of assumptions that were still taken as fact back when Du Moulin wrote the major bulk of his first edition.
                    What's a new book that might reflect newer historical understanding?
                    paz,
                    Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• Keishin
                      • Jun 2007

You are the new book reflecting up to the moment by moment latest breaking understanding!

Comment

• Jundo
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Keishin
                        You are the new book reflecting up to the moment by moment latest breaking understanding!
                        Nine Bows, Keishin.

Comment

• chicanobudista
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Keishin
                          Can I find it in Amazon.com? :twisted:
                          paz,
                          Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• chicanobudista
                            • Mar 2008

But......seriously....what's a good new book on history of Buddhism?
                            paz,
                            Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

But......seriously....what's a good new book on history of Buddhism?
                              Several on our Treeleaf "Suggested Book List" I can recommend ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=889

On the development of Mahayana Buddhism in general ...

• Mahayana Buddhism, The Doctrinal Foundations, by Paul Williams

(There is also a book in that same series on Theravadan doctrine:

• Theravadan Buddhism: A Social History from Ancient Benares to Modern Columbo by Richard Gombrich)

On Master Dogen ...

• Eihei Dogen: Mystical Realist, Revised, Third Edition (Paperback) by Hee-Jin Kim

On Zen Doctrine and development ... a couple of more specialized books by my friend, Steve Heine ...

- Zen Ritual: Studies of Zen Buddhist Theories in Practice, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2007)
                              - Zen Classics: Formative Texts in the History of Zen Buddhism, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2005)
                              - The Zen Canon: Understanding the Classic Texts, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2004)
                              - The Koan: Texts and Contexts in Zen Buddhism, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2000)
                              - Buddhism in the Modern World: Adaptations of an Ancient Tradition, co-edited (Oxford University Press, 2003)

And a good book I am re-reading now on Buddhism in the West (really, in North America and Britain) ...

- The New Buddhism: The Western Transformation of an Ancient Tradition (Paperback) by James William Coleman

That should keep you busy for awhile!

If you are looking for a single volume history, nothing really comes to mind. The subject is too big.

Gassho, Jundo

Comment

Working...