I can zazen on a hike. I can zazen on a bike...?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meian
    • Apr 2015

I do on a stationary bike, and during yoga.

Gassho, meian st lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
    visiting Unsui
    Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Shinshi
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jul 2010

I am a distance runner (just did my 12th marathon) and will run up to 50 miles a week in training. I find that there is a notable overlap between running and sitting - but they are also different. They are the same in that when you run there are many times when everything drops away. You are just running. Your mind drops away, your evaluations drop away, you and the process are just one thing. You become the run. I think the fact that running is a very rhythmic activity helps, you are breathing in and out and your steps beat out tempo. You flow through the run. I find this particularly true when running trails. You don't think about where you are going or how you are going to navigate the terrain. Your body just sees and does, no time for thought. You just run the trail that is in front of you as it presents itself to you.

Sorry, already too many sentences.

Gassho,

Shinshi

SaT-LaH
      空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
      There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
      -Dogen
      E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Onka
        • May 2019

I used to be a swimmer, swimming at least 6km per day and the rhythm you get into used to be incredibly peaceful, the only sound being the slapping of water. Without a word of a lie on occasions I felt so relaxed that I felt I could fall asleep distance swimming. Other experiences of being completely present and at one with everything is riding my motorcycle effortlessly finding gaps and lane splitting.
        Gassho
        Onka
        ST/LAH
        穏 On (Calm)
        火 Ka (Fires)
        They/She.

Comment

• Tosei
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Shinshi
          I am a distance runner (just did my 12th marathon) and will run up to 50 miles a week in training. I find that there is a notable overlap between running and sitting - but they are also different. They are the same in that when you run there are many times when everything drops away. You are just running. Your mind drops away, your evaluations drop away, you and the process are just one thing. You become the run. I think the fact that running is a very rhythmic activity helps, you are breathing in and out and your steps beat out tempo. You flow through the run. I find this particularly true when running trails. You don't think about where you are going or how you are going to navigate the terrain. Your body just sees and does, no time for thought. You just run the trail that is in front of you as it presents itself to you.

Sorry, already too many sentences.

Gassho,

Shinshi

SaT-LaH
          For years I ran ultras and often found as you do, Shinshi, that there’s a lot going on that’s pretty similar to what I experience in sitting. I’ll add a couple more—just for completeness—the times, the many times, where every fibre of your body mind is screaming ‘why am I doing this?’ and, ‘I think I’ll stop/no I won’t/I’m stopping/no I’m not’; or, the mantra ‘don’t need to win/just need to keep moving, hopefully forward, but I’ll take what I can get’, and finally, those days when the mountain trail unrolls beneath you, the smells of sage and grass come and go, the birds dance and dance away, and the sky is an ever-changing kaleidoscope of bright blue and gentle wisps of white cloud, there and gone again. In other words, yeah.

Apologies for meeting the technical standard of three sentences, while so clearly going beyond the spirit.

Gassho,

P

S/t
          東西 - Tōsei - East West
          there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Comment

• Washin
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Dec 2014

When I visit the gym (been doing it for the last 15 years) and do my mindful work out
            it reminds me of Zazen. There's surely an overlap..and yet they are different.
            Similar thing with Tai Chi.

Gassho,
            Washin
            sat today/LAH
            Last edited by Washin; 09-18-2020, 04:42 AM.
            Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
            Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
            ----
            I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
            and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

In fact, my daily exercise bike (I do a stationary bike for about 1 hour 15 minutes a day most days of the week) is my chance to catch up on TV shows (watching the most recent season of "Homeland" now, and recently the "Amazing Mrs. Maizel") and the monologue on America's "Colbert" show, plus "Last Week Tonight," Bill Maher and that kind of thing (I have political views ... just not here! ). It is my chance to play tv watching "couch potato," catch up on "culture" in my former country of the USA, while actually burning some calories!

(I learned years ago that even the big Roshis in the big Zen monasteries often had tv sets for their private time, cause even a Roshi needs to kick back ... but they often kept them discreetly hidden under a nice cloth or something at other times.

The car is the chance to catch up on podcasts (This American Life, RadioLab, Snap Judgement, mostly from the USA, the futurist "Singularity Podcast" from Canada, among my favorites, plus "No Such Thing As A Fish" from the UK, some Buddhist things like the Imperfect Buddha Podcast, Secular Buddhist and such ... not to mention the absolutely AMAZING "the ZEN of EVERYTHING!" featuring Kirk and Jundo! ).

Links to episodes of Kirk & Jundo's "ZEN of EVERYTHING" Podcast, a zen take on life, love, laughter, and everything else (www.zen-of-everything.com) and our Treeleaf Podcast featuring Dharma Talks by Jundo

There is a time to sit Zazen. A time to watch "Better Call Saul" or "Samantha Bee." All in its time.

(Sorry for running long with my entertainment recommendations).

Gassho, J

STLah
              Last edited by Jundo; 09-18-2020, 05:25 AM.
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Yokai
                • Jan 2020

I know it's outrageous, but I've taken up sewing as a kind of zazen!

Gassho, Chris satlah

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ChrisKiwi
                  I know it's outrageous, but I've taken up sewing as a kind of zazen!

Gassho, Chris satlah
                  SHOCKING!

Actually that will be part of the topic tomorrow during Zazenkai of Zen Practice as partly physical embodiment, including our sewing.

September 18th-19th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Embodiment
                  Dear All, Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more: 10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here: https://youtu.be/c6kzLJeCQL0 Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at:

Gassho, J

STLah
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kotei
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Mar 2015

Running (in that slightly below 50miles a week category), sewing, practicing Shakuhachi and Samu in the large garden is what I find related to Zazen.
                    Autumn, the 50m3 of wonderfully coloured leaves falling over the next weeks and raking them together instead of using a leaf blower.
                    Gassho,
                    Kotei sat/lah today.
                    Last edited by Kotei; 09-18-2020, 07:10 AM.
                    義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

Working...