I can zazen on a hike. I can zazen on a bike...?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sreed
    • Dec 2018

There are no dumb questions right?
    Can I zazen on my stationary bike? I find the movement really helps me to silencing the monkey mind chatter. Is this a form of kinhin? What if I'm getting sweaty — does this still "count" as zazen? To really reap the benefits of zazen do I need to be on my cushion all the time?
    Gassho
    -Sara
    ST
  • floke
    • Nov 2019

I saw this and thought it was the Dr Seuss view of Zazen ...

I can Zazen on my bike
    I can Zazen where I like!

[emoji3286][emoji468][emoji41]

Gassho,

Steve

sat:today

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

But how do you pedal in the lotus posture?

Kinhin is kinhin (walking), samu is samu (working), biking is biking ... all can be A KIND of Zazen. One can bike without goal, each turn of the pedals the whole universe turning without before or after.

All can be beautiful forms of Zazen, HOWEVER, one should still sit Zazen each day without motion or other activity because there is simple a difference between the feeling of the body in motion and the body still, so not the same ... no.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Bion
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Jundo

Kinhin is kinhin (walking), samu is samu (working), biking is biking ... all can be A KIND of Zazen. One can bike without goal, each turn of the pedals the whole universe turning without before or after.

All can be beautiful forms of Zazen, HOWEVER, one should still sit Zazen each day without motion or other activity because there is simple a difference between the feeling of the body in motion and the body still, so not the same ... no.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
        The only “outrageous” “out of the ordinary” zazen I ever sit is when I do it on the bus. It’s a 1 hour ride from home to the city, and sometimes I take advantage. Can’t lotus it but I can SIT it [emoji1]

[emoji1374] SatToday lah
        "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Kokuu
          Treeleaf Priest
          • Nov 2012

The only “outrageous” “out of the ordinary” zazen I ever sit is when I do it on the bus
          I can Zazen on my bike
          I can Zazen on my bus
          I can Zazen with no fuss!

Gassho
          Kokuu
          -sattoday/madeupnonsenserhymeswithfloke!-

Comment

• Inshin
            • Jul 2020

Originally posted by sreed
            There are no dumb questions right?
            Can I zazen on my stationary bike? I find the movement really helps me to silencing the monkey mind chatter. Is this a form of kinhin? What if I'm getting sweaty — does this still "count" as zazen? To really reap the benefits of zazen do I need to be on my cushion all the time?
            Gassho
            -Sara
            ST
            Maybe of interest : an interview with Zen Master about Zen and biking
            What made Miguel Indurain, Steve Jobs and the Samurai so successful? What constitutes true mastery? We sat down with Zen master Hinnerk Polenski at the Daishin Zen monastery in Buchenberg, Germany, to mull over improvements in performance, ride-life balance, moments of flow and the real sense behind sport. GRAN FONDO Cycling: Dear Hinnerk, thank you […]

He comes across a little bit Alan Watts-ey for me.
            Gassho
            Sat
            Last edited by Inshin; 09-17-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Washin
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Dec 2014

I can Zazen on my bike
              I can Zazen on my bus

Gassho
              Kokuu

Cool!

Gassho
              Washin
              stlah
              Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
              Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
              ----
              I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
              and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Ania
                Maybe of interest : an interview with Zen Master about Zen and biking
                What made Miguel Indurain, Steve Jobs and the Samurai so successful? What constitutes true mastery? We sat down with Zen master Hinnerk Polenski at the Daishin Zen monastery in Buchenberg, Germany, to mull over improvements in performance, ride-life balance, moments of flow and the real sense behind sport. GRAN FONDO Cycling: Dear Hinnerk, thank you […]

He comes across a little bit Alan Watts-ey for me.
                Gassho
                Sat
                I do not know this Rinzai teacher, and he says some interesting comments on experiencing "flow" or "being in the zone."

But Zen goes beyond these moments of flow. When this flow happens during a task, it’s called Samadhi in traditional Zen teachings, a state of meditative consciousness when you’re carrying out a movement that you’ve mastered. I have the strength, I have the energy, I have taken this movement to an unconscious level, completely submerged in the totality of the task. But it isn’t the true meaning of Zen. It’s simply an experience that shows me that there’s more to life than the constant entanglement around me. There’s more than stress, worries and my terraced house. There’s something inside me – as I just experienced – and it’s not something to which I can even give a name. ... Unfortunately many athletes call it a day with flow, saying: ‘Yes, that’s why I run, that’s why I ride a bike, that’s why I do this or that.’ But as humans we have the potential to unlock this dimension in our daily lives too. And then it’s no longer flow; it’s awareness. It becomes a transformation that changes your life, leading to a life full of happiness and awareness. Not simply riding as flow, but living a life of flow – with rough edges at times, missed trains, and relationship woes. The ideal Zen is uninterrupted flow. Athletes have this privilege for those moments in which they’re wholly inside the immediacy of the moment. You could call it a spark, but the sense of Zen isn’t simply one spark; it’s thousands, or millions, of these sparks, until they’re all shining in the light at some point. It’s not like a light being switched on [Laughs], but it is, in fact, reality that is illuminated.
                Some folks think that Zen is about always feeling "in the zone" or experiencing "flow." I am not sure that the "ideal Zen is uninterrupted flow" if that means always FEELING "in the zone" and experiencing "flow." It is a subtle distinction, but Zen folks can so "Flow with the Flow" that we flow even with being "out of the zone" and not feeling flowy! One might say that it is a kind of universal Big "Z" Zone that holds both feeling "in the zone" or "out of the zone." It is so much "going with the flow" that one is even willing to sometimes have life flow right down the drain! We flow when life is flowing along our way, and we flow even in the turbulent waters when it feels more like drowning or an overflowing toilet than "flow!"

The kind of "flow" that any of us experience sometimes ... in riding a bike or other physical exercise, at those times when our movements feel as graceful as a gazelle ... are lovely, but they are not the only Flow of the Universe which also holds those moments when we fall right off the bike into the mud, or move with all the grace of a hippo with a sprained ankle.

(Sorry, I flowed right into too many sentences)

Gassho, J

STLah
                Last edited by Jundo; 09-17-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Bion
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Aug 2020

I do not know this Rinzai teacher, and he says some interesting comments on experiencing "flow" or "being in the zone."

Some folks think that Zen is about always feeling "in the zone" or experiencing "flow." I am not sure that the "ideal Zen is uninterrupted flow" if that means always FEELING "in the zone" and experiencing "flow." It is a subtle distinction, but Zen folks can so "Flow with the Flow" that we flow even with being "out of the zone" and not feeling flowy! One might say that it is a kind of universal Big "Z" Zone that holds both feeling "in the zone" or "out of the zone." It is so much "going with the flow" that one is even willing to sometimes have life flow right down the drain! We flow when life is flowing along our way, and we flow even in the turbulent waters when it feels more like drowning or an overflowing toilet than "flow!"

The kind of "flow" that any of us experience sometimes ... in riding a bike or other physical exercise, at those times when our movements feel as graceful as a gazelle ... are lovely, but they are not the only Flow of the Universe which also holds those moments when we fall right off the bike into the mud, or move with all the grace of a hippo with a sprained ankle.

(Sorry, I flowed right into too many sentences)

Gassho, J

STLah
                  So you also think he’s Rinzai? I suspected that because of the book in the photo. I was thrown off first of all by his ideas, then by his rakusu and especially by the various mala beads.

[emoji1374] SatToday lah
                  "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jakeb
                    So you also think he’s Rinzai? I suspected that because of the book in the photo. I was thrown off first of all by his ideas, then by his rakusu and especially by the various mala beads.

[emoji1374] SatToday lah
                    Also by the fact that I looked up his biography on the internet.

Hinnerk Polenski is a Zen master and abbot of the European Dashin Zen order and the Zen monastery in Buchenberg in the Allgäu. He is an ordained monk and a member of the Hokoji Rinzai Order and the Syoko-ji in Japan. “Syobu” (Japanese for Zen warrior) is his Dharma name, which was given to him in 1992 by Zen master Oi Saidan Roshi. Polenski (born 1959) has been practicing the Zen path for more than 30 years. He is the Dharma successor (Inca) for Dashin-Rinzai-Zen by Reiko Mukai Roshi. Together with his teacher Reiko Mukai, he founded the Daishin Zen line, a Zen school that focuses on the development of a European Zen path. Zen for Leaders is one of three orientations of Daishin Zen.

Hinnerk Syobu Polenski has been leading Zen seminars for managers in Germany, Austria, Luxembourg and Switzerland for over 25 years. After more than ten years as a freelance management consultant, he has been devoting himself entirely to Zen training and executive coaching since 1999.

His "Zen Meditation" series, broadcast by Bayerischer Rundfunk and other third ARD programs since 2001, has so far reached millions of viewers, and the DVD of the same name has sold more than 10,000 times. ... In addition to 25 Daishin Zen meditation groups in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, there are now more than 15 Zendos (places of meditation) in German-speaking companies. Hinnerk Polenski supports executives on boards and management boards in their own meditation groups. Several thousand German-speaking managers and leaders meditate regularly, many of whom have been introduced to Zen through the Zen Leadership Academy.
                    https://zen-kloster.de/lehrer/
                    But I never heard of him (It is not like we Zen guys automatically know each other. especially, unfortunately, with some language barriers between Europe and North America)

I thought he might be one of the folks (but I don't see him) in this wonderful film on Zen in Europe that was recently introduced here, including my Dharma Sister:

Dear All, I would like to introduce everyone to a WONDERFUL FILM of INTERVIEWS with ZEN TEACHERS from EUROPE, several of whom are not so well-known outside Europe because of language. I recommend this highly. The interviews are primarily in German and French, but with good subtitling in English. It is available for free on

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Bion
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Aug 2020

But I never heard of him (It is not like we Zen guys automatically know each other. especially, unfortunately, with some language barriers between Europe and North America)

I thought he might be one of the folks (but I don't see him) in this wonderful film on Zen in Europe that was recently introduced here, including my Dharma Sister:

Dear All, I would like to introduce everyone to a WONDERFUL FILM of INTERVIEWS with ZEN TEACHERS from EUROPE, several of whom are not so well-known outside Europe because of language. I recommend this highly. The interviews are primarily in German and French, but with good subtitling in English. It is available for free on

Gassho, J

STLah
                      I was not that invested, as to go google him [emoji23]
                      I’ll have a look at that video you shared! Off to sit evening zazen!

[emoji1374] SatToday lah

Comment

• Inshin
                        • Jul 2020

Gassho, J

STLah
                        I found this movie very interesting. All the Teachers sincerely replying in the simmilar manner, and suddenly there's Master Jion with cold stone face barking at the interviewer. I wasn't sure if it was an act, because he knows that Old Masters replied like that to questions, or if he was coming from a place of understanding (possibly both) - face of an interviewer : priceless

Gassho
                        Sat

Comment

• floke
                          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Kokuu
                          I can Zazen on my bike
                          I can Zazen on my bus

Gassho
                          Kokuu
                          -sattoday/madeupnonsenserhymeswithfloke!-

Gassho
                          Steve
                          sat:today

Comment

• sreed
                            • Dec 2018

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
                            Gassho, Jundo and all

Yes, I was going for a Suessian vibe there.
                            -Sara
                            ST

Comment

• Seishin
                              • Aug 2016

Interesting topic Sara

Personally I think there are many forms of zazen but sitting is sitting. I frequently log Carzen on Insight Timer, well at least every 28 days when my wife gets her heart check up. Then there is Treadmill Zen (TMZ) which I experience whenever I run (or Wherever I May Roam if Kyonin is reading ) on the ....well you guessed it Treadmill but also on the pavement or tracks. TMZ could be related to runners high and I recall Jundo some time back talking about Nishijima having similar experiences as he was also a runner. For me there is a difference between Runners High and TMZ. The former is like a floating no effort sensation where you could carry on running for kalpas but it last just a few moments. But TMZ is more a thoughtless clear mind type of running, like sitting difficult to explain. I run with variety of tempo playlist and all are pretty hard rock, hence a nudge to our Metallica loving Kyonin but TMZ rises above the music and it becomes running beyond thoughtless thought where I get lost in the physical activity.

Then there is the Zazen of Robert Pirsig (perhaps my first intro to Zen). I have ridden bikes all my live since my mid teens and now mid 60s but there is a special relationship between man (woman) and motorcycle. It is the oneness of all oneness, the absolute absolute of suchness. Its the response to that age old question "why do you ride a motorcycle" if you have to ask, you will never understand why. If Dogen was alive today he would ride. Just be Just ride. As the old Harley marketing machine says " Live To Ride. Ride To Live".

Biker Zazen thank you Robert, thank you Gudo thank you Dogen. Simples

Sat lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
                              Shin - Heart

Comment

Working...