X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Re: the stink of traditions

Let's me nice here in our words and thoughts to Mr. Namdrol.

Let us direct much Metta toward him.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Undo
      • Jun 2007

Just for the record, I'm Namdrol.

Comment

• disastermouse

Originally posted by Jundo

Gassho, Jundo
        We can be nice. But we can also be realistic. His heart's probably in the right place.

Comment

• Aswini
          • Apr 2008

no.........i'm namdrol!!

Attached files

Comment

• chicanobudista
            • Mar 2008

Gassho, Jundo
            To tell you the truth, I find his posts on Tibetan Buddhism very informative.
            paz,
            Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• Bansho
              • Apr 2007

Hi disastermouse,

Originally posted by disastermouse
              I call bullshit on this. The teachers should be reigning in this behavior - and whoever gave Namdrol teaching credentials should definitely have his head checked.
              Well, I was rather speaking generally and wasn't referring to anyone in particular. BTW I was thrown out of e-sangha myself for expressing my intention of freely discussing Soto Zen in the Soto Zen forum. :wink:

Gassho
              Ken
              ??

Comment

• Kevin Solway
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by clyde
                I am not well-versed in Varjayana, but I have not read a Varja text nor heard a teaching given by an established Varjayana teacher that displays the arrogance I sense in some Varja students. Let us not dismiss Varjayana because of the conduct of some followers.
                Yet what are the "established Vajrayana teachers" doing to reign-in their students on e-sangha?

Nothing at all, it would seem. In my view, that says a lot.

Comment

• Kevin Solway
                  • Dec 2008

Re: Namdrol
                  Originally posted by chicanobudista
                  To tell you the truth, I find his posts on Tibetan Buddhism very informative.
                  Yes, but so is reading a book. So long as Namdrol doesn't go any further than regurgitating texts, he can't do all that much damage. But he goes further than that, and goes beyond his station.

Comment

• Kevin Solway
                    • Dec 2008

I would like to see the Dalai Lama step forwards and make a clear, unequivocal statement with regards to his beliefs on rebirth. One gets the impression that he has serious doubts about it himself, since whenever he talks about rebirth he often does so in a joking manner - as though he feels guilty about something. But he never comes out and says directly what is on his mind.

All he needs to say is, "I don't know whether the idea of literal rebirth is true or not". Now that's not too much to ask, is it?

Sure, Tibetan Buddhism would fall apart at the seams - but that's long overdue.

Comment

• Jundo
                      • Apr 2006

Hi Kevin,

I am a "different paths up the mountain for different folks" kind of Buddhist* ... though I think the path I walk is a fine one, a way I know well and appreciate. Thus I recommend it to others.

But, in the end, what is important is not the path, but the mountain.

Gassho, Jundo

*Perhaps it need not even be a "Buddhist" path

Comment

• chicanobudista
                        • Mar 2008

I had already forgotten about my post or this issue. :shock: I still go to e-Sangha, but I limit myself to lurking.
                        paz,
                        Erik

Flor de Nopal Sangha

Comment

• Tb
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by disastermouse
                          It's a large part of why the TB path puts me off.
                          Hi.

Was that a pun at me ? :shock:

May the force be with you
                          Tb
                          Life is our temple and its all good practice
                          Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• ScottyDoo
                            • Aug 2008

It's interesting to me that I come across this topic today...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as I meditate on my personal journey. I'm fairly new to Buddhism compared to many and am finding myself in the first time with a teacher/student relationship. My sangha asked a teacher, who had been offering guidance to the group for the last few years, to officially become our spiritual guide and teacher. With this as well, there is a form tie to the Drikung Kagyu lineage and her Lama, Garchen Rinpoche. That's all fine and dandy, no issues there.

I, as many do, come from a Christian background, and I find the bad taste still remains in my mouth. This leaves me very skeptical when it comes to many things, and my sensors are going off many times as I do more research into the lineage, it's teachings, beliefs, etc. The major warning bells go off for me when it comes to practices like Guru Yoga, Phowa, and with the closing, long life prayers we recite in our meetings. I am all for respecting our teachers, but some of this just seems to go a bit far for me and gives off the feeling of deifying them and/or worshiping them.

Am I just too sensitive given my past issues with Christianity?

I think this is one of the things that initially drew me to zen, as I didn't come across the more esoteric and "out there" (imho) practices I'm encountering with Tibetan.

On another note, one of the sangha members said she was grateful to have a sangha from the Tibetan side of things as she in the past year met with a local group of zen practitioners and encountered what many would consider the "stink of zen". She said they were very arrogant and told her if she didn't have the heart sutra memorized within the next couple meetings then she was no longer welcome to meet with them. She's an EXTREMELY sensitive woman, so it may not have transpired exactly like that, but all I know is that I've been trying to track down this group and have been unsuccessful. I had no idea there were any zen practitioners in my small remote town.
                            ScottyDoo - The Lazy Buddhist

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

Hi Scotty,

One question I want to ask: Are you practicing Shikantaza?

That is about the one thing expected in these doors anyway (that, and to be kind to each other). I am not an advocate of mixing Shikantaza with most Tibetan Practices, and I am truly quite critical of the mix&match approach.

Gassho, Jundo

Comment

• ScottyDoo
                                • Aug 2008

Hi Scotty,

One question I want to ask: Are you practicing Shikantaza?

That is about the one thing expected in these doors anyway (that, and to be kind to each other). I am not an advocate of mixing Shikantaza with most Tibetan Practices, and I am truly quite critical of the mix&match approach.

Gassho, Jundo
                                That is what I am currently practicing in my personal practice, though as a sangha it has been requested that we do another as a group, though it is very similar to Shikantaza, which is why she has said she has no problems with my choice of personal meditation.

I'm not a fan of the mix & match approach too much, though I admit that's been my experience so far as I'm discovering my path. I read and am taught many different types of meditation, but I just can't drop Shikantaza, and have a hard time doing others, it just sits well with me I guess. (no pun intended).
                                ScottyDoo - The Lazy Buddhist

Comment

Working...