Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bayamo
    • Nov 2009

no goal vs motivation

it is important to have "no goal" towards ones practice, but is it harmful to have "motivation"? I mean, I sit zazen ("really sit", cross legged) first thing in the morning and last thing (well, second to last, I pray afterwards) before bed. I "mindfully" ride the bus to and from work using a meditation app. And I look forward to these moments. I like the calmness, I like how my "downtime" helps me in my interactions with others, I like how it helps me keep (or at least trying to keep) in the moment throughout the day. Is this a type of goal?
    #sattoday
    Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
    Carl Carlson
  • Jishin
    • Oct 2012

Hi,

It sounds exausting like swimming upstream.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_

Comment

• Meitou
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by bayamo
      it is important to have "no goal" towards ones practice, but is it harmful to have "motivation"? I mean, I sit zazen ("really sit", cross legged) first thing in the morning and last thing (well, second to last, I pray afterwards) before bed. I "mindfully" ride the bus to and from work using a meditation app. And I look forward to these moments. I like the calmness, I like how my "downtime" helps me in my interactions with others, I like how it helps me keep (or at least trying to keep) in the moment throughout the day. Is this a type of goal?
      #sattoday
      Hi Bayamo,
      You might be interested in this recent thread, where people are discussing 'the goal-less goal' of practice.

In the June 7-8 Zazenkai, Rev. Kyonin gave a wonderful talk on “Outline of Practice of Master Bodhidharma.” There is one part of Bodhidharma's writing that I’m having trouble with, though, that of “seeking nothing.” I have a very clear goal, and derive much joy from progressing toward that goal. Much of my energy is spent on

Gassho
      Meitou
      sattodaylah
      命 Mei - life
      島 Tou - island

Comment

• bayamo
        • Nov 2009

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
        Oh, yeah. If I didn't have inner peace, I'd go completely psycho on all you guys all the time.
        Carl Carlson

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Meitou
          Hi Bayamo,
          You might be interested in this recent thread, where people are discussing 'the goal-less goal' of practice.

In the June 7-8 Zazenkai, Rev. Kyonin gave a wonderful talk on “Outline of Practice of Master Bodhidharma.” There is one part of Bodhidharma's writing that I’m having trouble with, though, that of “seeking nothing.” I have a very clear goal, and derive much joy from progressing toward that goal. Much of my energy is spent on

Gassho
          Meitou
          sattodaylah
          Thank you. I feel that this "no goal" aspect is very much misunderstood. Here was my response in that thread.

Yes, there are times to sit without goal at all, such as during Zazen or Kinhin, when our only goal is to sit to sit, walk this walk. If riding the bus and practicing there ... ride to just ride. As the bus moves forward, there is no place to go!

However, if we truly had no goal, we could not function. I have goals all day, from pick up the kids at school to go to the gym to dust the house.

Much better is to learn to experience life two ways at once as one, not one not two: Namely, goals AND goallessness AT ONCE! Climbing, working, planning, multi-tasking, striving ... yet also just this and this and this, here and here and here, experienced back and forth as if seeing the world two (not two) different ways.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
          Last edited by Jundo; 06-14-2019, 12:40 AM.
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• bayamo
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Jundo
            Thank you. I feel that this "no goal" aspect is very much misunderstood. Here was my response in that thread.

Yes, there are times to sit without goal at all, such as during Zazen or Kinhin, when our only goal is to sit to sit, walk this walk. If riding the bus and practicing there ... ride to just ride. As the bus moves forward, there is no place to go!

However, if we truly had no goal, we could not function. I have goals all day, from pick up the kids at school to go to the gym to dust the house.

Much better is to learn to experience life two ways at once as one, not one not two: Namely, goals AND goallessness AT ONCE! Climbing, working, planning, multi-tasking, striving ... yet also just this and this and this, here and here and here, experienced back and forth as if seeing the world two (not two) different ways.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
            Think I need this, but I understand all of it and nothing at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
            Carl Carlson

Comment

• Jakuden
              • Jun 2015

It sounds great to me, as long as you aren't expecting to "get" something in particular out of it. Actually, it sounds a lot like what I think of as "Bodhicitta." The mind of awakening, or the desire for enlightenment out of compassion for others.

Gassho,
              Jakuden
              SatToday/LAH

Comment

Working...