ears ringing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ugrok
    • Sep 2014

Well, i'm aware of it, of course, and have been for a long time... So i don't act on it anymore, for example, and i refuse to let stupid stuff ruin my life. But still, the game is playing, and still, it makes me suffer, because i never really know if i should worry or not, for example. How can you know for sure that this little itch is not something really bad ?

Good example with that ear thing : i assumed that it was my hypochondriac side creating the whistling, when in fact this time there apparently was "real" waxy stuff going on... So i can never trust what i feel, and that leads to doubt and fear of course ! It's not the first time that i did not go immediately to the doc because i was almost sure that all of this was bullshitty mind games...

So the game plays but i cannot help but get involved in it, cause sometimes the game tells the truth, sometimes not...

Well, enough whining, back to work !

Gassho

Uggy
    Sat today

Comment

• Shinshi
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jul 2010

I did a rotation in a chronic pain clinic working with folks with tinnitus. I often went home thankful I didn't have it. Then, last year when I turned 60 - someone flicked the switch and I had it.

I notice it the most when going to sleep and sitting. I spent many hours trying to figure out a way to deal with it. Then decided, like many have already said, just to treat it like any other intrusion. No different than the wind howling - but a little different than a puppy crying to go out.

I find I still hear it, but the bothering has faded. Like so many things my discomfort came from the distance between the way I wanted to world to be (no tinnitus) and the way that it actually was. Once I accepted that my world now contains tinnitus - and that is small element in a much vaster world, - then it stopped bothering me as it did.
      空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
      I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
      E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Geika
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Jan 2010

Uggy, I also have anxiety like this, and I just want to let you know that I know how you feel. For me, it is not so bad this year, but it has come and gone before with years of panic attacks and a general feeling of unease all the time, usually set off by something small, like your ear blockage. For me, it was a bad tooth infection. Another time, though, a big thing, my mother's cancer. Before that, just a little change in medication for one week set me off for years. It is just how I am wired, I guess. Best thing I have ever learned to do is not play the game, but it doesn't always work. I know how hard it is to explain that while you know how silly and unproductive it is, you are still feeling it deeply. I'm sure a lot of people here can empathize.

Gassho, sat today, lah
        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

For those who don't know how overwhelming tinnitus can be for some people, a short film which recreates the experience and explains the sensation ...

Fifty million Americans have tinnitus or ringing in the ear, an illness that leads some to self harm and suicide. What are the symptoms of tinnitus and is there a cure?

Part of the cure, I am sure, involves acclimating the brain to ignore and "pay no nevermind" to the experience, must as we train in Shikantaza.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Ugrok
            • Sep 2014

Well yeah, during my readings i found this site about "tinnitus retraining therapy", and it involves spending daily time listening to the tinnitus without reacting.

Very interesting read overall :

Definitions of tinnitus and related conditions which can be treated by tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT)

Comment

Working...