X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Byokan
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Apr 2014

Hi All,

so much great advice! Another seating option is the V-shaped cushion, like this:

As you can see it's thicker in back and thinner in front, to encourage the proper pelvic tilt and eliminate the front edge of the zafu putting any pressure on the back of the thighs. You can adjust the level of filling to your preference. It looks funny but I have one and I like it. Happy sitting!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Comment

• Victor
      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Byokan
      Hi All,

so much great advice! Another seating option is the V-shaped cushion, like this:

As you can see it's thicker in back and thinner in front, to encourage the proper pelvic tilt and eliminate the front edge of the zafu putting any pressure on the back of the thighs. You can adjust the level of filling to your preference. It looks funny but I have one and I like it. Happy sitting!

Gassho
      Byōkan
      sat + lah
      Thank you for sharing this option! It's definitely something to keep in mind!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Comment

• Jundo
        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
        • Apr 2006

I don't think that "one size fits all" on the Zafu.

Everybody ... every body ... is different. It really is just something to sit on comfortably, with some support, balance and stability, and then forget about.

I do want to recommend this book again to all our sitters, especially folks struggling with posture a bit. Also some Zen folks can be quite obsessive about getting the posture "right," I am more fluid in my views toward posture, much as this book discusses.

Book Recommendation: - THE POSTURE OF MEDITATION
        Hi, I would like to recommend a book about, and entitled, "THE POSTURE OF MEDITATION" (by Will Johnson). http://www.amazon.com/Posture-Meditation-Will-Johnson/dp/1570622329/ref=pd_sim_b_1 I believe that its philosophy of finding a sitting posture is very much as we encourage here at Treeleaf, namely, we each have

Most Zafu, in my experience, are between 5 - 8 inches (150-250 cm) off the floor which should be perfectly fine for individuals of almost any height. Bigger people usually benefit from a bigger cushion, and small people from a small cushion. It is best not to be too high because you’ll be sitting at a forward angle most of the time and your knees should be able to touch the floor.

This is one reason you may wish to get a buckwheat cushion (or make one!) and experiment with the quantity of stuffing inside. Same with a seiza bench (which, by the way, is also pretty cheap and easy to make with minimum woodworking skills, and a quick trip to the home improvement store.) Then, you can experiment with raising or lowering a bit until it "feels okay."

However, most important is not to obsess and fetishize the cushion, and getting it "just right."

Frankly, there is a tendency in some corners of Japanese Zen to obsess about getting the posture "just right." This is a concern not generally found in other flavors of Buddhism and meditation in other cultures in Asia. To make a long story short, throughout Japanese culture (not only in Zen) there is a lovely fixation with "proper" form. It is wonderful, and leads to everything from baseball to tea ceremony that is very beautiful. However, it also can lead to certain powers and unsupported (pun intended) physiological attributes being attributed to precise posture, e.g., that it results in certain mysterious Ki and like energy flows in the body. Baloney.

Middle way here: There are balanced ways to sit which are comfortable and do not cause pain, and unbalanced ways to sit which are uncomfortable and cause pain. Every body is different, find the comfortable way for you then ...

Find a comfortable, stable and balanced way to sit that lets you sit for long periods. Realize that it may need a "tweek" now and then during the sitting period as the body settles ... then forget about it, and just sit. There is no more a "proper" form for sitting than a "proper" form for riding a bicycle on a Sunday afternoon. If it feels right and comfortable, it is.

Here is Taigu's always very wise and common sense advice on using and purchasing a Zafu ...

Gassho, jundo

STLah
        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jakuden
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Jundo

h
          I love that sign, it’s on the Belt Parkway near where I grew up :-) There’s one that says “Oy Vey” too!!!

Gassho
          Jakuden
          SatToday/LAH

Comment

• Timchenko_Oleg
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jundo
            I don't think that "one size fits all" on the Zafu.

Everybody ... every body ... is different. It really is just something to sit on comfortably, with some support, balance and stability, and then forget about.

I do want to recommend this book again to all our sitters, especially folks struggling with posture a bit. Also some Zen folks can be quite obsessive about getting the posture "right," I am more fluid in my views toward posture, much as this book discusses.

Book Recommendation: - THE POSTURE OF MEDITATION
            Hi, I would like to recommend a book about, and entitled, "THE POSTURE OF MEDITATION" (by Will Johnson). http://www.amazon.com/Posture-Meditation-Will-Johnson/dp/1570622329/ref=pd_sim_b_1 I believe that its philosophy of finding a sitting posture is very much as we encourage here at Treeleaf, namely, we each have

Most Zafu, in my experience, are between 5 - 8 inches (150-250 cm) off the floor which should be perfectly fine for individuals of almost any height. Bigger people usually benefit from a bigger cushion, and small people from a small cushion. It is best not to be too high because you’ll be sitting at a forward angle most of the time and your knees should be able to touch the floor.

This is one reason you may wish to get a buckwheat cushion (or make one!) and experiment with the quantity of stuffing inside. Same with a seiza bench (which, by the way, is also pretty cheap and easy to make with minimum woodworking skills, and a quick trip to the home improvement store.) Then, you can experiment with raising or lowering a bit until it "feels okay."

However, most important is not to obsess and fetishize the cushion, and getting it "just right."

Frankly, there is a tendency in some corners of Japanese Zen to obsess about getting the posture "just right." This is a concern not generally found in other flavors of Buddhism and meditation in other cultures in Asia. To make a long story short, throughout Japanese culture (not only in Zen) there is a lovely fixation with "proper" form. It is wonderful, and leads to everything from baseball to tea ceremony that is very beautiful. However, it also can lead to certain powers and unsupported (pun intended) physiological attributes being attributed to precise posture, e.g., that it results in certain mysterious Ki and like energy flows in the body. Baloney.

Middle way here: There are balanced ways to sit which are comfortable and do not cause pain, and unbalanced ways to sit which are uncomfortable and cause pain. Every body is different, find the comfortable way for you then ...

Find a comfortable, stable and balanced way to sit that lets you sit for long periods. Realize that it may need a "tweek" now and then during the sitting period as the body settles ... then forget about it, and just sit. There is no more a "proper" form for sitting than a "proper" form for riding a bicycle on a Sunday afternoon. If it feels right and comfortable, it is.

Here is Taigu's always very wise and common sense advice on using and purchasing a Zafu ...

Gassho, jundo

STLah
            Thank you very much, Jundo
            [emoji120][emoji3262]

Gassho,
            Oleg
            Sat today, Lend a Hand

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

I posted this before, making some fun at the Japanese emphasis on "proper form."

Let's just say that about 1/4 of the following is true ...

;:゙;`(;゚;ж;゚; )ブフォッ!

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• ZenHarmony
                • Feb 2012

Hi, Victor!

I have some serious issues with my back/hips/pelvis and what has helped the most (and can help anyone who sits for any length of time in their day) is piriformis exercises. They literally reset the position of your pelvis, which eases the pressure off your sciatic nerve.

Stretching exercises that target the piriformis, hamstrings, and hip extensors can help decrease piriformis muscle pain in the buttock and improve the range of motion in the lower back and pelvic region.

Gassho,

Lauren

st, lah always!

Comment

• Tai Do
                  • Jan 2019

Thank you, Jundo, Taigu and Lauren.
                  Your suggestions will be very helpful. I'll buy the suggested book and do the exercises.
                  Gassho,
                  Mateus
                  Sat/LAH
                  怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
                  (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Comment

• Victor
                    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by ZenHarmony
                    Hi, Victor!

I have some serious issues with my back/hips/pelvis and what has helped the most (and can help anyone who sits for any length of time in their day) is piriformis exercises. They literally reset the position of your pelvis, which eases the pressure off your sciatic nerve.

Stretching exercises that target the piriformis, hamstrings, and hip extensors can help decrease piriformis muscle pain in the buttock and improve the range of motion in the lower back and pelvic region.

Gassho,

Lauren

st, lah always!
                    Thanks so much!

Gassho!

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Comment

• Timchenko_Oleg
                      • Oct 2017

It is better to sew an individual zafu :-)

Gassho,
                      Oleg
                      Sat today, Lend a Hand
                      Last edited by Timchenko_Oleg; 05-10-2019, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• Ryumon
                        • Apr 2007

I think it’s common among meditators to assume that this pain is normal. It’s not, at least not always. I’m actually off to see a vascular surgeon tomorrow about issues with circulation in my right leg. So don’t just assume that you need to work through the pain; it could be a serious medical issue that needs attention.

Gassho,

Kirk
                        I know nothing.

Comment

• Victor
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by kirkmc
                          I think it’s common among meditators to assume that this pain is normal. It’s not, at least not always. I’m actually off to see a vascular surgeon tomorrow about issues with circulation in my right leg. So don’t just assume that you need to work through the pain; it could be a serious medical issue that needs attention.

Gassho,

Kirk
                          Thanks! I'll definitely bear that in mind.

Gassho
                          V

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kirkmc

Gassho,

Kirk
                            Yes. If a condition persists no matter what is done, or is extreme or unusual, talk to a doctor!

We will sit for your leg, Kirk.

Gassho, J

SatToday, lah

Comment

• GrasshopperMan17
                              • Jan 2021

thank you all so much for the various bits of advice on this thread i am dealing with my legs falling asleep too, and from this thread ive learned how to prepare my zafu before meditation, that i probably should stretch before practice, and that i should invest in a zabuton cushion. you all have been extremely helpful, and i am grateful.

Gassho,
                              John

Comment

• GrasshopperMan17
                                • Jan 2021

I just sat comfortably and without distractions for 15 minutes today thanks to the advice in this thread. thank you all so much!

Gassho, John

Comment

Working...