Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitka
    • May 2017

Joriki in Soto

So among the books about Zen that I was reading a year ago, the one that led me here, ironically enough, was Three Pillars of Zen by Phillip Kapleau. Since then I have learned the differences between this community and the kind of practice represented in this book. But I was wondering one thing. They talk a lot about joriki, or concentration, in the book, and how it is necessary to cultivate to achieve an opening of the mind. Now, understanding that the Soto sect isn't so much concerned at attaining a Great Awakening, unlike the Zen portrated in Kapleau's book... is there yet still some use for joriki in shikantaza?

What is the Soto account of joriki?
    Peace begins inside
  • Shinshi
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Matthew
    So among the books about Zen that I was reading a year ago, the one that led me here, ironically enough, was Three Pillars of Zen by Phillip Kapleau. Since then I have learned the differences between this community and the kind of practice represented in this book. But I was wondering one thing. They talk a lot about joriki, or concentration, in the book, and how it is necessary to cultivate to achieve an opening of the mind. Now, understanding that the Soto sect isn't so much concerned at attaining a Great Awakening, unlike the Zen portrated in Kapleau's book... is there yet still some use for joriki in shikantaza?

What is the Soto account of joriki?
    There is a thread about it here:

The recent thread about counting the breath led me to this question. Prior to joining Treeleaf, I had read some varying opinions from other sources about Zazen and breath-counting in the development of "joriki," or (as I understood it) the "power" to re-focus the mind on the breath rather than allowing it to

HTH

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Mitka
      • May 2017

Originally posted by Shinshi

The recent thread about counting the breath led me to this question. Prior to joining Treeleaf, I had read some varying opinions from other sources about Zazen and breath-counting in the development of "joriki," or (as I understood it) the "power" to re-focus the mind on the breath rather than allowing it to

HTH

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
      Hey thanks Shinshi, I should have done a title search first.

Gassho,

Matthew

SAT
      Peace begins inside

Comment

• Shinshi
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Matthew
        Hey thanks Shinshi, I should have done a title search first.

Gassho,

Matthew

SAT
        Glad to help. And I think it is often good to revisit a topic. Maybe some new perspectives will come up.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
        空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
        I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
        E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Jakuden
          • Jun 2015

It’s interesting to reread this! I’m glad Jundo helped me to let go of this obstacle, which probably stemmed from all the years in college trying to figure out how to study harder [emoji12] Maybe I’m still not concentrating hard enough, as I have yet to levitate!

Seriously though, I once thought that Shikantaza would perhaps train my brain and reverse my attention issues. It has helped, but not in the way I envisioned, (which was that I would somehow have more power and control over my mind). Instead, it has helped by reducing the resistance and negative thought patterns that obstruct the focus and effort. Which is basically exactly what Jundo says in that thread, about dropping resistance.

Gassho
          Jakuden
          SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jundo
            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Shinshi

HTH

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
            Thank you for finding that.

I will add one small footnote. These past weeks I have been helping my daughter learn to ride a bike and get up on inline skates. When she was tense and "trying," she struggled. When she fully relaxed, let things be, put the struggle down, let natural balance happen ... she just rolled. There is some commonality to our Practice. The less we try and the less we force, a natural center point is attained.

It is, however, a center point so centered that it stays up on both sunny days and the days when life tosses at us the greatest wind or rain. It is the center of a hurricane. It is a center point so centered that it is centered both on the days when we feel "centered" and centered even on the days when we feel off center and off balance (much as the moon is still present on both clear days when seen and cloudy or stormy days when hidden and we just must have faith that the moon is still there).

Even more, it is a "staying up" that sometimes can fall right off the bike ... it is not only "good riding" when staying up ... because there is no place to fall (no place where the moon "goes" when it vanishes). Being on the skates and sometimes tumbling off are all good skating. This is the Koan of Zazen.

Many types of meditation are said to work only when one reaches a certain state, feels in the "Zone" or attains a deep samadhi concentration. Shikantaza is not quite so, although all that happens too. Sometimes the moon is seen, sometimes not, sometimes the light shines right through the clouds as one. All the same light of the moon. Thus, don't think that this "balance" is only the times that we feel balance, don't think that this "balance" is only when we keep balance, but keep faith that the moon always shines. A moment of Zazen is a moment of the moonlight shining, seen or unseen or both seen and unseen at once.

Gassho, J

STLah
            Last edited by Jundo; 04-23-2018, 12:36 AM.
            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Geika
              Treeleaf Unsui
              • Jan 2010

Nice metaphor for trying too hard: learning to ride skates or a bike. I remember learning to ride a unicycle when I was about fourteen, "trying" and "trying" and being unable to go more than a few feet before jumping off. I gave up off and on for weeks until I decided to "try" one more time and somehow ended up going all the way up the block. I didn't try anything different, but I had let go of the idea of getting anywhere and somehow my body just took off.

Gassho, sat today, lah
              求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
              I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Ryudo
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Jundo
                A moment of Zazen is a moment of the moonlight shining, seen or unseen or both seen and unseen at once.

Ryudo/SatToday
                流道
                Ryū Dou

Comment

• martyrob
                  • Jul 2015

Thank you Matthew for raising this question, Shinshi is right: it's good to re-visit these questions now and again. I remember the original thread, although I had forgotten it and Jakuden raised an interesting point as you have also and it's really useful to return to this subject.
                  There's a rich layer of mulch at the bottom of this Treeleaf which is good to fork over ever so often to reveal these little gems. Thanks everyone.

Martyn
                  Sat today

Comment

• Jakuden
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by martyrob
                    There's a rich layer of mulch at the bottom of this Treeleaf which is good to fork over ever so often to reveal these little gems.
                    This is so true!

Gassho
                    Jakuden
                    SatToday/LAH

Comment

Working...