X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kotei
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Seishin-Do
    On the Firewood & Ash analogy. I also look at it this way.

The firewood burns and creates ash.
    Firewood is firewood ash is ash
    Ash is also a good fertilizer
    Ash as fertilizer allows a tree to grow
    Once mature the tree is harvested for firewood
    The firewood burns and ................

Is this not rebirth? Just a thought. Too many of them this first week of Ango and Jukai.

Back to my logs.

Std

Toby

Sent from my MID2809 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Toby.

I am also moving quite some wood around, these days.

The atoms of my body, the carbon I exhale.
    The tree takes it all, from all of us, without distinction.
    Grows from it, makes sugar and starch and it's own body.
    Feeds us with it's fruits. Warms us with it's wood.
    Keeps us alive with our oxygen.
    We are not separate from each other and not from the tree.
    What is there to be born again?

The more I sit, the more I feel that I don't need to know and in a way, it doesn't matter.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 09-16-2017, 11:20 AM.
    義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Shinshou
      • May 2017

Originally posted by Lucy
      To be honest, I have a sense that I'm not really 'alive' or 'here' in the way I think I am, so from that point of view I'm kind of already 'dead'.

Gassho
      Lucy
      ST/LAH
      Well stated, Lucy, same with me. It's doesn't feel fatalistic, depressing, or mystical....just interesting.

Dan
      Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Entai
        • Jan 2013

I used to wonder and worry and look for theories. But I don't think about it very much anymore. If there was something before this, I don't remember it. So I don't worry about that. If something happens after this, I'm guessing it's the same sort of thing. Either way, I still have to get through today and that's plenty of work in itself.
        Gassho,
        Entai
        St /lah

泰 Entai (Bill)
        "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Comment

• Seishin
          • Aug 2016

Wonderful Kotei.

std

Sent from my MID2809 using Tapatalk

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
          Shin - Heart

Comment

• Sean
            • Jan 2017

I feel really grateful for this sangha. A question starts to form in your mind, and you do a search and there is so much wisdom and considered guidance to draw on.

Thank you

Gassho

Sat today

Comment

• Doshin
              • May 2015

Interesting discussion on how folks view this topic. Thank you. I will state from the start when I first heard of Buddhism and reincarnation a half century or more ago, in my youth of body and mind, I doubted it very strongly.

Now, all I know (but then maybe I should add but I don’t “know” ) is when I die my ashes will be spread in a mountain range that brought me much joy during my life (which reminds me that the next time my son visits I need to show him where ) My vision is that my molecules are absorbed by plants, then consumed by animals, then consumed by other animals and they will soar into the clouds, slither across the ground and hop into the woods. Then it repeats, and repeats again, in an ever increasing interconnectedness and so forth as it has always been and will be. That is the rebirth I am after. A long time ago I was at a retreat with Thich Nhat Hahn and he said something similar (of course more concisely and he referred to a flower) and I thought yep as I smiled. But then maybe I did not understand him Other than that, I don’t think on this much, my time now is the chopping wood and carrying water advocated around here. Reading this thread this morning allowed me to revisit this matter of importance and brought a smile of contentment.

Gassho

Doshin
              Stlah
              Last edited by Doshin; 10-08-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Jundo
                Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                • Apr 2006

When you smile, the whole universe smiiles. When you cry, the whole universe cries.

When you are born, the whole universe is born as you in this time and place. When you die, the whole universe dies.

Gassho, J

STLah
                ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Doshin
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Jundo
                  When you smile, the whole universe smiiles. When you cry, the whole universe cries.

When you are born, the whole universe is born as you in this time and place. When you die, the whole universe dies.

Gassho, J

STLah
                  Yep!

Doshin
                  Stlah

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

When you Yep! the whole universe Yeps!

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by Jundo
                      When you Yep! the whole universe Yeps!

Gassho
                      Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Emmet
                        • Nov 2011

The only heavens and hells which I am aware of are those which we create within our own minds, believe to be true, then proceed to inflict upon ourselves and each other.
                        If you believe in rebirth, I would suggest that you practice the Noble Eightfold Path, as it accrues spiritual merit leading to an auspicious rebirth.
                        If you don't believe in rebirth, I would suggest that you practice the Noble Eightfold Path, as it demonstrably leads to the amelioration of suffering in this life.

"For sixty years I have wandered through the various states of existence, forsaking the fundamental for the derivative, generating a great deal of enmity and distaste and bringing an unlimited amount of injury and discord upon others. My present suffering constitutes the fruition of my past crimes and karma, rather than anything bequeathed to me from any heavenly or human being. I shall accept it patiently and contentedly, without complaint...."

Simple, straightforward, and empirically demonstrable cause & effect, sans magical thinking, mysticism, and hocus pocus.

Sat today.
                        Last edited by Emmet; 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM.
                        Emmet

Comment

• Anka
                          • Mar 2017

Gassho Emmit,

James F
                          Sat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mattias
                            • Jul 2018

Thank you Emmet , absolutely beautiful.

Sat today

Comment

• Sean
                              • Jan 2017

Thanks Emmet. I do love how Bodhidharma just gets to the crux of the matter! He is my go to at the moment.

Gassho

Sat today

Comment

• Jundo
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Emmet

"For sixty years I have wandered through the various states of existence, forsaking the fundamental for the derivative, generating a great deal of enmity and distaste and bringing an unlimited amount of injury and discord upon others. My present suffering constitutes the fruition of my past crimes and karma, rather than anything bequeathed to me from any heavenly or human being. I shall accept it patiently and contentedly, without complaint...."
                                Just to clarify the record, as far as I can tell, the original begins: ""For innumerable eons I have wandered through the various states of existence ... "

Of course, every moment is all time, and an instant or 60 years is "innumerable eons," so no telling just how long or short that is either.

It is from the "Treatise on the Two Entrances and Four Practices," maybe the only writing attributed to Bodhidharma that, historians believe, actually has a good possibility of actually being by Bodhidharma or someone in his close circle and not another author.

I've been reading the Zen Teachings of Bodhidharma (Red Pine Translation) and I feel somewhat blown away...to the point of - do I ever need to read another Zen/Buddhist book again? Although I've known who Bodhidharma is for a long time, I've kind of steered clear of him, perhaps because of the fierce look? :mad: It felt like

Gassho, J

STLah
                                Last edited by Jundo; 10-11-2018, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Working...