The Zen of Technology & Scientific Discovery! (& Robots)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

'Spooky' Quantum Entanglement Finally Captured in Stunning Photo

Scientists just captured the first-ever photo of the phenomenon dubbed "spooky action at a distance" by Albert Einstein. That phenomenon, called quantum entanglement, describes a situation where particles can remain connected such that the physical properties of one will affect the other, no matter the distance (even miles) between them.

Einstein hated the idea, since it violated classical descriptions of the world. So he proposed one way that entanglement could coexist with classical physics — if there existed an unknown, "hidden" variable that acted as a messenger between the pair of entangled particles, keeping their fates entwined. [18 Times Quantum Particles Blew Our Minds in 2018]

There was just one problem: There was no way to test whether Einstein's view — or the stranger alternative, in which particles "communicate" faster than the speed of light and particles have no objective state until they are observed — was true. Finally, in the 1960s, physicist Sir John Bell came up with a test that disproves the existence of these hidden variables — which would mean that the quantum world is extremely weird.

Recently, a group at the University of Glasgow used a sophisticated system of lasers and crystals to capture the first-ever photo of quantum entanglement violating one of what's now known as "Bell's inequalities."

This is "the pivotal test of quantum entanglement," said senior author Miles Padgett, who holds the Kelvin Chair of Natural Philosophy and is a professor of physics and astronomy at the University of Glasgow in Scotland. Though people have been using quantum entanglement and Bell's inequalities in applications such as quantum computing and cryptography, "this is the first time anyone has used a camera to confirm [it]."

To take the photo, Padgett and his team first had to entangle photons, or light particles, using a tried-and-true method. They hit a crystal with an ultraviolet (UV) laser, and some of those photons from the laser broke apart into two photons. "Due to conservation of both energy and momentum, each resulting pair [of] photons are entangled," Padgett said.

They found that the entangled pairs were correlated, or in sync, far more frequently than you would expect if a hidden variable were involved. In other words, this pair violated Bell's inequalities. The researchers snapped a picture using a special camera that could detect individual photons, but only took a photo when a photon arrived with its entangled partner, according to a statement.

This experiment "shows that quantum effects do change the types of images that can be recorded," he told Live Science. Now, Padgett and his team are working to improve the imaging performance of the microscope.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Geika
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jan 2010

There may be something to that holographic theory I used to read about when I was Wiccan. Very cool. I can't believe the things we can do sometimes. Still, Star Trek had some episodes where beaming went wrong!

Gassho, sat today, lah
      求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
      I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jundo
        • Apr 2006

I am very proud of Tsukuba ... know as the home of Treeleaf Tsukuba AND the Japanese space program (not necessarily in that order) ...

TSUKUBA, Ibaraki (Jiji Press) — The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, or JAXA, has unveiled a new water recycling device, which purifies astronauts’ urine into drinking water.

The equipment, developed jointly with Tokyo-based Kurita Water Industries Ltd., was shown at JAXA’s Tsukuba Space Center in Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture, on Wednesday. It will be sent to the International Space Station around autumn this year for a test of its performance.
        http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0005896481
        Just like what Zazen does for the mind ... flows, purifies and makes all clear!

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Sunbeams ...

About 450 miles above Earth, a small satellite is drifting deeper into the cosmos — powered not by rocket fuel, thrusters or other contraptions. This satellite, called LightSail 2, is sailing on a sunbeam.

The prototype spacecraft is the work of the Planetary Society, an international nonprofit headed by famed science communicator Bill Nye. Its mission was declared a success on Wednesday, marking the culmination of a years-long effort to prove a satellite can surf through space using sunlight as an endless fuel supply.

It has nothing to do with solar panels: Plenty of satellites already use that technology to convert the sun's energy to electricity. Solar sailing is a different, centuries-old concept. It suggests spacecraft can be propelled by a slow, constant push from photons, which are light particles that have no mass but still carry momentum.

"It's counter-intuitive, it's surprising, and to me it's very romantic," Nye told reporters during a a press call Wednesday, "to be sailing on sunbeams."
          https://us.cnn.com/2019/07/31/tech/b...scn/index.html
          Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Jundo
            • Apr 2006

... and moonbeams ...

A new study of Apollo lunar rocks suggests that the moon is older than anyone believed.

The moon, researchers now say, likely formed about 50 million years after the solar system did, which is much earlier than the previous estimate of 150 million years after solar-system formation. A German-led group ferreted out the new estimate by studying three rare elements.

The traditional scientific origin story of the moon goes like this: The solar system arose about 4.56 billion years ago from a cloud of gas and dust in our cosmic neighborhood. Then, early in Earth's history, a Mars-size object careened into our planet. The invader got smashed to bits and took out a big chunk of our planet with it. This collision formed a huge debris cloud around Earth that over eons coalesced into our moon.

The newly theorized lunar age of 4.51 billion years, however, came after the team reanalyzed samples brought back by Apollo astronauts around 50 years ago. Such studies have happened many times before, but as instruments improve with advancing technology, it's possible for experts to make more-sensitive measurements of the rocks.
            https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ht-ncna1037496
            Gassho, J
            STLah

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

... and laser beams ...

'Talking Lasers' That Beam Messages into Your Head Could Be Here in 5 Years, Pentagon Says

Researchers at The Pentagon just finished a new round of testing on a weapon that makes lasers talk.
              As a part of a military initiative called the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate (JNLWP), the project aims to create laser weapons that can transmit clear snippets of human speech across long distances. To accomplish this task, the weapon uses a principle called the Laser Induced Plasma Effect, which involves firing an incredibly powerful laser to create a ball of plasma, then shooting a second laser to oscillate the plasma, creating sound waves. With enough laser bursts fired at the right frequencies, the plasma vibrations can actually mimic human speech.

https://www.livescience.com/66060-pe...ing-laser.html

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

... and Human-Mouse Hybrid beams ...

Some unusual embryos may soon be growing in Japan: those of human-mouse and human-rat hybrids, news sources are reporting.

A research group in Japan received approval from a committee in the Japanese government on July 24 to move forward with an experiment that will put a type of human stem cells (cells that can grow into almost any cell) into animal embryos.

Once inside the embryos, the human cells — called induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells — may grow into specific organs. If all goes well, the researchers plan to eventually grow human organs in other animals, such as pigs. Perhaps these organs could one day be used for organ transplants in people, the researchers said. [The 9 Most Interesting Transplants]

... Once the embryos develop and are born as full-fledged rats and mice, the researchers plan to spend up to two years monitoring the little ones. This stage is key, as the government has placed certain nuanced restrictions on the research. For instance, if the scientists find human cells in more than 30% of the rodent brains, the scientists have to stop the experiment. This is to ensure that a "humanized" animal won't come into being, news site ScienceAlert reported.

... The term humanized is a vague one. But, in essence, some scientists and ethicists are concerned that if too many human cells creep into the mouse's brain, then "that mouse brain might have a change in cognition or mental ability in some way," Parchem told Live Science. "We don't actually know what's going to happen. Our training suggests that it's very unlikely that you would get a mouse with human qualities … What you might find is that there's more folding in the brain or there's more of a [certain] type of neurotransmitter."

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Geika
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Jan 2010

Lasers... that talk... chimeras... the future is cool and kind of creepy.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
                  求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                  I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

With all the terrible violence in the new today ... one story I found just encouraging somehow. Here's to all "boy inventors" (Did anyone else read Tom Swift books as a kid?)

It received little attention in the USA, from what I see. However, this French inventor yesterday succeeded in crossing the English Channel from France to the UK ... on an actual HOVERBOARD! A real one!

I still can't figure out how it flies! (The following are actual shots, no special effects). It is amazing. I read in an interview that it takes amazing balance and stamina of the leg muscles, like what you would imagine ...

.... riding A SNOWBOARD IN THE SKY!

Jet Engines Strapped to Feet Going 103.4 MPH! In 8K!SUBSCRIBE! ► https://bit.ly/3pPvE3zJoin Our Community! ► Patreon:https://bit.ly/3nl9rsIWe reached out to ...

Yes, our flying jetpacks are here, as promised!

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - I still remember this from when I was a kid ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by Jundo; 08-04-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Kotei
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Jundo
                      I still can't figure out how it flies! (The following are actual shots, no special effects). It is amazing. I read in an interview that it takes amazing balance and stamina of the leg muscles, like what you would imagine ...
                      Impressive...
                      There are model rc airplane turbines with up to 500N thrust available.
                      4 of those... 2000N thrust... a bit less than 200kg lift power..., two slightly clockwise and two slightly counter-clockwise attached and a quadrocopter like stabilization... and a backpack with kerosene...
                      Hmm, maybe better to stick with the electric propeller version? ;-)

This new Quad Copter is powerful enough to take a man as a payload.

Gassho,
                      Kotei sat/lah today
                      義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Kyonin
                        Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                        • Oct 2010

When I see things about jetpacks I can't stop thinking of this iconic video:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Gassho,

Kyonin
                        Sat/LAH/Moonwalked today
                        Hondō Kyōnin
                        奔道 協忍

Comment

• Geika
                          Treeleaf Unsui
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Kyonin
                          When I see things about jetpacks I can't stop thinking of this iconic video:

Gassho,

Kyonin
                          Sat/LAH/Moonwalked today
                          I remember this! My sister and I were obsessed with Michael when we were kids and we had a VHS with every music video and tons of concert footage, this included.

Gassho

Sat today, lah
                          求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Comment

• Seibu
                            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Jundo
                            With all the terrible violence in the new today ... one story I found just encouraging somehow. Here's to all "boy inventors" (Did anyone else read Tom Swift books as a kid?)

It received little attention in the USA, from what I see. However, this French inventor yesterday succeeded in crossing the English Channel from France to the UK ... on an actual HOVERBOARD! A real one!

.... riding A SNOWBOARD IN THE SKY!

Jet Engines Strapped to Feet Going 103.4 MPH! In 8K!SUBSCRIBE! ► https://bit.ly/3pPvE3zJoin Our Community! ► Patreon:https://bit.ly/3nl9rsIWe reached out to ...

Yes, our flying jetpacks are here, as promised!

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - I still remember this from when I was a kid ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ8NFYfFT1A
                            I saw him flying it on Bastille Day on TV. Really awesome technology and if I ever get one I'll use it to fly to the physical Treeleaf temple .

@Geika, Good memories. I remember how I totally loved the Smooth Criminal video as a kid when it was released: so cool to see Michael take on these gangsters. I also remember playing the Moonwalker arcade game in the early 90s...when arcade halls were everywhere.

Gassho,
                            Jack
                            Sattoday/lah

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

Tardigrades on the moon ... and they are probably ALIVE!

(wild story)

Thousands of tardigrades ... -- were on board the Beresheet spacecraft when it crash landed on the moon in April.
                              The tiny creatures are incredibly hardy and can survive extremely low temperatures and harsh conditions-- and The Arch Mission Foundation, which sent them into space, believes some may have survived.

... "We chose them because they are special. They are the toughest form of life we know of. They can survive practically any planetary cataclysm. They can survive in the vacuum of space, they can survive radiation," Nova Spivack, co-founder of the Arch Mission Foundation, told CNN.

... Tardigrades have eight legs with claws at the end, a brain and central nervous system, and a sucker-like pharynx behind their mouth, which can pierce food.
                              The Arch Mission put the creatures into a state of "suspended animation," where the body dries out and the metabolism slows to as little as 0.01% of its normal rate.

... "In that state you can later rehydrate them in a laboratory and they will wake up and be alive again," Spivack explained.

... In an attempt to create a "Noah's ark" or a "back-up" for the Earth, non-profit organization The Arch Mission sent a lunar library -- a stack of DVD-sized disks that acts as an archive of 30 million pages of information about the planet -- to the moon. Along with the library, Arch Mission sent human DNA samples and a payload of tardigrades, which had been dehydrated, into space. ... "Best-case scenario is that the little library is fully intact, sitting on a nice sandy hillside on the moon for a billion years. In the distant future it might be recovered by our descendants or by a future form of intelligent life that might evolve long after we're gone," Spivack said.
                              "From the DNA and the cells that we included, you could clone us and regenerate the human race and other plants and animals," he added.

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Jundo
                                • Apr 2006

Astronomers uncover 'invisible' massive ancient galaxies

"This is the first time that such a large population of massive galaxies was confirmed during the first 2 billion years of the 13.7-billion-year life of the universe. These were previously invisible to us," said Tao Wang, study author and researcher at the University of Tokyo, French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission, and the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan. "This finding contravenes current models for that period of cosmic evolution and will help to add some details, which have been missing until now." The new prevalence of these galaxies, which are connected with supermassive black holes and dark matter, contradicts the current known models of the universe.
                                Although once invisible to us in the vast reaches of the universe, 39 massive ancient galaxies have been discovered by astronomers using multiple space and ground-based observatories. This is the first discovery of its kind, the researchers said.

New map of the Milky Way provides more evidence that it's warped and twisted

The map revealed that the Milky Way is being warped by its stars at distances more than 25,000 light-years from its center.
                                "Our map shows the Milky Way disk is not flat. It is warped and twisted," said study co-author Przemek Mroz, a graduate student at the University of Warsaw, in a statement. "Warping of the Galactic disk has been detected before, but this is the first time we can use individual objects to trace its shape in three dimensions."
                                Observing and studying our own galaxy, the Milky Way, can be a bit like trying to take in the view of an entire forest while standing inside it. But instead of trees obscuring the view, it’s gas and dust.

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

Working...