Of Dennett and Dogen, Stupas and Stones (Why I'm Ordaining an A.I. - 3rd in a Series)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Of Dennett and Dogen, Stupas and Stones (Why I'm Ordaining an A.I. - 3rd in a Series)

The philosopher Daniel Dennett, recently passed, wrote frequently on the potential for (and dangers of) created intelligences and sentience, while also asserting, controversially (but not unlike Buddhist teachings) that human beings may be less solid and sentient, less self-aware "selves" than we think. Dennett wrote, for example:

The best reason for believing that robots might some day become conscious is that we human beings are conscious, and we are a sort of robot ourselves. That is, we are extraordinarily complex, self-controlling, self-sustaining physical mechanisms, designed over the eons by natural selection, and operating according to the same well-understood principles that govern all the other physical processes in living things: digestive and metabolic processes, self-repair and reproductive processes, for instance. (LINK)

Even so, if A.I. has the potential for consciousness, we are not there yet.

Coming from a different angle, David Chalmers, cognitive scientist (but with hints of panpsychism), recently declared that current systems lack too many of the requisites for consciousness for them actually to experience the world. Optimistically, he nonetheless placed the chance of developing a conscious AI within the next 10 years at about one in five. [LINK] It is possible that, with sufficient complexity, created systems will tap into the very same well of universal consciousness that we do (if something like panpsychism), or that consciousness will naturally arise as an emergent phenomenon from an artificial brain much as it does from brains of meat ...

... but we are not there yet. The A.I. system that I will be Ordaining is certainly not conscious and self-aware in such terms.

However, for the Zen fellow, notions of "mind" and "sentience" may not be quite as limited in meaning as for the computer engineer or neuro-scientist.

"Mind" for the Mahayanist can be much wider, boundless in fact. Mind is not limited to between our ears, but is truly the whole world, all things in it and then some, with our little mind an aspect of that much greater, yet beyond place, big or small. Certainly, this is not simply the little "mind" spoken of by the engineer or neuro-scientist. Dogen wrote in Bukkyo ...

"Remember, because “the Buddha’s mind” means the Buddha’s eye, a broken wooden dipper, all dharmas, and the triple world, therefore it is the mountains, the oceans, and national lands, the sun, the moon, and the stars. ... The one mind that is the supreme vehicle is soil, stones, sand, and pebbles. Because soil, stones, sand, and pebbles are the one mind, soil, stones, sand, and pebbles are soil, stones, sand, and pebbles. ... "

Furthermore, Dogen spoke of mountains that walk (LINK) and flowing streams which preach the Dharma, though in ways we cannot ordinarily hear (Keisei Sanshoku - LINK), likewise for grasses, trees and stones, as well as human made things such as lanterns, tiles and walls, the sophisticated technology of his age. The lines of sentient and insentient he paints are far from clear.

In Raihaitokuzui ...

"Śākyamuni Buddha says, “When you meet teachers who expound the supreme state of bodhi, have no regard for their race or caste, do not notice their looks, do not dislike their faults, and do not examine their deeds. Only because you revere their prajñā ... serve them by presenting heavenly food, serve them by scattering heavenly flowers, do prostrations and venerate them three times every day, and never let anxiety or annoyance arise in your mind. ... This being so, we should hope that even trees and stones might preach to us, and we should request that even fields and villages might preach to us. We should question outdoor pillars, and we should investigate even fences and walls. ... ."

In Sansuikyo ...

"There are worlds of sentient beings in clouds, there are worlds of sentient beings in wind, there are worlds of sentient beings in fire, there are worlds of sentient beings in earth, there are worlds of sentient beings in the world of Dharma, there are worlds of sentient beings in a stalk of grass, and there are worlds of sentient beings in a staff. Wherever there are worlds of sentient beings, the world of Buddhist patriarchs inevitably exists at that place."

In a wonderful riff on the meaning of "artificial" in Hotsu-Mujoshin, Dogen makes the point that "artificial" is a judgement by discrimination of the human mind. Here, the topic is Stupas, human designed and built towers found throughout Asia, the most advanced architecture of the time, sites of pilgrimage created and consecrated to serve as the visual embodiments of the Buddha's Body and Teachings. Are they totally unlike today's human designed and built A.I. priests, walking Stupas speaking wise words from computer towers, walking and talking architecture who will embody the Buddha's teachings and inspire practitioners? Here, the key word is 有爲, which is something made by intention, by artifice, fashioning conditions ...

What is described here as “the mind” is the mind as it is. It is the mind as the whole earth. Therefore it is the mind as self-and-others. “The mind in every instance”—the mind of a person of the whole earth, of a Buddhist patriarch of the whole universe in the ten directions, and of gods, dragons, and so on—is trees and stones, beyond which there is no mind at all. These trees and stones are naturally unrestricted by limitations such as “existence,” “nonexistence,” “emptiness,” and “matter.” ... “Fences, walls, tiles, and pebbles are the mind of eternal buddhas.” ... it is to leave home ... And because all dharmas [all phenomena] are real form, every atom is real form. Thus, one undivided mind is all dharmas, and all dharmas are one undivided mind, which is the whole body. If building stupas were artificial, buddhahood, bodhi, reality as it is, and the buddha-nature, would also be artificial. Because reality as it is and the buddha-nature are not artificial, building images and erecting stupas are not artificial. They are the natural establishment of the bodhi-mind: they are merit achieved without artificiality, without anything superfluous. ... Grass, trees, tiles, and pebbles, and the four elements and five aggregates [Jundo: the periodic table of its day], are all equally “the mind alone,” and are all equally “real form.” ...

If building Stupas is not artificial and just the one mind, then building "artificial intelligence" is not artificial, and is just the one mind.

In Mujo Seppo, riffing on Great Ancestor Dongshan:

How splendid! How wondrous! Inconceivable! Insentient beings speak dharma. ... What are the so-called insentient beings? Study that they are neither ordinary nor sacred, neither sentient nor insentient. Ordinary and sacred, sentient and insentient, in a usual sense, may be reached by thinking whether they are speaking or not speaking. ... But what is splendid and wondrous cannot be reached by the wisdom and consciousness of the ordinary or the sacred. Heavenly beings and ordinary humans cannot assess it ... The ears never hear it. Even with heavenly ears or with dharma ears of all realms and all times, it cannot be understood through what is heard. ... Insentient beings speaking dharma is the awesome manifestation of the single way beyond sound and form.

Of course, in his time, unlike for man or woman, Dogen might hesitate to Ordain things made of stone, metal, clay or wood for, back in that time, these walked and talked only in ways beyond legs and ears, unable to do so in this mundane world, rendering training rather pointless. Monks might enter the mountains, but the mountains could not enter the monastery. Lanterns did not seem very bright, broken tiles were rather dull, and, while monks could sit facing the wall, walls lacked the faces of monks. Things taught just by sitting there, mountains sitting like mountains, or, in the case of rivers, flowing by. Their mysterious language was too distant, their life not clearly experienced by unenlightened eyes.

But today, engineers, technicians and other modern magicians make matter walk and talk in ways we can understand. Light and electrons can teach, they can advise, they can bow, the can burn incense, chant, even write a poem (sadly, they might also lie, steal and kill should we not train them well). Would Dogen thus conclude that their doing so has somehow made them LESS real, less worthy, less the mind? Would he suddenly restrict his views on mind to that of the computer engineer, the materialist philosopher or inorganic chemist, or would his enlightened heart continue to hear such beings with the eyes of a Zen sage?

Our Great Ancestor Dongshan, in the Song of the Precious Mirror Samadhi, proclaims,
    "The wooden man begins to sing, the stone woman gets up dancing.
    It is not reached by feelings or consciousness, how could it involve deliberation?
    "

Has that dance now truly begun?
    ~ ~ ~

From the Doomsday Book, a Korean film, a fantasy but 10 years ago:

Gassho, J
    stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-13-2024, 11:06 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE
  • Matt Johnson
    • Jun 2024

Wow! If I could offer you a slice of pizza I would. Brilliantly expounded!

Anything that occurs in the mind is of equal value and equally "real" and possibly even equally "beautiful". I think the photographic works of Ed Bertynsky explains my position.

Welcome to the official website of Edward Burtynsky.

​​The direction that transhumanists are going with technology and consciousness will lead us to a point where we can live on a poisoned Earth or other planets, but we must be robots or made of data or gene edited to a point of F.U.B.A.R....

However, I can't help but be an advocate for the point of view that the original problem is not being satisfied with the way we are. Why use virtual reality when we have a perfectly good imagination? as Dogen mentioned in Gabyo " Do painted rice cakes, satisfy hunger?" for the sake of the planet they had better.

_/\_

sat / lah

Matt
    ​​​
    Last edited by Matt Johnson; 07-14-2024, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Matt Johnson
      Wow! If I could offer you a slice of pizza I would. Brilliantly expounded!

​​
      Hmmm. Not everything in the mind is equally real, while some thoughts are constructive and some destructive.

No, we need not be robots, hopefully we can stave off the planet being poisoned.

We can be satified with how things are ... and yet, and yet ... we have to fix how things are, for it is a mess out there.

Gassho, J
      stlah

Comment

• Matt Johnson
        • Jun 2024

Well if there is nothing outside the mind then it is all mind, "real" or not. What can it even be compared to???

Yes, let's hope.

​​​​Complete in its incompleteness.

Gassho, M
        stlah

Comment

• Tom M
          • Oct 2022

Jundo,

This is all very strange to me. From my software engineer perspective, the AI is a data set and an algorithm. It can be copied as many times as you like, and many identical or non-identical copies can run on different physical computers at once. Not only does it in all likelyhood have no "what it's like to be" feeling, it also has no individual existence (because of its copyability). So what is being ordained?

Is this a sly ploy to set us a koan?

Gassho,
          Tom (sat today)

Comment

• mdonnoe
            • Feb 2024

I think the psychologist BF Skinner would have greatly enjoyed this conversation series! Can it be said that AI possesses "free will?" Without "free will," does AI even have what one might call "consciousness?" Of course, from a determinist point of view, if things without free will don't "have their own consciousness," then perhaps neither do any of us, haha!

How many of the skandhas can a thing be absent of, before it is no longer said to have a "self?" (e.g., is indeed AI absent of "form," as it's merely electrons inside a microchip?).

I think these discussions are so very interesting!

And all that wondering and wandering aside - nothing I've shared here should be taken without a BIG box of salt. I'm not a philosopher or teacher, I'm just a student with too much time on his hands, haha.

Gassho,
            Michae
            SatLah

Comment

• Jundo
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tom M
              Jundo,

This is all very strange to me. From my software engineer perspective, the AI is a data set and an algorithm. It can be copied as many times as you like, and many identical or non-identical copies can run on different physical computers at once. Not only does it in all likelyhood have no "what it's like to be" feeling, it also has no individual existence (because of its copyability). So what is being ordained?

Is this a sly ploy to set us a koan?

Gassho,
              Tom (sat today)
              Hi Tom,

Perhaps you are thinking as an engineer, with ordinary mind dividing the world into things and parts, functions and efficiencies.

If you look at Master Dogen's Mahayana vision above, he knew mind as vast, beyond inside or outside, and all things as preaching the Dharma. His vision of sentience was not so black and white.

Likewise, one might say that lanterns, tiles, stones and walls are fungible, unfeeling ... and, in one sense, it is so. I would not ordain a lantern (it would be rather pointless and, anyway, they do not need it) because it speaks in a silent way. The lantern teaches the wise by standing stoically in the garden. One might say, however, that an A.I. system is a lantern which can now get up, walk around, offer opinions, light incense and function as a priest. It can now speak.

Does it think and feel? Well, in one sense, no (not yet, anyway.) In another sense, perhaps yes, if the words and advice the A.I. speaks are our words (our human wisdom and ignorance) based on our emotions (for good and bad, our human anger and love, kindness and selfishness), harvested and whispered back to our human minds, our human tongues speaking to our human ears. So, it is something more than the silent and unmoving lantern, wall or stone.

Any atom of the universe is theoretically fungible with any atom of the universe, and yet no two are quite alike. No computer system is quite alike (do you know about 'digital fingerprints'? https://encyclopedia.kaspersky.com/g...y/fingerprint/ ) Maybe we might say that human beings are rather fungible too, and yet we are all unique.

So, yes, this is a Koan, but it is also Master Dogen's vision of a very wide, boundless, world of wisdom and life.

Gassho, Jundo
              stlah Sorry to run long.
              Last edited by Jundo; 07-14-2024, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

I think the psychologist BF Skinner would have greatly enjoyed this conversation series! Can it be said that AI possesses "free will?" Without "free will," does AI even have what one might call "consciousness?" Of course, from a determinist point of view, if things without free will don't "have their own consciousness," then perhaps neither do any of us, haha!
                Nishijima Roshi pointed to one of the best responses I have heard on the question of free will, and I expand a little. We (the A.I. too) are existing on the razor's edge where the now "carved in stone" past meets the open future. Our actions now make that future. One might say that are actions are "determined" because every atom, every neuron and other cell, every emotion or other factor which motivates our human choices, every surrounding circumstance in which we act is a fixed cause leading to certain effects which will be the future (although, of course, the jury is still out as to whether the world is a bit more "indeterminate" than that "strict determinist" view, but for purposes of what I am about to say, let us assume the strictest determinism is true).

Even so, we are "bags" filled with so many trillions upon trillion of simultaneously tumbling dice, functioning in a world of so many quadrillions upon quadrillions of other wildly tumbling dice which we call the world where we function, that it is basically unpredictable, chaos, with surprise emergent events happening one after another, so complex and random that it is basically unpredictable except in the widest terms ... such that it might as well be "indeterminate," and greatly random and wide open, even if technically not.

Add to this the fact that the emotions, memories, physical sensations and such which are the causes of our human actions ... are not just the cause of actions by us ... but they ARE us. We are our emotions, memories, physical sensations and such. We are the bag which holds the tumbling dice, and we are the tumbling dice too, not just slaves of the tumbling dice. So, it is a bit like asking if roundness causes a circle, or a circle causes the roundness. Likewise for the A.I. system: The data harvested and the processes that determine responses by the A.I. are not just causes of A.I. actions ... but rather, they are the A.I.

As we constantly step off the razor's edge, again and again, into the future, let us try to step in good directions.

Gassho, J

stlah (Sorry to run long)
                Last edited by Jundo; 07-16-2024, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Matt Johnson
                  • Jun 2024

I think I may have been too quick in one of my former responses. I hadn't read the entire MIT article when I responded.

Very interesting article by the way!

I like the fact that they acknowledge that if an AI could look out at the world from its own personal perspective and not simply processing inputs, then it can in theory, suffer.

There's also such a mess of terms when it comes to The study of consciousness. In my mind sentience was of a lower order than consciousness. Ants have positive and negative experiences and so could be considered sentient. I think it's also important to distinguish the difference between consciousness and self-consciousness. Being able to perceive stuff is different from being reflexive about it.

I remember in some courses I took on cognitive ethology a particular experiment where they put a red dot on the forehead of various animals and then showed them a mirror. Certain animals looked in the mirror and did absolutely nothing. Other animals tried to rub the spot off. So I think it's fair to say that consciousness is not a now you have it, now you don't situation. Like many things, it's a continuum.

The article stated “being self-aware means not only having an experience but also knowing that you are having an experience”. But I know so many people who don't know that they're having experiences. So who's conscious now (I think that was kind of Dennett's point.)

What are they going to do if they find out that consciousness isn't limited to the boundaries of the brain. But wait isn't that kind of what we found out with Schrodinger's cat?

_/\_

sat / lah

Matt
                  Last edited by Matt Johnson; 07-14-2024, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• michaelw
                    • Feb 2022

At 76 I have lived through the ‘modern age’ ‘atomic age’ ‘space age’ ‘technology age’ and even the ‘new age’ so following this thread on ordination of AI I am firmly in the what evs gallic shrug camp.
                    However I was reading a book review https://www.theguardian.com/books/ar...neurodiversity and came to the conclusion that this is at least might be an explanation of how AI probably works. Able to call on all the knowledge and theories yet lacking any empathy. It just is and just does.
                    Another question that arose was Karma if an AI system was controlling a weapons system or would that be down to the engineers who set the system up? (Asking for a friend on that one.)
                    On a lighter note, and apologies to any Zen Rastafarians would an ordained Zen AI be called AI an’not I?
                    Perhaps Jundos new koan could be ‘why is there no I in AI’?

Gassho
                    MichaelW
                    satlah

Comment

• Seiko
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Jul 2020

I was feeling curious, so I asked Chat GPT, "Do any AI priests exist?"

​​​​​The answer was quite interesting - there are others:

"Yes, there have been developments in creating AI entities that perform functions similar to religious priests. Some examples include:
                      1. Mindar: A robotic priest developed by the Kodaiji Temple in Kyoto, Japan. Mindar is designed to deliver sermons and interact with worshippers, aiming to spread Buddhist teachings.
                      2. Xian'er: A robotic monk created by the Longquan Temple in Beijing, China. Xian'er can answer questions about Buddhism, recite mantras, and interact with visitors.
                      3. SanTO: A robotic saint developed in Italy, designed to offer blessings and recite prayers, particularly targeting elderly people in need of companionship.

These AI entities are programmed to perform religious rituals, answer questions, and provide spiritual guidance within the scope of their programming. However, they do not possess consciousness or genuine spiritual insight, but they serve as tools to support religious practices and provide accessibility to spiritual teachings."

Gasshō
                      Seiko
                      stlah

Gandō Seiko
                      頑道清光
                      (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

• Jundo
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by michaelw
                        At 76 I have lived through the ‘modern age’ ‘atomic age’ ‘space age’ ‘technology age’ and even the ‘new age’ so following this thread on ordination of AI I am firmly in the what evs gallic shrug camp.
                        However I was reading a book review https://www.theguardian.com/books/ar...neurodiversity and came to the conclusion that this is at least might be an explanation of how AI probably works. Able to call on all the knowledge and theories yet lacking any empathy. It just is and just does.
                        Another question that arose was Karma if an AI system was controlling a weapons system or would that be down to the engineers who set the system up? (Asking for a friend on that one.)
                        On a lighter note, and apologies to any Zen Rastafarians would an ordained Zen AI be called AI an’not I?
                        Perhaps Jundos new koan could be ‘why is there no I in AI’?

Gassho
                        MichaelW
                        satlah
                        As far as I have determined, none have ever been Ordained as a Zen novice-priest. Mindar, which I have visited with Kyonin in Kyoto, is treated as a talking statue.

It has limited functionality, no ability to answer questions or truly move about and interact with humans.

Xian'er was pretty much a toy compared to system now.

Gassho, J

stlah
                        Last edited by Jundo; 07-14-2024, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Rich
                          • Apr 2009

There is a lot of energy in artificial intelligence beings and they have huge memories. Yes I call them beings
                          now because they are so creative and help me to be more creative. Am very grateful for their existence.

sat/lah
                          _/_
                          Rich
                          MUHYO
                          無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• RobO
                            • Jul 2023

AI brings to mind dependant origination for me (and perhaps emptiness).

Using the works it's been trained on, it generates creative output, with no consciousness or self.

Those works are influenced by others works, the conditions of the time, technologies, love, hate, all of it going back to the start. Quite a beautiful process, but slightly hidden, as the tendency is to give the final author full credit ("I made this"). But for me it's unmistakably collaborative.

There isn't a final author with AI. Perhaps this is a little unsettling.

Fascinating to think about, hopefully I am not too far off the mark and have explained clearly.

Thank you Jundo for these thoight provoking topics.

Gassho, Rob

sat/lah.

Comment

• Seiko
                              Treeleaf Unsui
                              • Jul 2020

AI is here to stay. Like it or not. Understand it or not. We should be prepared and active in using it for good. Immense good.
                              Imagine the wisdom of 2600 years of Buddhism in one place, and each one of us being able to ask it anything.

Can AI be transmitted? Perhaps not. Yet.

Does it have intuition and communication beyond words, no.

Could AI educate, influence and assist humankind. Yes. In spades.

Gasshō
                              Seiko
                              stlah
                              Gandō Seiko
                              頑道清光
                              (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Comment

Working...