[FutureBuddha] My TED Talk, ChatGPT and WOW!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brett
    • Mar 2024

That is great that they have asked you to talk on this topic, I can’t wait to see what you have to say. I think AI is an amazing tool, and with some safeguards could really help humanity get past some of our psychological limitations and help to find real truth in the world free of biases that limit us.

Stlah
    Gassho,
    Brett

Comment

• Jenny A
      • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Jishin
      Is that an opinion?

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH
      It is an opinion informed by my years of studying, reading, writing, and publishing contemporary English-language haiku.

Gassho.
      jenny
      stlah

Comment

• Jishin
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jenny A
        It is an opinion informed by my years of studying, reading, writing, and publishing contemporary English-language haiku.

Gassho.
        jenny
        stlah
        In that case, your opinion is a fact.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Comment

• AbokinDuka
          • Jan 2024

Originally posted by Jundo

A question is what gave sentient life -its- first prompt. ;-)

Touche!

Gassho, G
          Last edited by AbokinDuka; 04-24-2024, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• Stacy
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by AbokinDuka
            As chance would have it, right before I saw this thread, I saw a post elsewhere online from an artist alliance which is understandably perturbed about the rise in generative AI. While AI tools are amazing (especially the image generators), the post highlighted the fact that these tools are simply a mirror to reflect human innovation, writings, and art, without themselves being inspired or emotionally connected to anything that is produced. Which is true - AI models work backwards, trained by consuming humanity's best and worst creations (and a lot in between), figuring out the words that describe those works, and then when asked about new combinations of words put together a complex formula to guess at some approximations of what might make sense to the human requesting output. GPT's wise advice is borrowed from the minds of our ancestors and predecessors, then re-summarized to avoid the appearance of direct plagiarism.

None of which is to yuck anyone's yum about using AI tools, but rather I wanted to respectfully ensure that we all know that the creativity, innovation, and even the spiritual lessons of humans required to get GPT or any other AI tool to say or do anything at all, must remain present in order to seed AI-produced content. And humans still need to create those prompts asking the AI to do anything at all: A hammer doesn't search out, hold, and drive a nail on its own accord.

Gassho, G

Satlah
            I'm a software engineer. And I feel for the folks in the arts. They worked hard to do what they love.

AI art is as amazing to me as the atomic bomb. There is a level of appreciation, but I cannot enjoy it. Especially with the damage that will come with creating fake video, audio, images, and articles en masse.

I hope there is success in the future with using AI to assist, and not replace, people when it comes to such professions. Also, I would rather see AI assist the common person, to lessen the everyday chores so that they can better work on things they enjoy (such as creating art).

For assisting instead of replacing? Like some 2D Disney movies, where they at times used computers to assist with things that would've been difficult to do purely by hand. Such as using computers to duplicate the wildebeests in The Lion King's great stampede and using 3D models to help make the wheels on Pacha's cart in The Emperor's New Groove (and lots more obvious places). And I have seen tools that assist with creating the "middle frame(s)" between 2 drawings of animation.

For now, I aim to support artists as best as possible and avoid being part of the problem where I can help it.

One hobby project I come back to now and again is one with using AI to make a game I enjoy more accessible to those with disabilities. Those are the types of things I'd like to see AI used for instead, too.

Gassho,
            Stacy
            stlah
            Last edited by Stacy; 06-16-2024, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
              Treeleaf Founder and Priest
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Stacy

I'm a software engineer. And I feel for the folks in the arts. They worked hard to do what they love.

AI art is as amazing to me as the atomic bomb. There is a level of appreciation, but I cannot enjoy it. Especially with the damage that will come with creating fake video, audio, images, and articles en masse.

I hope there is success in the future with using AI to assist, and not replace, people when it comes to such professions. Also, I would rather see AI assist the common person, to lessen the everyday chores so that they can better work on things they enjoy (such as creating art).

For assisting instead of replacing? Like some 2D Disney movies, where they at times used computers to assist with things that would've been difficult to do purely by hand. Such as using computers to duplicate the wildebeests in The Lion King's great stampede and using 3D models to help make the wheels on Pacha's cart in The Emperor's New Groove (and lots more obvious places). And I have seen tools that assist with creating the "middle frame(s)" between 2 drawings of animation.

For now, I aim to support artists as best as possible and avoid being part of the problem where I can help it.

One hobby project I come back to now and again is one with using AI to make a game I enjoy more accessible to those with disabilities. Those are the types of things I'd like to see AI used for instead, too.

Gassho,
              Stacy
              stlah
              Oh, I am completely with you on this. As a translator of Japanese, AI is nipping at my heels too.

Still, for my upcoming talk in Taipei on "the future of AI" ... I again turned to ChatGPT4o to do the art. It came back ... well, about like the above. Forgive me.

Gassho, J

stlah
              ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kaitan
                • Mar 2023

If it's worth mentioning, AI has reached areas like chemistry in a way that I didn't see coming (until in recent past couple of months). Just like artists are struggling right now, chemist and probably any professionals that rely on lab work experiments will start to see AI unfold and take over such jobs (not sure if most, but A LOT). Personally, I think this might be good for science after all, like it or not, it will promote more critical thinking, creative ideas, less repetitive and more interesting research. It won't be an easy transition, though.

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan

Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
                Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kaitan
                  If it's worth mentioning, AI has reached areas like chemistry in a way that I didn't see coming (until in recent past couple of months). Just like artists are struggling right now, chemist and probably any professionals that rely on lab work experiments will start to see AI unfold and take over such jobs (not sure if most, but A LOT). Personally, I think this might be good for science after all, like it or not, it will promote more critical thinking, creative ideas, less repetitive and more interesting research. It won't be an easy transition, though.

Gasshō

stlah, Kaitan
                  Plus just so many discoveries that depend on just trying combinations of reactions, variety in protein structures, and the like ... tossing things at the wall and seeing what sticks, but at super-high speed with no need for sleep, lunch breaks or a dental plan.

Gassho, J

stlah
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Kaitan
                    • Mar 2023

Originally posted by Jundo

Plus just so many discoveries that depend on just trying combinations of reactions, variety in protein structures, and the like ... tossing things at the wall and seeing what sticks, but at super-high speed with no need for sleep, lunch breaks or a dental plan.

Gassho, J

stlah
                    Yes, we reached a second industrial revolution already. Hope we find the middle way.

stlah, Kaitan
                    Kaitan - 界探 - Realm searcher
                    Formerly known as "Bernal"

Comment

Working...