This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suuko
    • May 2017

This reminds me of another quote from Kung Fu panda. "When the wind blows, the mountain doesn't move".

Gassho,
    Sat-Lah,
    Suuko.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DGF

you dont have to be on a mountain,to be on a mountain!
      ... or to be the mountain, and the mountain to be you, wherever you are.

Gassho, J

STLah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Tomás ESP
        • Aug 2020

Feeling happy, managed to transition from sitting on a chair to Seiza for the first time today. I didn't think this would be possible due to my bone problems, but funny enough, what ended up hurting the most was my butt, not my knees. I can manage butt pain for now

Gassho, Tomás
        Sat

Comment

• Tai Shi
          • Oct 2014

How could I have known I foretold my own beauty, my own luminescence with Dogen and his Music, how it sweeps me up yet delivers my friendships. "Yes," means friends, one who seeks is never alone.
          Gassho
          st/lah
          Peaceful, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, for positive poetry 優婆塞 台 婆

Comment

• Seth David
            • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Tomás ESP
            Feeling happy, managed to transition from sitting on a chair to Seiza for the first time today. I didn't think this would be possible due to my bone problems, but funny enough, what ended up hurting the most was my butt, not my knees. I can manage butt pain for now

Gassho, Tomás
            Sat
            That is awesome
            Gassho
            Seth
            sattoday, lah

Comment

• Seth David
              • Apr 2022

insta-zazen: just do whatever you're doing

I think I get it.

"Just sitting" zazen is not so much a form of meditation as it is an opportunity to practice non-grasping of thoughts. By sitting zazen in this way we train ourselves not to grasp so that it is easier to continue not to grasp while we are doing other things in life. The experience of non-grasping during "just sitting" makes "just driving", "just folding laundry", "just cooking supper", "just playing with the kids" easier; it comes more naturally because of shikantaza.

I hope I'm making sense.

Gassho
              Seth
              st, lah

Comment

• Tai Shi
                • Oct 2014

My zazen is very simple and happy not at time. As I sit I like to visualize as Jundo teaches. I am driving down the road looking neither right or left. I think my breath helps me move forward. I do take note as I move by the country side and breathe but If get stuck, I count breath and begin to move. Then I am there. For me a while time stands still.
                Gassho
                st/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Seth David
                  The experience of non-grasping during "just sitting" makes "just driving", "just folding laundry", "just cooking supper", "just playing with the kids" easier; it comes more naturally because of shikantaza.
                  It is more a radical equanimity with all of life, even when the laundry needs doing, the supper gets burned, the car has a flat. We sometimes need to think while doing those things, and we feel emotions, but we are not a prisoner of thoughts and emotions.

That said, please don't do anything strange with the mind while driving. Just drive, with the ordinary awakeness and attention of driving. Don't crash the car while trying to be "mindful" or something.

In fact, I have this other essay in which I compare Shikantaza to driving ...

Drivin' Dogen - Understanding "Open Spacious Awareness"
                  Come take a little drive ... sorry if the road is a bit winding ... I have encountered a few people in recent days asking about the "Open Spacious Awareness" of Shikantaza. I always try to describe things in clear terms that modern folks can relate to. So, although Dogen surely did not own a car (he did sometimes

Gassho, J

STLah
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Huichan
                    • Jan 2022

Anyone got any tips from transitioning from sitting in seiza to burmese? I'm quite an athletic person but have always had awful flexibility...

When I first tried sitting, I got my sitting all wrong (not understanding what 'acceptable' sitting positions were) and was sitting in a generaly cross legged position (I understand why it's not recommended as it was not nice to sit in for such a long period of time...). Once I realised this was wrong, I just sat in seiza, as I couldn't do anything else. I was trying to improve this but quite quickly injured my hip , so held off for a while.

As I don't really have any real medical conditions or bad injuries, feel I should be able to sit in a position that requires more flexibility with a bit of effort. I have a fairly decent knowledge of things like this as I'm a PE teacher and practiced yoga on and off for a few years. Looking more for specific stretches in a yoga routine or modified sitting positions that I could do while reading or relaxing. Or even some tips that might help actually sitting burmese a bit easier.

Just tried sitting in burmese now though, and it's the closest I've ever been to sitting in an almost comfortable position, but wouldn't be able to do it for more than 5 minutes still

* Edited just to say it feels like my right psoas is really tight when sitting burmese, so seems like a problem relating to that

Sorry to run long

Gassho
                    Ross
                    stlah
                    Last edited by Huichan; 04-26-2022, 12:37 PM.
                    慧禅 | Huìchán | Ross

Comment

• Bion
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Ross
                      Anyone got any tips from transitioning from sitting in seiza to burmese? I'm quite an athletic person but have always had awful flexibility...

When I first tried sitting, I got my sitting all wrong (not understanding what 'acceptable' sitting positions were) and was sitting in a generaly cross legged position (I understand why it's not recommended as it was not nice to sit in for such a long period of time...). Once I realised this was wrong, I just sat in seiza, as I couldn't do anything else. I was trying to improve this but quite quickly injured my hip , so held off for a while.

As I don't really have any real medical conditions or bad injuries, feel I should be able to sit in a position that requires more flexibility with a bit of effort. I have a fairly decent knowledge of things like this as I'm a PE teacher and practiced yoga on and off for a few years. Looking more for specific stretches in a yoga routine or modified sitting positions that I could do while reading or relaxing. Or even some tips that might help actually sitting burmese a bit easier.

Just tried sitting in burmese now though, and it's the closest I've ever been to sitting in an almost comfortable position, but wouldn't be able to do it for more than 5 minutes still

* Edited just to say it feels like my right psoas is really tight when sitting burmese, so seems like a problem relating to that

Sorry to run long

Gassho
                      Ross
                      stlah
                      Well, burmese can get pretty uncomfortable, and I say that from experience, cause for me it’s bad when I try it. I sit half lotus and I find the secret to a moderately comfortable sit lies in the position and placement on the cushion, as well as the cushion itself. If you get too much angling on the hips cause of height while sitting, your thighs are gonna kill you during 30 mins. So, first off, stretch before sitting, ALWAYS and then once seated, sway, turn, move and make sure there’s not much tenseness (not tension) in your hips and thighs. Allow the body to rest comfortably on itself, rather than trying to hold it in the posture by clenching and tightening muscles.
                      Ultimately, only you can correct your posture by constantly observing and understanding the pain.

[emoji1374] Sat Today
                      "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• houst0n
                        • Nov 2021

Sorry to run long

Gassho
                        Ross
                        stlah
                        You're going to want to spend a whole bunch of time doing the butterfly stretch!

But really you don't need to spend a crazy amount of time on it -- there is no rush (unless you're training for some Antaiji level sesshin where they're going to force you to sit on a 1cm high Zafu? ) What worked for me (so far) was getting an extra high Zafu, and sitting Quarter Lotus (I find more comfortable than Burmese) but even then, after 30 minutes or so I still get the odd dead leg. When I am sitting longer, I use a bench (which genuinely, feels more stable than even half lotus for me... *shrug*) but I try to do one sitting a day on the Zafu, and during that one I just sit until the legs get so distracting that I stop -- gradually they'll open up!

Just be sure to switch which leg is on top, which I didn't do, and have completely unbalanced hips now

Don't overdo it!

Gassho,
                        ./sat
                        N

Comment

• Huichan
                          • Jan 2022

Thanks for the tips. My hips are so unflexible that half lotus is a distant dream at the moment, so just going to have to concentrate to getting to burmese for now

Gassho
                          Ross
                          stlah
                          慧禅 | Huìchán | Ross

Comment

• Tai Shi
                            • Oct 2014

Zazen for Beginners Series: THREAD for QUESTIONS, COMMENTS

I have never been athletic and I can’t bend over. I can’t sit cross leges. However I can sit in a chair with my feet firmly on the floor and my hands together in my lap in cosmic mudra. This is tall mountain pose perfect for sitting meditation or any old or disabled or anyone meditation.
                            Gassho
                            sat/ lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Kaishin
                              • Dec 2010

Sorry to run long

Gassho
                              Ross
                              stlah
                              When you tried seiza, were you using a bench? Those help tremendously imho. As for specific yoga stretches, I find Agnistambhasana (double-pigeon or firelog pose) quite helpful for the hips. It is easy to vary the intensity by leaning forward or back in the pose. If you are inflexible, you will definitely feel an intense stretch in your hips!

Don't think that a specific posture should be a "goal" -- work with your own body and its limitations. More flexibility is nice, but there's nothing magical in the full lotus. I used to be able to sit that way but can't anymore due to injuries. That upset me at first, but I just had to let go of that unnecessary attachment. Fwiw, I find half lotus unbalanced and uncomfortable. Burmese tends to make my back ache. Generally I will sit seiza or in Siddhasana (sometimes called quarter lotus).

-stlah
                              Thanks,
                              Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
                              Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Comment

I had sat half lotus for years. Simultaneously, I had back pain..sometimes bad...sometimes not so bad....Always got worse when sitting for long periods. Then I switched to Burmese (The Taoists call this the Immortal Posture) and my back pain went away during long sits. I had to accept that my body changed and I found it a good thing to listen to the body. I found that as long as the posture is stable and supports my body and mind to keep still, it supports my practice. I still will use half-lotus from time to time, but not my primary way anymore.

Gassho,

Wondo

Sat Today
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...