This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newby_x86
    • Dec 2017

Thank you for the reply Jundo and Shingen.

At work, I'd taken to doing kinhin with just hands behind the back, I feared the shashu mudra may attract a little too much attention! (Not an excuse, just some context) I'll learn to swing it both ways between work and home.

Thanks again!
    Gassho,
    Anant
    Sat
    Last edited by newby_x86; 05-19-2018, 05:41 AM.

Comment

• Jundo
      Treeleaf Founder and Priest
      • Apr 2006

Hi Anant

I am curious if you know of any way of traditional holding the hands in India like Shashu in China, or use of that mudra in Indian / Hindu traditional art. I am wondering if it was a Chinese thing, or has Indian roots.

Gassho J

SatTodayLah
      ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• newby_x86
        • Dec 2017

Umm, the only bit of tradition that we do get to see around here every day that may be familiar to everyone is Namaste or Hands in Gassho. Other than that, in the form of everyday greetings or the use of hands in general, I don't think I've seen anything besides. (for walking or while sitting)

I should mention that I live in the city and haven't had a great deal of exposure beyond there parts so please forgive my ignorance there.

Gassho,
        Anant
        Sat

Comment

• Jundo
          • Apr 2006

Just out of curiosity, I looked to see if I could find anything similar in Indian Yoga mudra. Not exactly the same, because the left hand in facing outward, but the "Ganesh Mudra" seems rather similar. I have no idea if there is a relationship in origin. It may just be coincidence, because it seems a rather natural way to lock the hands.

Ganesha Mudra is named after the Hindu deity who removes obstacles. Use it relieve stress and tension and lift your spirits.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• newby_x86
            • Dec 2017

That's interesting. There are far too many of those mudras but can't say I've seen that one in use before.

Gassho,
            Anant
            Sat

Comment

• SNPII
              • May 2018

Thanks to all! I have reached out in PM to some with personal commentary. Does anyone know of a better way to be notified about posts I’m participating and such when mobile? For now I have just been going to the my profile section and clicking on the posts it says I’ve commented on. it is also a bit challenging to utilize and stay on top of this forum on my mobile devices, but they are so much a part of my life than 5ey should be, but still a reality.

Sattoday

Shane
              In Sincerity
              Shane

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by SNPII
                Thanks to all! I have reached out in PM to some with personal commentary. Does anyone know of a better way to be notified about posts I’m participating and such when mobile? For now I have just been going to the my profile section and clicking on the posts it says I’ve commented on. it is also a bit challenging to utilize and stay on top of this forum on my mobile devices, but they are so much a part of my life than 5ey should be, but still a reality.

Sattoday

Shane
                Hey Shane,

Yes you can. If you go into your profile on Tapatalk (see attached image), then goto "settings", then under your "push notifications" and "email notifications" yoi can set what you want to be notified about.

Let me know if this helps. =)

Gassho
                Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Geika
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Jan 2010

Choosing to hold your hands behind your back to eschew tradition is the same as holding your hands in the mudra to embrace tradition. No matter which, a choice is being made, thought of, mulled over, decided, questioned, etc. Choosing to simply follow the rituals whether we know what the significance is yet or not removes the questioning from the action, which I feel is the point.

Gassho, sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                  I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jundo
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Geika
                    Choosing to hold your hands behind your back to eschew tradition is the same as holding your hands in the mudra to embrace tradition. No matter which, a choice is being made, thought of, mulled over, decided, questioned, etc. Choosing to simply follow the rituals whether we know what the significance is yet or not removes the questioning from the action, which I feel is the point.

Gassho, sat today, lah
                    I agree with this.

Unless one is being asked to jump off a high cliff, sleep with the "teacher" or do some other really harmful action, or to become a spiritual Zombie, there is great beauty in this Practice of leaving your personal preferences, likes and dislikes, at the door and just throwing oneself into an activity. It is an important part of Zen, and most Eastern religious, Practices.

(Of course, nobody will be asked that around here to do anything harmful or become a zombie, and run from any group or guru that asks that ... and there are quite a few, including a couple of Zen groups (Joshu Sasaki, Eido Shimano and some others) who went that bad way. We just had a discussion of two such groups):

A short documentary about the cult surrounding spiritual Guru Andrew Cohen (no family relation, if I may say). If you ever detect a hint of anything like that about this Treeleaf Community (or me!), please RUN, DO NOT WALK, FOR THE DOOR! It is so important for all of us involved in "Eastern philosophies" or

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Geika
                      Treeleaf Unsui
                      • Jan 2010

Thanks, Jundo. I forgot to throw in that important bit!

I am personally very minimal on ritual, but I only became that way after a few years of getting them in my muscle memory.

The result of that is sometimes shashu while walking to the fridge, bowing to the toilet, and sometimes just sitting straight on the cushion for zazen and not bowing or doing any ritual until after the bell, or even at all. Sometimes I chant the Heart Sutra without thinking, and sometimes before or after sitting. I really just kind of go with how practice strikes me at each moment. I enjoy it all and have a great love of zen ritual as a practice, even the long form stuff. It merges with my more fluid daily life in a way that becomes natural with time. And I'm always ready for a formal zazenkai, robes and all.

Gassho, sat today, lah

求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                      I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Jundo
                        • Apr 2006

I am personally very minimal on ritual, but I only became that way after a few years of getting them in my muscle memory.

The result of that is sometimes shashu while walking to the fridge, bowing to the toilet, and sometimes just sitting straight on the cushion for zazen and not bowing or doing any ritual until after the bell, or even at all. Sometimes I chant the Heart Sutra without thinking, and sometimes before or after sitting. I really just kind of go with how practice strikes me at each moment. I enjoy it all and have a great love of zen ritual as a practice, even the long form stuff. It merges with my more fluid daily life in a way that becomes natural with time. And I'm always ready for a formal zazenkai, robes and all.

Gassho, sat today, lah
                        Yep, me too.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLah

Comment

• Mp

Gassho, sat today, lah

I too like this Geika, thank you. =)

Gassho
                          Shingen

Sat/LAH

Comment

• Meitou
                            • Feb 2017

Gassho, sat today, lah

Both of your posts here really resonate. Beautiful words Geika, thank you.
                            Gassho
                            Meitou
                            Satwithyoualltoday
                            命 Mei - life
                            島 Tou - island

Comment

• SNPII
                              • May 2018

Many thanks for the cloud reference and seeing through them at some point in practice. I cannot say I see through them completely quite yet, but I do have an appreciation now as to the clouds and crystal clear blue luminescent sky co existing! It brings joy!

Sat2daymanyX's

In Sincerity
                              Shane
                              In Sincerity
                              Shane

Comment

• Shinshi
                                Treeleaf Unsui
                                • Jul 2010

Gassho, sat today, lah

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                                空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                                There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
                                -Dogen
                                E84I - JAJ

Comment

Working...