X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jundo
    Treeleaf Founder and Priest
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by M.C. Easton
    I just watched #6 today, and it really helped my understanding of Buddhism. For many years, I've been troubled by the idea that Buddhists are supposed to have no attachments whatsoever--even to right and wrong, or kindness. The idea of indifference to suffering or injustice left me with doubts whether Buddhism was really right for me.

This was a beautiful talk that helped me understand we can experience non-attachment simultaneously alongside our powerful attachments. In fact, it seems to me that by practicing total acceptance in shikantaza, what we are really doing is giving ourselves space to choose. Where I so easily run around reacting to problems and needs from a place of attachment, the experience of non-attachment and acceptance each day helps clear my mind so that I can respond to the outer world from a clarity of intention and acceptance in my inner world. I am finding that the more I sit zazen, the more easily I choose behavior rather than instinctively DO.

Is this a reasonable beginning-to-understand the teaching?
    A good way to express tbings. One embodies choices and the Choiceless at once as one.

Gassho, Jundo in Sarnath
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Makkusu
      • Sep 2016

Whenever I sit Shikantaza, my lower right leg "falls asleep". I sit in the Burmese position which works very well except for this. Will it get better after time or would some stretches before do the trick? (thought I will post it in here as this might be a common problem)

Gassho, Max
      #sattoday

Comment

• Jundo
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Makkusu
        Whenever I sit Shikantaza, my lower right leg "falls asleep". I sit in the Burmese position which works very well except for this. Will it get better after time or would some stretches before do the trick? (thought I will post it in here as this might be a common problem)

Gassho, Max
        #sattoday
        Hi Max,

As to legs falling asleep, this is usually pressure on the sciatic nerve, which can be alleviated by shifting the weight off that spot, and also sitting on the Zafu correctly so that it does not pinch the spot. It still happens to anyone sometimes, but have a look here:

I've noticed as I've started sitting longer (after each of the Zazen lessons for beginners I find I sit more to let things sink in) I've been having a problem with pins and needles in my legs when I get up. I was sitting half-lotus, but then as I noticed this happening I tried switching to burmese, and I've tried supported

Gassho, J

SatToday

Comment

• Kyousui
          • Feb 2017

What posture is (other than walking) is good for a busy etc area to do Zazen in?

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Comment

• Jundo
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by TomSchulte
            What posture is (other than walking) is good for a busy etc area to do Zazen in?
            Hi Tom,

If I understand your question, any balanced posture ... sitting, walking, standing, flying through the air ... is fine, although sitting is what we usually Practice, and walking in Kinhin. The point is some balanced stable posture where the body can be naturally forgotten and left from mind.

If you mean what is the best posture for Zazen in Times Square, I would say anything that does not cause people to trip over you, or you to wander into traffic causing damage to the front of a bus.

Not sure if that is what you were asking.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Comment

• AdamH
              • Jun 2015

Jundo, thank you for your wonderful videos. I loved Zazen for beginners 3.
              Even though I had prior understood of all the information going in, I found your breakdown of posture and breathing to be indepth, fascinating and dare I say it, humourous!

Love it!
              Gassho!

Adam
              Gassho,
              Adam
              Sat today

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by AdamH
                Jundo, thank you for your wonderful videos. I loved Zazen for beginners 3.
                Even though I had prior understood of all the information going in, I found your breakdown of posture and breathing to be indepth, fascinating and dare I say it, humourous!

Love it!
                Gassho!

Adam
                Please recall, Adam that since you are sitting in South Africa, you are sitting upside-down from the rest of us up here. Please be careful to hold on to something.

(Oh, wait, maybe it is us who are sitting on our heads!)

Gassho, J

SatToday
                Last edited by Jundo; 02-16-2017, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Kyousui
                  • Feb 2017

Yep, I was asking regarding this tradition's feelings on public display. Goenka (Vipassana) for instance cautions against meditating in public in an obvious manner, eyes closed and one of the cross leg postures, but does encourage meditating any time in a non-obvious way.

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Comment

• Myosha
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Jundo
                    Please recall, Adam that since you are sitting in South Africa, you are sitting upside-down from the rest of us up here. Please be careful to hold on to something.

(Oh, wait, maybe it is us who are sitting on our heads!)

Gassho, J

SatToday
                    Hello,

The respect given to the "upside-down" image is incomparable. Please note: the Americas resemble a bird; India and Africa is flipping 'the bird' and Australia is shrugging, "It's all good."

Wonderful, thank you.

Gassho
                    Myosha
                    sat today
                    Last edited by Myosha; 02-16-2017, 11:33 AM.
                    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Comment

• Jundo
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by TomSchulte
                      Yep, I was asking regarding this tradition's feelings on public display. Goenka (Vipassana) for instance cautions against meditating in public in an obvious manner, eyes closed and one of the cross leg postures, but does encourage meditating any time in a non-obvious way.
                      Hi Tom,

I don't think it is a matter of public display or not. Certainly, we do not try to be a spectacle in order to feel how special or spiritual we are personally. I often sit in public spaces, such as a park bench or on a train, but I do not try to be a spectacle. When on the train, I do not crawl into the Lotus Posture (that would certainly bother the person sitting next to me), but just put my hands together over my lap and sit ... until I reach my stop.

On the other hand, if somebody happens to see me sitting in Lotus under a tree in a park (I do sometimes), it might inspire somebody. In that case, it is not about me, but is helpful to inspire them to sit.

There has been a movement to engage in public sittings for Peace, a kind of Zen "sit in", and I support that. I tried to encourage that around here too (although I met with a surprising amount of resistance at the time). Our Sangha friend, Daiho Hilbert Roshi, is a practitioner. He earned it. I still feel that we should do that here.

A dharma talk by Rev. Daiho Harvey Hilbert of the Order of Clear Mind Zen in Las Cruces, New Mexico. In this talk, delivered in April of 2014 during a weeken...

Gassho, J

SatToday
                      Last edited by Jundo; 02-16-2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• AdamH
                        • Jun 2015

Love it!
                        Gassho,
                        Adam
                        Sat today

Comment

• Makkusu
                          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Jundo
                          Hi Max,

As to legs falling asleep, this is usually pressure on the sciatic nerve, which can be alleviated by shifting the weight off that spot, and also sitting on the Zafu correctly so that it does not pinch the spot. It still happens to anyone sometimes, but have a look here:

I've noticed as I've started sitting longer (after each of the Zazen lessons for beginners I find I sit more to let things sink in) I've been having a problem with pins and needles in my legs when I get up. I was sitting half-lotus, but then as I noticed this happening I tried switching to burmese, and I've tried supported

Gassho, J

SatToday
                          Hey,

I fixed the leg problem now. I don't know how, but by spreading my legs slightly farther apart, they don't fall asleep. Or my body got used to it. Anyway, now that I sit pretty solid for 15 minutes straight, my butt starts to fall asleep. A while ago, I read that one should kinda "sit on his tailbone", at least this seems to be the most solid way.

Gassho, Max
                          #sattoday

Comment

• Michael Joseph
                            • Mar 2017

Jundo,

I just want to let you know that I have really been enjoying the talks and the techniques that you use to illustrate them. More than once, I've cleaned my mind with a hammer or a blender. They work as well as a broom. Also, I owe you particular thanks for the talk on cross-legged sitting. I have been having trouble with the legs (like you, I'm 50-something and not thin and limber--thimber, if you will), but I have been trying out different positions. Fortunately, you've reassured me that sitting is the point; whatever the position, I just make sure that I have no "loose ends."

Gassho,
                            Michael J.
                            SatToday

Comment

• PClark1
                              • Apr 2017

I have been going through the new member video series and I have to say that Jundo's teaching method really resonates with me. The points are so concise and well presented. I'm only seven videos in and I already have noticed an improvement in my zazen from putting those teachings into practice.

Thank you, so very much for this video series.

Gassho,

Paul

Sat today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Tom
                                • Jan 2013

its hard SeaChel, that impatience, for me at least, has been an important part of practice. ("hello impatience my old friend, it's nice to talk to you again.") There's a timer out there that gongs every five minutes, or whatever intervals you want it to. But for me the five-minute interval just facilitated more impatience. http://www.onlinemeditationtimer.com/. The settling period it allows, though, is useful. I use it to recite the precepts, say atonement, and read or chant the sutra I'm working on.
                                Gassho,
                                SatToday

Comment

Working...