X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zrebna
    • Dec 2021

Originally posted by Jundo
    To each there own body. Just do not obsess about which way is better.

But, when the bell rings until the bell rings again, try not to switch unless there is really necessity.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Yes, within a session I really try to not move at all "whatever happens" so to speak i.e. I push through some discomfort...

At the beginning I did not want to alternate legs from session to session, but as from today I have started to do so in order to avoid potential longterm problems...for some reason the discomfort in my left hip is larger and comes quicker around the corner when my left leg is upper in half lotus...I will continue to stretch my hips regularly and maybe it will get better over time.

Preferrably I did not want to have to alternate legs from session to session (as said) because I think that it might be easier for the brain to only need to "know" one posture to really make it "second nature". But on the other hand 2 postures (still half lotus but alternating legs) should be a small enough number so that one should hopefully not have trouble to make those postures "second nature".

I will just observe how it goes within the next few weeks - in case the discomfort and pain will not be reduced in a few weeks despite stretching and what not, I just might switch to a quarter lotus which I personally prefer to a burmese posture since it gives my knees less pressure...

PS.: The hand mudra I do not alternate by the way and hope that's fine - this means, no matter if my left or right leg is upper,
    always my left hand is on top of the right hand.

Sorry for the long post.

Gassho
    Chris
    Sat today

Comment

• Kokuu
      Treeleaf Priest
      • Nov 2012

At the beginning I did not want to alternate legs from session to session, but as from today I have started to do so in order to avoid potential longterm problems...for some reason the discomfort in my left hip is larger and comes quicker around the corner when my left leg is upper in half lotus...I will continue to stretch my hips regularly and maybe it will get better over time.
      I think that is a good idea, Chris. I used to do the same when I started sitting for a reasonable length of time and it was helpful to my longer-term comfort in the posture(s).

Gassho
      Kokuu
      -sattoday-

Comment

• Bion
        Treeleaf Unsui
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Zrebna
        Yes, within a session I really try to not move at all "whatever happens" so to speak i.e. I push through some discomfort...

Preferrably I did not want to have to alternate legs from session to session (as said) because I think that it might be easier for the brain to only need to "know" one posture to really make it "second nature". But on the other hand 2 postures (still half lotus but alternating legs) should be a small enough number so that one should hopefully not have trouble to make those postures "second nature".

I will just observe how it goes within the next few weeks - in case the discomfort and pain will not be reduced in a few weeks despite stretching and what not, I just might switch to a quarter lotus which I personally prefer to a burmese posture since it gives my knees less pressure...

PS.: The hand mudra I do not alternate by the way and hope that's fine - this means, no matter if my left or right leg is upper,
        always my left hand is on top of the right hand.

Sorry for the long post.

Gassho
        Chris
        Sat today
        The mudra never changes!

Let me just say, for the posture to “become second nature”, all you need to do it sit in it.. day in and day out. It’s not about “thinking” it or worrying about it, cause we don’t stop and think of how we use our hands to eat, or how we step when we walk, or how we breathe, right? We simply do. Zazen is like that. [emoji3526]

[emoji1374] Sat Today (and ran a little long as well)
        "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Jundo
          Treeleaf Founder and Priest
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Bion
          The mudra never changes!
          As the father of a leftie, I think that there is some discrimination here.

Tradition smadition, I don't think it matters whether left over right or right over left.

By the way, did you ever look closely at the mudra of most Buddha statues?? Notice which hand is on the bottom??

Gassho, J

STlah
          ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Bion
            Treeleaf Unsui
            • Aug 2020

As the father of a leftie, I think that there is some discrimination here.

Tradition smadition, I don't think it matters whether left over right or right over left.

By the way, did you ever look closely at the mudra of most Buddha statues?? Notice which hand is on the bottom??

Gassho, J

STlah
            Ha! Nice one! Even better then!!! I stand totally corrected!

[emoji1374] Sat Today
            "Stepping back with open hands, is thoroughly comprehending life and death. Immediately you can sparkle and respond to the world." - Hongzhi

Comment

• Meian
              • Apr 2015

Husband and older daughter are both lefties. [emoji3059]

Gassho, meian stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
              鏡道 |​ Kyodo (Meian) | "Mirror of the Way"
              visiting Unsui
              Nothing I say is a teaching, it's just my own opinion.

Comment

• Jundo
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Bion
                Ha! Nice one! Even better then!!! I stand totally corrected!

[emoji1374] Sat Today
                A traditional point may have been that only a full blown Buddha can sit so ... we are not allowed to.

But here is more on the topic of anti-south paw discrimination that you probably care (or need) to know ...

~~~~

In Fukanzazengi, Master Dogen writes ...

Then place your right hand on your left leg and your left hand on your right palm, thumb-tips lightly touching.

A respected Buddhist art historian says:

Zenjō-in 禅定印 [meaning “Meditation Mudra”] ... Made by placing both hands in the lap, right on top of left, with palms turned upward and thumbs touching to form a circle. It symbolizes the Buddha in a state of meditation. ... In addition, Zen artwork frequently portrays Shaka (the Historical Buddha) with the ordinary meditation mudra, but the position of both hands is often reversed (left on top of right, not right on top of left). This is called Zenshūyō-no-Shaka (Shaka in the Style of the Zen Sect).
                But does it matter? In some areas of traditional Chinese medicine, some people make a big deal of this (the same prejudice found in the west for the "sinister" left). I would not make a big deal of this. I have heard some other Zen teachers of many years experience commenting on it. Let me briefly quote from the article by the current abbot of Antaiji, Muho Noelke, for those who don't know ...

In the "introduction to Zazen"... Sawaki Roshi [ states that] " ... . First you should know the difference between two ways of sitting: Gômaza, the "posture that subdues demons", and kichijôza, the "auspicious posture". Even in old texts, there is quite some confusion about the two postures. In short, the right side represents the ascending, active (yang) aspect. The left side represents the descending, passive (yin) aspect. When the right foot rests on the left thigh, that represents the ascending activity that subdues the demons (gômaza). When the left foot rests on the right thigh, that is a descending, passive activity which is auspicious (kichijôza).
                You might think that this is only true for the half lotus. But that is not the case: In full lotus as well, if you first place your right foot on top of the left thigh, that is called gômaza. Gômaza also means to place the right hand first on the left foot. When the right hand is covered next with the left hand, that settles down the mind. In kichijôza on the other hand, the left foot is placed first on the right thigh (and then the right foot on the left thight) and the left hand is placed on top of the right foot, then the right hand on top of the left hand. That means that we speak of kichijôza in the case of half lotus as Dogen Zenji describes it - left foot placed on right thigh - while we speak of gômaza in the case of the full lotus (with right foot placed on left thigh first, then left foot placed on right thigh)."

Although Sawaki Roshi tries to clear up the confusion with these words, I have doubts that he is successful. It seems strange that Dogen Zenji should recommend kichijôza for half lotus and gômaza for full lotus. Sawaki Roshi does not tell us why we should sit one way in half lotus and the other way in full lotus. It is interesting but even more confusing that Sawaki also speaks about the hands. In the case of the hands, we should have them in the gômaza-posture regardless of half or full lotus - according to Dogen read in the way Sawaki does. I am afraid that Sawaki's way of reading Dogen though is not only confusing, but probably wrong altogether.
                Personally, I think the who thing is a bunch of hogwash, based upon bits of ancient Chinese medicine and ideas of Ki, Yin Yang, traditional "left side/right side" ideas and superstitions, and the prejudice of of "right" handed folks against the "sinister" left. It is a quaint idea, nothing more.

Several respected older Western Zen teachers were discussing the article recently, and don't see the difference between left and right. I usually favor the right, as I am right handed. It feels strange for to place the hands, for example, with the left hand on the bottom. However, I do not see any magic property in sitting one way or the other. If something feels strange about one side or the other, it is the same strangeness of a left hander trying to play tennis with a right handed grip and visa versa.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

Comment

• Bion
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Aug 2020

A traditional point may have been that only a full blown Buddha can sit so ... we are not allowed to.

But here is more on the topic of anti-south paw discrimination that you probably care (or need) to know ...

~~~~

In Fukanzazengi, Master Dogen writes ...

Then place your right hand on your left leg and your left hand on your right palm, thumb-tips lightly touching.

A respected Buddhist art historian says:

But does it matter? In some areas of traditional Chinese medicine, some people make a big deal of this (the same prejudice found in the west for the "sinister" left). I would not make a big deal of this. I have heard some other Zen teachers of many years experience commenting on it. Let me briefly quote from the article by the current abbot of Antaiji, Muho Noelke, for those who don't know ...

Personally, I think the who thing is a bunch of hogwash, based upon bits of ancient Chinese medicine and ideas of Ki, Yin Yang, traditional "left side/right side" ideas and superstitions, and the prejudice of of "right" handed folks against the "sinister" left. It is a quaint idea, nothing more.

Several respected older Western Zen teachers were discussing the article recently, and don't see the difference between left and right. I usually favor the right, as I am right handed. It feels strange for to place the hands, for example, with the left hand on the bottom. However, I do not see any magic property in sitting one way or the other. If something feels strange about one side or the other, it is the same strangeness of a left hander trying to play tennis with a right handed grip and visa versa.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
                  Wow, thanks for that information. I’ve never pondered as to why the mudra is left over right, so that’s good to know. For me it’s always been about respecting the teaching passed down through generations, with no regard for the “benefit” of one over the other: it’s just how we do it.
                  In reality, I do it cause I have two hands and can sit on two legs, but my zazen, I feel, would be in no way superior to that of someone without arms or legs, who can’t form the mudra.

Thank you for being the benevolent and patient encyclopedia you are [emoji1374] [emoji1374]

Sat Today ( and used too many words.. which I apologize for)

Comment

• Zrebna
                    • Dec 2021

Really interesting stuff on the "how to form the mudra"-topic.
                    I also do not believe that there is something "magical" going on i.e. that it really would matter (if left on right or vice versa) and in addition to that it's somewhat amusing that in other big tradtions such as within the Theravada School it is apparently completely the opposite i.e. there the default/"official" recommendation seems to be to place the right hand on the left hand - also the fingers are fully stretched and the thumbs would not touch...

Anyways, thanks for the input, as usual.

Gassho
                    Chris
                    Sat today

Comment

• Tomás ESP
                      • Aug 2020

When one hears a sound, one does not need to make an effort to hear it, it comes naturally. Could the same principle be applied to Shikantaza? Think not-thinking, by going beyond thinking and just abiding in a continuous flow of experiencing without grasping or rejecting anything. Does that make sense?

Gassho, Tomás
                      Sat&LaH

Comment

• Shokai
                        Treeleaf Priest
                        • Mar 2009

Ha, Buddha was a south paw. As in baseball, there is a myth that south paws are harder to hit against. But, in my opinion, when you face enough left handed pitchers, you get where their coming from.

gasho, Shokai
                        stlah
                        合掌,生開
                        gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Tobiishi
                          • Jan 2009

For what it's worth... I place left on top of right on purpose because it does feel unnatural (I'm right-handed), in order to be acutely aware of what I'm doing. It reminds me that I am placing my hands in a particular position on purpose. I do the same thing when exercising or doing yoga- left side first just to make a point to myself and be aware. Anyway.

Kodo Tobiishi stlah
                          It occurs to me that my attachment to this body is entirely arbitrary. All the evidence is subjective.

Comment

• Jundo
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Tomás ESP
                            When one hears a sound, one does not need to make an effort to hear it, it comes naturally. Could the same principle be applied to Shikantaza? Think not-thinking, by going beyond thinking and just abiding in a continuous flow of experiencing without grasping or rejecting anything. Does that make sense?

Gassho, Tomás
                            Sat&LaH
                            Yes.

I don't try to hear it or force it, and just relax and listen.

If I may compare this to being at a classical music concert, saying to oneself "I really want to hear this music, I really want to hear this music." One will not really hear the music. But, when one truly relaxes, and just does not think or try much of anything, the music just washes through one ... and one might even become the sound, and the sound is just you.

Something like that.

My only quibble with some views of meditation is with the view that "it is only real meditation, going well, when I am completely swept up in the music, forgetting myself." I don't think so. Such moments are precious, and not to be ignored ... they enrich us and are necessary to this Path. However, they are not the entire, wonderful "concert experience!" I like driving to the theatre, getting stuck in traffic on the way, buying popcorn in the lobby (do that have that at classical concerts? if not, cheese ), sitting there sometimes lost in thought about other things yet the music and my thoughts blend together ... then remembering where I am, and coming back again and again to the performance. I even love when the show is over, the curtain comes down and it is time to come home.

ALL of this is "enlightenment" to the wise ear in Dogen's arrangement. It is not only the moments when we are swept up in, and become, the music.

What is more, on the way back into the world, when the orchestra has gone silent, the theatre is shut, and we are thrown again into the noise and clamor of the city or our messy lives, hopefully the beauty and harmony of the symphony is still in our bones. It is all LIFE'S SYMPHONY to the Buddha's Ear.

Something like that. I hope it makes sense.

Sorry to run long.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
                            Last edited by Jundo; 01-20-2022, 05:32 AM.

Comment

• Bokugan
                              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Tomás ESP

Gassho, Tomás
                              Sat&LaH
                              This makes perfect sense to me, Tomás

Perhaps shikantaza could even be thought of as a way to practice "not experiencing" --- but that statement is in the same spirit as what you posted. Words are hard for this stuff!

If we are not defining the sound, and it "just is", your analogy seems like a really good one to me

Gassho,

Bokugan
                              SatToday
                              墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
                              Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Comment

• Bokugan
                                • Dec 2019

Yes.

I don't try to hear it or force it, and just relax and listen.

If I may compare this to being at a classical music concert, saying to oneself "I really want to hear this music, I really want to hear this music." One will not really hear the music. But, when one truly relaxes, and just does not think or try much of anything, the music just washes through one ... and one might even become the sound, and the sound is just you.

Something like that.

My only quibble with some views of meditation is with the view that "it is only real meditation, going well, when I am completely swept up in the music, forgetting myself." I don't think so. Such moments are precious, and not to be ignored ... they enrich us and are necessary to this Path. However, they are not the entire, wonderful "concert experience!" I like driving to the theatre, getting stuck in traffic on the way, buying popcorn in the lobby (do that have that at classical concerts? if not, cheese and wine ), sitting there sometimes lost in thought about other things yet the music and my thoughts blend together ... then remembering where I am, and coming back again and again to the performance. I even love when the show is over, the curtain comes down and it is time to come home.

ALL of this is "enlightenment" to the wise ear in Dogen's arrangement. It is not only the moments when we are swept up in, and become, the music.

What is more, on the way back into the world, when the orchestra has gone silent, the theatre is shut, and we are thrown again into the noise and clamor of the city or our messy lives, hopefully the beauty and harmony of the symphony is still in our bones. It is all LIFE'S SYMPHONY to the Buddha's Ear.

Something like that. I hope it makes sense.

Sorry to run long.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I did not see Jundo's response until after I posted! This is wonderful: "hopefully the beauty and harmony of the symphony is still in our bones"

Our shikantaza practice helps us to be in tune with the whole wonderful "concert experience", even the traffic jams.

Thank you

Gassho,
                                Bokugan
                                墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
                                Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Comment

Working...