Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rj
    • Aug 2021

Zen Sports: Any runners out there?

While running today, I couldn't help but notice some similarities between "just running" and "just sitting": hearing/following my breath, thinking of nothing but the ground in front of my feet, not stopping til the timer went off... Any other runners out there notice the same? Is this an example of taking our practice off the cushion and into everyday life?

st/rj
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-18-2021, 04:18 AM.
  • Gareth
    • Jun 2020

Hello,

Yes, I think so too.

I did an unofficial half marathon by myself this year

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today, Lah

Comment

• Shinshi
      Treeleaf Unsui
      • Jul 2010

Yes indeed. In case you don't know Jundo' teacher Gudō Wafu Nishijima was a serious runner.

I firmly believe that running is an extension/manifestation of Zen practice (but maybe not if you are wearing head phones).

One of my mantras when I run is: "Run in beauty". There is beauty in being and moving in the environment. There is beauty in everything you see - even if other people might see it as trash. There is beauty in the movement - as it happens. There is beauty in the act of running, there is beauty in breathing in and out of being alive. It is a moment by moment experience - at least to me.

I will be running my fourth Boston Marathon on Oct. 11th. I am very lucky in that I made it into the in person/ in Boston race. One of the few things about getting older is the qualifying time is lower.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
      Last edited by Shinshi; 09-06-2021, 11:26 PM.
      空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
      There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
      -Dogen
      E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Nengei
        • Dec 2016

I am a trail runner. My A race (I don't really race, but...) is Leadville, in Colorado. I haven't gone the past couple of years because of COVID, but I am hoping to be back next year. Yes to it being a part of my practice, but it is definitely not the same a zazen or kinhin. I think zazen helps my running, but I'm not sure the reverse is true.

Gassho
        Nengei
        Sat today. LAH.
        Last edited by Nengei; 09-07-2021, 12:21 AM.
        遜道念芸 Sondō Nengei (he/him)

Please excuse any indication that I am trying to teach anything. I am a priest in training and have no qualifications or credentials to teach Zen practice or the Dharma.

Comment

• Seikan
          • Apr 2020

I used to be an avid runner averaging around 15+ miles per week, and I always saw it as an extension of practice. I never ran with headphones as I wanted to be fully present and aware of the world around me. Many of my friends that run thought I was crazy as they can't imagine running without music--they see it as too boring. I would counter-argue that there's nothing boring about it if one actually pays attention.

However, I stopped running a little over a year ago for a number of reasons, and while I do miss it to some degree, I'm currently quite content with walking about 3 miles per day (also without headphones) along with my daily Taijiquan practice.

Shinshi, that's awesome that you're running Boston this year! Any other year, I'd happily be part of your local cheering team, but I will be in NYC for that long weekend. Let me know if you plan to stay in the area for a few days afterwards. It would be great to meet up with a fellow Treeleafer, even if just for a quick coffee and a "hello".

Gassho,
          Seikan

-stlah-
          聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Comment

• Tairin
            • Feb 2016

I think this can be true for many activities but yes I have experienced similarities between “just sitting” and “just running”. For the record I’ve also experienced this “just guitaring”.

Tairin
            Sat today as lah
            泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

All of life is our temple

Comment

• Rob Parisien
              • Sep 2021

I agree! for me running is also very much like zazen. I run around 60 miles a week - training for the Philadelphia marathon in Nov. The pain of running fast on a hard run can sometimes make me feel disconnected, contracted, lost in my own constructed world, and when I realize this and breathe and feel my body moving the pain often goes away and I get glimpses of feeling really alive and present. its very much like how I have to bring my mind back to the here and now after being lost in thought in my zazen practice.

Gassho
              Rob
              Sat today
              “Be humble; you are made of dust. Be noble; you are made of stars”

Comment

• Shinshi
                Treeleaf Unsui
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Seikan
                I used to be an avid runner averaging around 15+ miles per week, and I always saw it as an extension of practice. I never ran with headphones as I wanted to be fully present and aware of the world around me. Many of my friends that run thought I was crazy as they can't imagine running without music--they see it as too boring. I would counter-argue that there's nothing boring about it if one actually pays attention.

However, I stopped running a little over a year ago for a number of reasons, and while I do miss it to some degree, I'm currently quite content with walking about 3 miles per day (also without headphones) along with my daily Taijiquan practice.

Shinshi, that's awesome that you're running Boston this year! Any other year, I'd happily be part of your local cheering team, but I will be in NYC for that long weekend. Let me know if you plan to stay in the area for a few days afterwards. It would be great to meet up with a fellow Treeleafer, even if just for a quick coffee and a "hello".

Gassho,
                Seikan

-stlah-
                Hi Seikan,

Sadly it is going to be a quick get there and get home for me. Getting there Saturday PM and leaving Tuesday AM. It would have been great to meet up. Trying to keep COVID exposure to a miniumum.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                There are those who, attracted by grass, flowers, mountains, and waters, flow into the Buddha way.
                -Dogen
                E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Shinshi
                  Treeleaf Unsui
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Tairin
                  I think this can be true for many activities but yes I have experienced similarities between “just sitting” and “just running”. For the record I’ve also experienced this “just guitaring”.

Tairin
                  Sat today as lah
                  Yes, completely agree about the "just guitaring". And just basketballing. So many experiences can be in the moment when all else drops away.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
                  空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
                  -Dogen
                  E84I - JAJ

Comment

• Kotei
                    Treeleaf Unsui
                    • Mar 2015

Another runner here.
                    And yes, I too think of running as a kind of very fast Kinhin at times... Especially during the longruns.
                    Gassho,
                    Kotei sat/lah today.
                    義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Comment

• Soka
                      • Jan 2017

I don't really think of myself as a runner, it's just something I do sometimes. I don't run that often, but when I do I tend to go for a long run. I find that a long enough run makes me more compassionate and more grateful. I suspect that it informs my Buddhist practice and my practice informs my running. Both make me a more decent human being.

Gassho,
                      Sōka
                      sat

Comment

• tclark7
                        • Aug 2021

I like cycling a lot as well as running, and when doing them in the outdoors I find headphones to detract far more than they add. I haven't been able to do either for more than basic cardio in a while though, since I only have a stationary bike (just not the same). Currently, I'm adapting my feet to minimalist running shoes so am only doing very short, low-impact runs. I feel much more in tune with my running with the lack of padding and having to use different form, though. I look forward to increasing my run times over the coming year.
                        Disclaimer: Do your research if you plan to switch to minimalist running! It's very, very easy to injure your feet at first, and it's tempting to just try and do your normal run straight out of the gate.

Tim
                        ST
                        Last edited by tclark7; 09-07-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Seishin
                          • Aug 2016

RJ

Another runner here and kept going for 4 decades. With covid and my wife's health very hit and miss over the last 2 years but yesterday first run on treadmill of 20 minutes after a gap of 64 days, which is huge for me. Also not run outside for 2 1/2 years but the treadmill is a good substitute.

I see a lot of similarities between running and sitting. Somewhere in the mist of time a similar post was made and I made reference to a discovery I made after starting a more committed practice 5 years ago. Studying the natural breathing of zazen - not long, not short, not forced as Dogen makes reference to - I started adopting "Shikantaza Style Breathing" when I ran. Starting in the early 80s and the height of the running boom (stopped smoking when my daughter started walking and started then) I was scholar of the 2 steps/strides in 2 steps/strides out. It was in all the coaching books and it became a helpful mechanism when things got tough and was quickly adapted to my running mantra "Keep On Running Tobe" 2 in 2 out. That kept me good for 30 + years.

Adopting Shikantaza breathing when running was a revelation. Be it outdoors, on the trail or treadmill. Just breathe. Breathe as your body wants or needs. No regimen. I found my endurance improved, as natural zazen breathing actually reduced effort - the effort expended on the focusing and actuality of breathing.
                          I've been breathing this way now when running for around 4 years and do not think I would ever return to the championed method of 2 in 2 out.

Just Sit, Just Breathe, Just Run, Just Be.

Sat...............will run soon.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
                          Shin - Heart

Comment

• DanM
                            • Aug 2021

Another runner here .

I got in to running around the same time I started meditating and pretty much immediately noticed similarities and find them mutually beneficial. At times when running feels tough, focusing on "just running" helps me accept any discomfort and focus on the metres I'm running rather than the miles ahead. I was also much more accepting of not being able to run earlier this year after I injured my back than I might have been had I not been sitting zazen.

Similarly, running long distances has undoubtedly given me a mental resilience I don't think I had before, and I feel like that makes sitting easier.

Currently training for a half marathon which will be my first official race since injuring my back. Probably won't get a PB, but that's fine, I'm enjoying each training run as it happens.

Sat today/LAH

Comment

• Yokai
                              • Jan 2020

Great reflections everyone

35 years on I'm an old dog! Wonderful to see my son (10) leave me for dust with his cheeky grin

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah

Comment

Working...