Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meitou
    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Kendrick
    I have been contemplating the issue of clothing (in America at least). I know many of us patch and repair clothing to make our clothes last longer. However, in every workplace I've ever worked in (even industrial ones) there are very strict dress codes in place against "worn" clothing. A couple places I've worked have been as strict to not even allow clothing to be worn that is slightly faded in appearance. Tear a small tip in a pair of work pants? You have to buy new pants in those places since patching and sewn marks arne't allowed. Any frayed clothing, any holes, stains, tears, scuffs, or other wear marks render that article unwearable at work in those places. The only repair that can really be made while keeping to the dress code is resewing loose seams. Many of those places with those dress codes are low-wage jobs like fast food places, retail, factories, etc. meaning when the employee now has to replace something it's very likely they then also go for the cheapest option (since replacement is required so frequently). This drives fast fashion, encourages waste and overconsumption, and also has a very unhealthy dose of attaching value to people based on what they are wearing. Does a small patch on a pair of pants or a stitched tip on a shirt REALLY mean an employee is somehow less capable or less professional? I would definitely say NO, however that is the general mindset of many employers who worry customers look at their employees that way - critiquing their attire as if that person is somehow "dirty", or "lazy", or "underpaid" (which would make the company look bad). The school system dress codes are also VERY similiar for our students. No rips, holes, tears, patches, etc are allowed to be worn at school which also presents a serious problem for low income families.

This is a difficult barrier, socially, we need to overcome.

While my current employer is a small business and doesn't have a written dress code I'm sure I couldn't get away with wearing visibly worn clothing in my position without it at least being mentioned or looked down on. The vast majority of my clothing would be totally unacceptable in most work places, and something as simple as a drop of ketchup landing on a pair of pants can render an article totally unwearable again at those jobs.

The same issue goes with shoes as well, and even extends to moral issues somewhat. No scuffs, no worn soles, no messed up strings, and my previous employer required their retail workers all wear REAL leather shoes - no synthetic leather, no canvas. This wasn't even based on safety, it was in place for comformity and standardizing appearance - they thought shoes that weren't real leather were "cheap" and "unprofessional". Keep in mind those employees made $8/hour hanging clothes and running cash registers. While I am not a vegan, I posed the question to them anyway about requiring vegans at our company to use animal products and was met with "these are the rules they will follow". Same applied to religious headwear (not allowed), and jewlry (only a wedding ring was allowed).

All in all, with such unyielding and strict dress codes, it might be a large part of our mindset when it comes to consumption of clothing.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/LAH
    Kendrick, I have to admit that I'm shocked by the demands of these employers, especially regarding leather shoes. That's actually appalling. I've always felt that if a certain look or type of clothing is required in the workplace, then the company must provide uniforms or financial help. If employees are not in a customer facing job, then a dress code shouldn't be necessary. I'm sorry you have had to go through this stuff, and admire your equanimity in the face of it.

I'm just leaving a couple of links here to articles in Tricycle Magazine regarding Buddhism and the Climate Change movement. No doubt many of you will have seen eco warrior Greta Thunberg speaking in her own inimitable way in the last few days and might want to know a bit more about how we as Buddhists could frame our practice to include action for change.

First, how Buddhists are contributing to Extinction Rebellion
    The Buddhists of Extinction Rebellion
    https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/exti...ion-buddhists/ via @tricyclemag

And then a very interesting and thought provoking article by David Loy, author of Ecodharma:Buddhist Teachings for the Ecological Crisis.
    If Buddhism is to address the ecological crisis, it must clarify its essential message.

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Comment

• Heiso
      • Jan 2019

The next phase of the Extinction Rebellion started this morning in London and Rebels have already blocked Lambeth Bridge, the Mall, Horse Guards, Westminster Bridge, Victoria St & Millbank. There are ways to help remotely if anyone wants to get involved.

It seems fitting that in our Jukai studies this week we read the second chapter of Mind of Clover where Robert Aitken writes about the vigorous religious practice of not killing our environment and speaking truth to power.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah
      Last edited by Heiso; 10-07-2019, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Doshin
        • May 2015

Originally posted by EnlistedHipster
        The next phase of the Extinction Rebellion started this morning in London and Rebels have already blocked Lambeth Bridge, the Mall, Horse Guards, Westminster Bridge, Victoria St & Millbank. There are ways to help remotely if anyone wants to get involved.

It seems fitting to read that in our Jukai studies this week we read the second chapter of Mind of Clover where Robert Aitken writes about vigorous religious practice of not killing our environment and speaking truth to power.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Doshin
        St

Comment

• Meitou
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by EnlistedHipster

It seems fitting that in our Jukai studies this week we read the second chapter of Mind of Clover where Robert Aitken writes about the vigorous religious practice of not killing our environment and speaking truth to power.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah
          Big deep bows to all activists, who this time around are on the receiving end of some rougher than usual treatment. But they don't mind! They seem to meet all challenges with equanimity, great good humour and are completely unbowed.
          Gassho
          Meitou
          sattodaylah
          命 Mei - life
          島 Tou - island

Comment

• brucef
            • Jan 2016

This is a great thread.

A vegan plant based diet definitely helps...just Google "vegan climate change". So much info. It's also healthy.

Even if people don't have much space at home, I think it's a good idea to at least grow as many herbs as possible, especially the staples like parsley, rosemary, basil, dill etc. Home grown herbs are fresher, more nutritious and cheaper than the supermarket stuff.

A lot of the things that are healthy for the environment are also healthy for us personally.

There are so many vegan plant based recipes on the web these days, plus I get a lot of my kitchen ideas from Facebook groups. Personally, I love "Buddha Bowl" meals. Rice, beans and veggies - who needs more?

Gassho
            Bruce
            st/lah

Comment

• Heiso
              • Jan 2019

By way of an update - at least 600 arrests made in London so far, 1200 globally.

I was particularly moved by the 'Faith Bridge' group. An ecumenical group of various religions who blocked and held Lambeth Bridge for 12 hours before regrouping in Trafalgar Sq. At least 13 of that group have been arrested including 3 'rebel reverends'.

At least 6 large sites are still being blocked with further action planned.

Gassho,

Neil

StLah

Comment

Working...