X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taigu
    Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
    • Aug 2008

BOOK OF EQUANIMITY- case 23

544d89c28c4c2d3c5d97c7dcb3e15643[1].jpgWhenever Roso saw a monk coming he would face the wall...

I let you read and take in the inspiring prose of Gerry Shishin. What is facing the wall after all? i still vividly remember the impressions and perceptions of my first sitting as a young teenager, some 35 years ago, and the endless game of my eyes sweeeping the whitish wall, both bored and amazed.

Expressing the path with words is pointless yet necessay. When people come and inquire about the Buddha Dharma what shall we say? Roso turned his whole body-mind into a living- silent mouth, speaking an eloquent silence, carving subtle clouds within and letting them dissolve. This is what precedes Kalpas and birth itself. The ground is naked there. The empty field made visible. Sitting facing the wall is displaying the seal of reality, it is the absolute realization that freedom doesn t have to give itself space to unfold, the the open quality, the spacious sitting- being makes even a simple wall as vast as this boundless reality we are and live in. The wall is a great cure to distraction, a very good way to cut any story short, give up the chase, and not being carried away but being redirected to just this. When we sit in front of the wall we meet heaven and hell, we transmigrate and go through all realms, we wake up to the very truth that we are the makers of all this. We sit with our own self-world in full view.

This practice is the ultimate practice, in all forms of Buddhism, its given for the most advanced students, in Zen we are all advanced and all beginners. We start where it ends. We end up where it always starts. Facing the wall in Dogen s words is another way to relentlessly polish the tile to make a mirror. To eat painted rice cakes. It trancends the dual and goes beyond oneness itself.

Whatever you say, it will miss the mark. So what words do you have to point at the pearl?

Gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 01-12-2013, 02:17 AM.
  • Jishin
    • Oct 2012

i am...

Comment

• Shokai
      Treeleaf Priest
      • Mar 2009

I remember facing a shoji screen and hearing a temple bell thank you Taigu
      合掌,生開
      gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Mp

I share the words of silence.

Gassho
        Michael

Comment

• RichardH
          • Nov 2011

Practical ones.

Gassho, kojip.

Comment

• Jakudo
            • May 2009

Mu!
            Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
            It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
            "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
            寂道

Comment

• Shogen
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Taigu
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]846[/ATTACH]Whenever Roso saw a monk coming he would face the wall...

I let you read and take in the inspiring prose of Gerry Shishin. What is facing the wall after all? i still vividly remember the impressions and perceptions of my first sitting as a young teenager, some 35 years ago, and the endless game of my eyes sweeeping the whitish wall, both bored and amazed.

Expressing the path with words is pointless yet necessay. When people come and inquire about the Buddha Dharma what shall we say? Roso turned his whole body-mind into a living- silent mouth, speaking an eloquent silence, carving subtle clouds within and letting them dissolve. This is what precedes Kalpas and birth itself. The ground is naked there. The empty field made visible. Sitting facing the wall is displaying the seal of reality, it is the absolute realization that freedom doesn t have to give itself space to unfold, the the open quality, the spacious sitting- being makes even a simple wall as vast as this boundless reality we are and live in. The wall is a great cure to distraction, a very good way to cut any story short, give up the chase, and not being carried away but being redirected to just this. When we sit in front of the wall we meet heaven and hell, we transmigrate and go through all realms, we wake up to the very truth that we are the makers of all this. We sit with our own self-world in full view.

This practice is the ultimate practice, in all forms of Buddhism, its given for the most advanced students, in Zen we are all advanced and all beginners. We start where it ends. We end up where it always starts. Facing the wall in Dogen s words is another way to relentlessly polish the tile to make a mirror. To eat painted rice cakes. It trancends the dual and goes beyond oneness itself.

Whatever you say, it will miss the mark. So what words do you have to point at the pearl?

Gassho

Taigu
              "What Is"/"Original Mind." Perfection without equal or opposite. Gassho Shogen

Comment

• Taigu
                Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
                • Aug 2008

By the way, the so called wall is not a wall, but by now you should have that one figured out.

The fool

Comment

• Shokai
                  Treeleaf Priest
                  • Mar 2009

When sitting zazen I face a door which btw, is not a gate
                  合掌,生開
                  gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Comment

• Daitetsu
                    • Oct 2012

There is no tile.
                    no thing needs to be added

Comment

• Mp

There is no wall.

Gassho
                      Shingen

Comment

• Daitetsu
                        • Oct 2012

Hey Shingen - I wonder whether Taigu hits us with his stick on our heads now and asks us where the pain comes from, hehe...

Gassho,

Timo
                        no thing needs to be added

Comment

• Shokai
                          Treeleaf Priest
                          • Mar 2009

Pain is just a label for a physiological sensation
                          合掌,生開
                          gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Comment

• Mp

Originally posted by LimoLama
                            Hey Shingen - I wonder whether Taigu hits us with his stick on our heads now and asks us where the pain comes from, hehe...

Gassho,

Timo
                            Hey Timo ... like Shokai just said, "Pain is just a label for a physiological sensation" ... there is not pain. Guidance comes in many forms.

Gassho
                            Shingen

Comment

• Jeff
                              • Dec 2012

How can traces be swept away, the footprints be eliminated? Water.

As I am contemplating this my mind asks is zazen the water? Does zazen create the water? Are they both water?

Too many words and too much thought.

Gassho

Jeff

Comment

Working...