Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ekai
    • Feb 2011

Re: May 26th, 2012 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai ... with Sada

Jundo had it way too easy with Sada :lol: . Hunter was completely opposite :shock: . He was jumping all over the couch, trying to reach for the iPad to play Curious George, ramming his riding rocket into his toys, dumping his toys all over the living room floor, yelling at the top of lungs, had me change the DVD from Toy Story 3 to Cars 2 ( yes, Cars 2 was playing in the background ) and kept getting into our other DVDs. This was throughout the entire Zazenkai and it was great!

When Jundo was out of sight during his extra Kinhin with Sada, Hunter noticed and said "broken! "

Thanks for sitting everyone.

Gassho,
    Ekai

Comment

• Kyonin
      Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
      • Oct 2010

Thank you, Jundo. It was nice to see Sada-chan!

While everyone was sitting zazen I sneaked up and took this picture of the Hangout

Thanks all who sat / will sit. Have a great weekend!
      Hondō Kyōnin
      奔道 協忍

Comment

• Yugen

Looks like that guy in the photo needs the Kyosaku! :lol:

Reminds me of Taisen Deshimaru's experience with the Kyosaku, which I share below - I think you will enjoy it!

After hearing that the essence of Mahayana Buddhism was to be found in Zen, I went to the Engakuji Temple, a Rinzai Temple, in Kamakura for a sesshin. We got up every morning at 2 A.M. and did zazen until 6 A.M. And at night there was no sleeping. We did zazen outside with the mosquitoes. And then the kyosaku - I received the stick from morning until night, and my body had turned all red. Five days went by. I kept my patience. But then, on the sixth day, the Kyosaku-man, who must have been sleepy like everyone else, hit me with the stick - not on the shoulders, but on the top of the head. I got angry and jumped up and hit him back. We fought. Now, in Rinzai Temples, as everyone faces each other while in zazen, they all saw the fight. Everyone jumped up in order to stop me. But I was a champion swordsman at the time, and I had no difficulty keeping them off me. Of course, this has nothing to do with religion; it is just violence. Anyway, I had had enough, and so I went off to see the Master - who was in his room sleeping - and I woke him up and told him that I wished to leave, that I wanted to stop zazen. I told him all about the incident which had just taken place, and he laughed. “In the history of Zen,” the Master said, “no one but you has ever attacked the Kyosaku-man.”

In fact, this incident became famous - so much so that Japanese Rinzai monks were scared of me. And my own Master, Kodo Sawaki, would always warn the Kyosaku-man, “Watch out for Deshimaru when you hit him.” Consequently, everyone was afraid of me, and so I never got the kyosaku during zazen. The Kyosaku-men always kept clear of me. This is not so good. Later I came to regret that all this had happened.

Gassho
        Yugen

Comment

• Hoyu
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Yugen
          Reminds me of Taisen Deshimaru's experience with the Kyosaku, which I share below - I think you will enjoy it!

After hearing that the essence of Mahayana Buddhism was to be found in Zen, I went to the Engakuji Temple, a Rinzai Temple, in Kamakura for a sesshin. We got up every morning at 2 A.M. and did zazen until 6 A.M. And at night there was no sleeping. We did zazen outside with the mosquitoes. And then the kyosaku - I received the stick from morning until night, and my body had turned all red. Five days went by. I kept my patience. But then, on the sixth day, the Kyosaku-man, who must have been sleepy like everyone else, hit me with the stick - not on the shoulders, but on the top of the head. I got angry and jumped up and hit him back. We fought. Now, in Rinzai Temples, as everyone faces each other while in zazen, they all saw the fight. Everyone jumped up in order to stop me. But I was a champion swordsman at the time, and I had no difficulty keeping them off me. Of course, this has nothing to do with religion; it is just violence. Anyway, I had had enough, and so I went off to see the Master - who was in his room sleeping - and I woke him up and told him that I wished to leave, that I wanted to stop zazen. I told him all about the incident which had just taken place, and he laughed. “In the history of Zen,” the Master said, “no one but you has ever attacked the Kyosaku-man.”

In fact, this incident became famous - so much so that Japanese Rinzai monks were scared of me. And my own Master, Kodo Sawaki, would always warn the Kyosaku-man, “Watch out for Deshimaru when you hit him.” Consequently, everyone was afraid of me, and so I never got the kyosaku during zazen. The Kyosaku-men always kept clear of me. This is not so good. Later I came to regret that all this had happened.

Gassho
          Yugen
          [youtube] [/youtube]
          Ho (Dharma)
          Yu (Hot Water)

Comment

• Mp

Wonderful sitting ... Sada is a natural!

Gassho,
            Michael

Comment

• Gary
              • Nov 2010

Thank you all.

With gratitude,
              Gary
              Drinking tea and eating rice.

Comment

• Nenka
                • Aug 2010

Birdies and a baby! What a great sit.

Gassho

Jen

Comment

• Risho
                  • May 2010

Best baby zazenkai ever :mrgreen: Was that a Loyola shirt I saw? I went to Loyola University Chicago. Go Ramblers!

Gassho

Risho
                  Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Shokai
                    Treeleaf Priest
                    • Mar 2009

Thank you all!
                    合掌,生開
                    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Jinyo
                      • Jan 2012

That was lovely - why don't they recommend Kinhin for lulling the baby to
                      sleep in the baby manuals :wink:

Could this be an additional career opportunity Jundo 8)

Gassho

Willow

Comment

• Geika
                        Treeleaf Unsui
                        • Jan 2010

Loved the baby back pack! Reminds me of how my dad used to carry me around in a Jansport when I was young.
                        求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
                        I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
                          Friend of Treeleaf
                          • May 2010

Thanks and Gassho.
                          Myozan

Comment

Working...